IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 05:10 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip

so i received my stillen front lip today and went to install it. the test fit went fine but now that I've prepped the area and actually applied the lip its coming up short. here are some pics to show what I'm talking about..everything on one side seems to line up just fine until a certain point where it doesn't and then the lip doesn't make it to the other side of the bumper it comes up short. am i doing something wrong here? do you think maybe its just a bad lip? i hope stillen will be nice enough to perhaps send a new one or something. and take this one back.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip-img_1713.jpg   HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip-img_1717.jpg   HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip-img_1720.jpg   HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip-img_1721.jpg  

Last edited by CobraGSF; 05-30-15 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-30-15, 05:19 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

sorry for the poor picture quality guys. the first picture shows that the lip is short of being able to reach the other side of the bumper
Old 05-30-15, 07:18 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

uploaded some better clearer pics guys. hopefully someone can chime in =/. hoping stillen doesn't charge me return shipping as i don't see how this is my fault. the lip obviously doesn't fit. its short even though the first half lines up with the bumper perfectly.
Old 05-30-15, 10:35 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

if the test fit went well, then it should've fit correctly. did you try screwing the screws or bolts evenly? meaning not tightening or torquing down the screws all the way down staring on one side and moving onto the other. maybe lining it up like you did on the test fit and then start the bolts/screws. then start from front and center and then work your way towards the wheel wells, but evenly torquing them down.
Old 05-31-15, 07:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

^^^ +1. Like when putting a book case, desk, etc together, sometimes 1 mm off somewhere ends up being a bigger offset elsewhere. Loosen it up and try to loosely screw it everywhere first before tightening.

The other thing too to consider is try heating it up (hair dryer if no heat gun) towards the last third the lip so you're able to get a slight flex and bend it flush.

Good luck.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-31-15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-31-15, 07:30 AM
Jacabc20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had they same thing happen. i had my wife help and had to muscle the short end around. I actually lost some of the stickiness on the short side as i hit the tape on the bumper, so i had to get it off quick so it didn't adhere, so i used extra screws and you can't tell that i "messed" up. I mean i had to put a lot of force to get it around to fit.

If it helps i had my short end slightly under the lip and not on top and i think that threw off the one side as i had one end perfect and one short just like you did.

Looks like it's install error, which again i did the same thing and just had to use extra screws to correct my mistake, rather than reapply new 3m tape etc, which is a big pain.
Old 05-31-15, 09:13 AM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacabc20
Had they same thing happen. i had my wife help and had to muscle the short end around. I actually lost some of the stickiness on the short side as i hit the tape on the bumper, so i had to get it off quick so it didn't adhere, so i used extra screws and you can't tell that i "messed" up. I mean i had to put a lot of force to get it around to fit.

If it helps i had my short end slightly under the lip and not on top and i think that threw off the one side as i had one end perfect and one short just like you did.

Looks like it's install error, which again i did the same thing and just had to use extra screws to correct my mistake, rather than reapply new 3m tape etc, which is a big pain.

I experienced the same. It's a really tight fit in my experience.

What I did was get the ends over the sides of the bumper then pulled the front/middle up, somewhat forcefully. I also had 2 extra sets of hands during the install.
Old 05-31-15, 09:52 AM
Devious818
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely need a second set of hands. Mine went on super easy when we each brought it up at the same time and focused on getting either end on before bringing the middle up. Hope you get it figured out...
Old 05-31-15, 11:39 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Cool

hey guys wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded because you pretty much saved me . hooked both corners first and then brought up the middle with the help of my dad. put the old man to work! but it came out perfectly and even though I was reluctant to drill I put two screws on each corner to secure it because the 3M tape was shot from applying and removing. this forum always comes through thanks again everyone! ill post some pics in a bit
Old 05-31-15, 08:40 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

finished product! also ordered that eBay roof spoiler to match with my gloss black roof hopefully it looks good
Attached Thumbnails HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip-img_1730.jpg  
Old 05-31-15, 10:13 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not follow the instructions...well because of the tight fit. I hooked on both sides first and then muscled "clamping" the middle part... hopes this helps
Old 06-01-15, 09:48 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for not seeing this sooner. Did you manage to get it installed correctly @shivad87 ?
Old 06-01-15, 10:16 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

hey mark...he got it! there's a pic of his car a post above your last
Old 06-01-15, 11:26 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
hey mark...he got it! there's a pic of his car a post above your last
I'm gonna blame missing that on it being Monday lol. Glad to hear everything worked out. Thanks for helping him out everyone!
Old 06-01-15, 06:18 PM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STILLEN
I'm gonna blame missing that on it being Monday lol. Glad to hear everything worked out. Thanks for helping him out everyone!
How's the rear diffuser development coming along?

Quick Reply: HELP! issue installing STILLEN Front Lip