OEM Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 03:40 PM
qhduong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Spoiler Install

Hey guys,

I was quoted $270 for the rear spoiler from my dealership. It comes painted and includes the templates. They told me it needs to be bolted down to the trunk. They want $250 or 2 hours to install it.

This seems a little high for install cost. How difficult is it to install by yourself? I'm a bit of a newbie and this will be my first time installing a spoiler.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-15, 03:48 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

you can install it w/ 3M and it will hold. there's a couple of members on here that didn't bolt theirs on and just used the tape and they haven't had any issues. you can also take the template and shop around body shops and see what they'll charge. should be no more than $100. $270 is a great price for a painted oem spoiler as well!
Old 05-20-15, 03:56 PM
qhduong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp2
you can install it w/ 3M and it will hold. there's a couple of members on here that didn't bolt theirs on and just used the tape and they haven't had any issues. you can also take the template and shop around body shops and see what they'll charge. should be no more than $100. $270 is a great price for a painted oem spoiler as well!
I'm worried about not getting it installed straight and all. I'm really OCD about aligning things so I'm worried about doing it myself. I have never seen the templates before, so that's the only thing needed for an installer to install? The only reason why I want a dealership to install it is if they mess up, they better replace the trunk for me. I've seen other member had their trunk damaged so I'm worried . Thanks!
Old 05-21-15, 01:36 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There are 2 bolts, and another optional 2 (4 total). The spoiler is LIGHT. 3M tape would be enough (if applied correctly). It's really easy to install and I would recommend installing it yourself. Save yourself $250 and avoid the holes in your trunk.
The following users liked this post:
bobbyexe (09-20-21)
Old 05-21-15, 08:30 AM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fairly simple DIY

I got my prepained spoiler from a dealer through amazon for $271 and purchased the plastic template made by the OEM as well. It was $50 or $55 but I found it from some random website. Sounds like a really good deal that they're including the template.

With the template, it ensured the holes were drilled exact. The inner holes are smaller diameter for bolts and the outer holes are larger where clips actually pop into place. Both the bolts and the clips have some wiggle room, so even if the holes are not 100% perfect, you have some wiggle room to accommodate human inaccuracy.

I'll admit it was a little unsettling to do and I'm extremely **** about spacing and centering but it was really easy after the first hole. I'd suggest a dab of silicone on the holes just prior to mounting so that there's less chance of rust if you do mount it with the bolts/clips.

I guess I could have done a DIY but it's probably been done =P
Old 05-21-15, 08:34 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

bravo zulu Carbonite! clean install...now playing devil's advocate, do you believe that you really had to drill the holes? do you believe that 3M tape would've done the job? just curious.
Old 05-21-15, 08:42 AM
Carbonite
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
bravo zulu Carbonite! clean install...now playing devil's advocate, do you believe that you really had to drill the holes? do you believe that 3M tape would've done the job? just curious.
Thanks! I'm sure it would be fine as you mentioned but being a DIY guy, I went for the full install.

More reinforcement of tape only being an option, the spoiler I had on my E90 had no bolts and did just fine for 2+ years:

Old 05-21-15, 10:18 AM
qhduong
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for that Carbonite! Looking at it now, I'm really leaning away from drilling now after seeing those holes lol. I don't think I have the guts to drill my car... Btw, doesn't the 350 come with the spoiler from factory? It looks really nice.

Is there a specific 3M tape that I should use? I'll put some DIY when I do get to it...
Old 05-21-15, 10:39 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Spoiler is an option.

20lb 3M tape is fine (one with the black adhesive and red backing)
Old 05-21-15, 05:33 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I didnt drill holes for mines. Only used the provide tape. its strong and on there. the spoiler is so light in weight as well.
Old 10-02-17, 05:09 AM
JMSP
Driver School Candidate

Where re can I get this spoiler?

Originally Posted by Carbonite
I got my prepained spoiler from a dealer through amazon for $271 and purchased the plastic template made by the OEM as well. It was $50 or $55 but I found it from some random website. Sounds like a really good deal that they're including the template.

With the template, it ensured the holes were drilled exact. The inner holes are smaller diameter for bolts and the outer holes are larger where clips actually pop into place. Both the bolts and the clips have some wiggle room, so even if the holes are not 100% perfect, you have some wiggle room to accommodate human inaccuracy.

I'll admit it was a little unsettling to do and I'm extremely **** about spacing and centering but it was really easy after the first hole. I'd suggest a dab of silicone on the holes just prior to mounting so that there's less chance of rust if you do mount it with the bolts/clips.

I guess I could have done a DIY but it's probably been done =P
Old 10-02-17, 06:13 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

if you are going to diy install with only 3M tape, make sure you clean the area very well. Also, 3M makes these little packs adhesive promoter pads (like glasses wipes) that you can use to make sure the 3M tapes sticks to your trunk lid well.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...1952368&rt=rud
Old 10-03-17, 05:05 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my OEM spoiler from my Lexus dealership too. I paid $270 for it (painted). I had them install it because I wanted it bolted down and since Lexus was doing the work they would be responsible for any damages installing it. Total for spoiler and install for me was $325 and I didn't have to buy the template because they already had one to use from previous installs.
Old 11-01-17, 03:20 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey Guys,

My 2018 IS 350 F Sport is coming with the spoiler as an installed option. Not sure if dealer is installing or they're doing it at the docks.

Question i have is, do they use double sided tape in addition to the bolts? I'm asking because i might wrap my spoiler in carbon fiber vinyl when my car goes into the shop for clear bra.
Old 11-01-17, 04:03 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Hey Guys,

My 2018 IS 350 F Sport is coming with the spoiler as an installed option. Not sure if dealer is installing or they're doing it at the docks.

Question i have is, do they use double sided tape in addition to the bolts? I'm asking because i might wrap my spoiler in carbon fiber vinyl when my car goes into the shop for clear bra.
Yes double sided tape is used in addition of Bolts and plastic clips.

Here is PDF install of it that tech or dock workers follow.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/instal...DIO%20IssC.pdf
The following users liked this post:
skiracer (11-01-17)

Quick Reply: OEM Spoiler Install