IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is250? Is200t?

Old 06-05-15, 02:15 AM
Nathan901
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is250? Is200t?

Hello everyone, I m new to this forum. Actually I m planning to buy my first is250 right now. The dealer are offering me 36881(before tax) for the is250 f sport with no nav, is it a good deal? I have done some research online, a lot of people saying there is a is200t gonna replace the is250 in 2016MY. What would you guys think? Is it a good time to get a is250 right now? I don't really know much about the engine things. Is it a big different between v6 and 2.0turbo? Which one will you guys go for? Thank you
Old 06-05-15, 07:23 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lexus is testing out the 200t in the crossover right now. If it does will, it will be offered in their more popular IS. The v6 has been with lexus for a LONG time. Reliable, and strong enough. The inline 4 turbo is new tech with better gas milage.

Personally, I'd jump on the turbo so fast.
Old 06-05-15, 07:25 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I would hold off until 2016 and see if the 200t is offered. The 2.5V6 to me is really blah. It would be excusable if it got really good gas mileage... but it's just mediocre.
Old 06-05-15, 07:47 AM
shirosan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the IS250, which is why I drive the IS350. The extra power between the two makes a big difference. As for the is200t, you will enjoy that car much more over the IS250.

The first recommendation I can give you is that if you are willing to go down this path you should lease an IS250 for a year and trade it in when the IS200t comes out. There will be more information in the fall on the new car...so leasing will satisfy your feel for a Lexus without having to keep it when the new model comes out.

The second recommendation I can give you is to check out what other's have done for leasing options on the CL forums. A lot of leasing in those forums are in the Cali side of the states. It will be great information on what you need to know to lease the car.

Otherwise wait and save your money....or get an IS350 which is pretty awesome lol.
Old 06-05-15, 07:51 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being an owner of an IS250 before, I would recommend to hold off until the Turbo version comes out. I would think that compared to the IS250, the turbo version would be a bit faster and get better gas mileage. The only thing I'm not sure of is the reliability of their turbo.
Old 06-05-15, 02:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I own the NX 200t and IS 250 (current gen and past gen) and here's my input. I have the best of both worlds so I can't complain! Hopefully you can take what's important to you and make a decision.

Power:
- The 2L Turbo has a softer launch but once past the 1 second initial lag, in a drag race the NX will beat the IS 250 by a good margin. 0-60 7.0 seconds on 4050 lbs. Imagine on a 3600 lb car will be around 6 seconds nearing the 350's performance.
My preference: 4cyl Turbo. Who doesn't like power?

Responsiveness:
- The V6 has more readily available torque the moment you hit the throttle and therefore initially responds more quickly (no lag) at low to moderate speeds, but when you apply more throttle, there's very little more the V6 gives in forward thrust whereas the Turbo gives more when you press more. At highway speeds, the Turbo shines since boost is more readily in use to maintain speed and therefore responsiveness and acceleration is better than the V6.
My preference: V6 thanks to its more usable and readily available power in city driving for those quick launches.

NVH:
- Both engines are buttery smooth and quiet, in fact the Turbo is the smoothest and quietest 4 cyl I've ever owned or experienced.
My preference: tie

Engine Note:
- The V6's engine note has character thanks to its deeper (smooth) growl under acceleration. The 4cyl Turbo, well, sounds like a 4 cyl with a slight sewing-machine whine in the background (Turbo spool).
My preference: V6 hands down since a nice engine and exhaust note contribute to the driving pleasure.

Fuel Economy:
- The NX matches the IS's fuel economy of about 22 mpg (in my case, 80% city). This speaks volumes to how much more efficient the Turbo is since the NX is 0.04 higher in drag coefficient and weighs 400 lbs more. Both require premium fuel.
My preference: 4cyl Turbo

Maintenance/Reliability:
- At least in Canada, the V6 requires an oil change every 5k miles. The Turbo, every 10k miles.As for reliability, I expect the Turbo to be as reliable if not better since the 4GR-FSE (V6) is sensitive to carbon buildup if you don't regularly put quality premium fuel and perform regular maintenance to the tee.
My preference: 4cyl Turbo

Old 06-05-15, 02:31 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 325 Likes on 194 Posts

toyota has always had a great track record w/ their turbos. this new one shouldn't be an issue
Old 06-05-15, 04:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Keep in mind that if it goes turbo, the price may increase - its debateable whether MSRP would increase but I would think that dealers wouldn't negotiate as much on a new turbo version. If you can swing it, get the 3.5L V6...super reliable, fast, and insignificant hit on gas mileage.
Old 06-05-15, 07:24 PM
Nathan901
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Keep in mind that if it goes turbo, the price may increase - its debateable whether MSRP would increase but I would think that dealers wouldn't negotiate as much on a new turbo version. If you can swing it, get the 3.5L V6...super reliable, fast, and insignificant hit on gas mileage.
I knew that. I already did the test drive for is250. I think the hp on is250 is pretty good enough for me. All I care about is the fuel economy, I think it is gonna be a pretty big different with those two engines. And I think the dealer is offering a pretty sweet price on is250. I know that there is not gonna be that cheap when the is200t come out. So that's y I m thinking about it , which one should j go for
Old 06-05-15, 08:32 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

That is a pretty good deal. Used 2015 is250s are going around that! I go ahead and get it if your not worried about the power increase in the potential 2016 turbo. Also, dealers may not discount much off msrp on the 2016 when they come out.
Old 06-05-15, 08:39 PM
Nathan901
Driver School Candidate

R they still making that 2015 is250? I think I m gonna wait for the 2016MY come out and see how much is it gonna be, but I afaird there is no more 2015 is250 when the 2016 MY come out.
Old 06-05-15, 09:44 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Individual
Being an owner of an IS250 before, I would recommend to hold off until the Turbo version comes out. I would think that compared to the IS250, the turbo version would be a bit faster and get better gas mileage. The only thing I'm not sure of is the reliability of their turbo.
I Doubt Very Seriously that the Turbo is going to be an Issue as far as Reliability! IF it was, they Wouldn't sell many of them! jmo! it IS a Lexus after all!
Old 08-16-15, 07:23 AM
ibur
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nathan901
I knew that. I already did the test drive for is250. I think the hp on is250 is pretty good enough for me. All I care about is the fuel economy, I think it is gonna be a pretty big different with those two engines. And I think the dealer is offering a pretty sweet price on is250. I know that there is not gonna be that cheap when the is200t come out. So that's y I m thinking about it , which one should j go for
I'm going onto a month with the IS 250 F Sport, leased at a very good price. Also was debating the wait for the 200t. Finally decided the engine is good enough for me and the car itself is the same for the most part.
The dealer also pointed out that being a new car year there it will not be the same price, hence I got a great deal and will wait a couple of years to get into the next IS, RC or other. don't wait unless you really really want the extra HP, any way I much prefer the V6 over the 4 cylinder even at a les HP.
Old 08-16-15, 12:15 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I Doubt Very Seriously that the Turbo is going to be an Issue as far as Reliability! IF it was, they Wouldn't sell many of them! jmo! it IS a Lexus after all!
you never know -- for the first several years after it was introduced, the is250's v6 had huge issues with carbon buildup and tons of engines had to be majorly reconditioned.

my 2is was at the dealer so much you would have thought i had bought a bmw.
Old 08-16-15, 05:50 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the 200T in a heart beat with one year newer. The performance probably will be same as bmw 328i, better gas and the 8 speeds sport direct shift is a plus! I wouldnt worry about the turbo which lexus got 6 year power train warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is250? Is200t?