IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Welp, that was quick. Need recommendation on new tires.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 08:43 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Welp, that was quick. Need recommendation on new tires.

Not even a week into owning my new (used) car a slow leak developed in my rear right tire. took it for a state inspection (mandatory in PA after bringing in a vehicle from another state) and they said tire can't be repaired, small hole in the sidewall from an unidentified object. tire tread for fronts was 6/32 and rears was 5/32. the place didn't have any tires my size in stock, and lexus near me wanted $320 for a replacement Turanza ER33, which seems like a total ripoff to me, considering the poor reviews this tire gets all over the web. I can't even give these tires a fair shake since i've barely had the car. seemed fine at normal highway speeds and going on and off ramps.

So I have a few questions for you tire and wheel experts out there
i'm looking for recommendations for a new summer tire. I've narrowed it down to Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot SuperSports. woulda been a no brainer with the PSS but neither tirerack nor the local tire place I go to will have them in stock until late may at the earliest. Any other options i'm missing besides the Conti DW's that are comparable in price? How are the DW's on road noise and wear? I'm sure they will handle great as reviews in that aspect have been stellar.

I will also be getting aftermarket wheels and a set of winter tires later this year. I'm planning to get a lighter weight set, probably enkei raijins or something similar. Would it be a big deal for the tire installer to swap the summer tires onto the new aftermarket rims when I get my winter ones?

Last edited by evident; 05-05-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-05-15, 08:49 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Mine needs to be replace soon also and I've also narrowed down to same two brands. I would go with Michelin, I heard Continental have softer side wall. Or you can go with Hankook which are a lot cheaper but I didn't have good experience with them when they were on my previous car. Can't go wrong with Michelin though.
Old 05-06-15, 01:22 AM
BossMan302
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Continentals on my Mustang were pretty good tires. Only thing was they would flatspot a bit and need to warm up and round out again. But really good tires once warm.
Old 05-06-15, 02:14 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the PSS.
Old 05-06-15, 08:43 AM
ExSrAaron
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swapping tires isn't a problem for a qualified shop.

PSS, DW, or even a set of bridgestones would be an excellent choice, esp. if they're on a second set of wheels. Can't go wrong with any of those. Look for the best deal and any applicable rebates.
Old 05-06-15, 09:11 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ExSrAaron
Swapping tires isn't a problem for a qualified shop.

PSS, DW, or even a set of bridgestones would be an excellent choice, esp. if they're on a second set of wheels. Can't go wrong with any of those. Look for the best deal and any applicable rebates.
Looks like i'll be settling with the Conti DW's. PSS are completely on back order around these parts. Tirerack won't have them until maybe after 5/22, same with the local tire shop.

I love the appearance of the stock rims and i've barely had this car, not ready to swap to a second set of rims yet!! I will most likely be having winter tires put on my stock rims as well and then the DW's onto whatever set I pick up.
Old 05-06-15, 09:51 AM
FPerform
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be an all purpose tire thread with a poll. This question seems to popup quite a bit.
Old 05-06-15, 10:42 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Did you check Discount Tire Direct? They have good prices, free shipping and sometimes you get a debit card with your purchases.

Ed