IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Side Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 11:12 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Side Mirror

Anyone know how to take side mirror apart? someone hit it and crack the black trim part of the mirror.
Old 06-07-15, 11:21 AM
Thang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super easy, I followed this to swap out my puddle lights yesterday.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...light-led.html
Old 06-07-15, 11:37 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Thank you very much!
I just need to remove that black trim part, but they don't sell that piece by itself.

Now, can you slide the mirror between the black trim or is there plugs for the wires on the mirror?

Last edited by jkonquer; 06-07-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 02:33 PM
Thang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what you're asking. There are indeed wires that connect to the mirror though.
Old 06-07-15, 04:11 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

you cannot just buy the black plastic part. you have to buy the whole assembly. to remove and install the side mirror, you'll need to removed the door panel inside and unbolt it as well as disconnect the harness. the mirror itself can be removed by pulling it off.
Old 06-07-15, 09:56 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
you cannot just buy the black plastic part. you have to buy the whole assembly. to remove and install the side mirror, you'll need to removed the door panel inside and unbolt it as well as disconnect the harness. the mirror itself can be removed by pulling it off.
Actually if only the mirror housing above the hinge that needs to be fixed, there is no need to remove the door panel, unbolt it and disconnect the harness, etc..

To take the side mirror apart, you need to grab the lower portion of the mirror piece and lift it upwards to the point there the mirror will be separated from the mirror housing. (this is what is shown in some ClubLexus thread but the standard procedure from repair manual from the Toyota TIS is to use a certain flat prying tool to lift up and remove the mirror. But I find a bare hand is better.( Then you can access the 5 screws.

For clear instructions, there used to be a instruction for the mirror for CT which is similar in construction as far as the mirror assembly is concerned --- i.e., same upper painted cover with matte black plastic lower portion but the pictures seem to be gone.

The closest one is this which is for the 2nd gen IS. 3IS mirror assembly is much easier to be taken apart. You just need to pay attention of various pieces might fall apart accidentally --- there is the upper painted cover, the signal light, and the lower black plastic part.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...k-warning.html

A piece of advice --- better mask some area of the mirror assembly and make sure the car is clean. And expect you need to rest the mirror piece with the wires attached somewhere above the door trim and the upper door panel. Because of this reason, it is advisable to mask the metal trim and some part of the door and have some microfiber towels where you can wrap the hanging mirror and save from marring and swirls on the door.

Also when you put back the mirror glass to the mirror assembly, you have to make sure all tabs of the mirrors are attached properly. You will here some clicking sound when you press the mirror piece back to the mirror assembly.

Last edited by AndyL; 06-07-15 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 07:07 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

just for your references,

you can buy the black trim piece and colored housing piece for $100 at OEMlexusParts.com. The mirror itself costs $350 and the entire assembly costs $450.

BTW I popped out the mirror fairly easily and glue the broken piece for temporary solution.
Old 06-08-15, 07:43 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
just for your references,

you can buy the black trim piece and colored housing piece for $100 at OEMlexusParts.com. The mirror itself costs $350 and the entire assembly costs $450.

BTW I popped out the mirror fairly easily and glue the broken piece for temporary solution.
Yes, the price is right as the individual mirror assembly pieces can be bought separately, unlike the one from the 2nd gen IS. So it is much cheaper in that sense.

However, the mirror piece is quite expensive and it is more expensive if you have BSM, and other features loaded to the glass.