IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Talk me out of buyer's remorse

Old 04-15-15, 10:24 AM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of buyer's remorse

I picked up a 2014 3IS f sport (AWD NAV) last night. When I got home I tookmy wife and 3 yo for a drive and she wouldn't shut up about how small it was.She kept saying "I hope you're happy with it". Not that is matters for the family because she has an Odyssey. Now I am focusing onthat it's too small a car and thinking I maybe should have bought a GS.

From the few miles I have put on it, it has been a blast. I just want to hear that if your focus is the driving experience, this is the car.
Old 04-15-15, 10:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its a sportier car, suppose to have a tighter cockpit feeling. Car is plenty spacious for me. You already have a big car the Odyssey.
Old 04-15-15, 10:28 AM
Dmance
Rookie

sorry to hear that. coming from someone that owns a scion tc first gen and a 240sx this car isnt small lol.
but driving wise i love my car. as soon as i drove it i loved it. its my first 4 door so i cant speak to size at all but i havent had a negative thought about my car so far.
Old 04-15-15, 10:30 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Just take some time to get used to it. When I first bought it, the car felt very small. Now that I've gotten used to it, it doesn't feel small at all, and I have a wife and two kids.
Old 04-15-15, 10:33 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a feeling she's being tucked in too tight from the sides of the sports seat. Can't really fix that. Leg room on the other hand can be fixed.
Old 04-15-15, 10:33 AM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dmance
sorry to hear that. coming from someone that owns a scion tc first gen and a 240sx this car isnt small lol.
but driving wise i love my car. as soon as i drove it i loved it. its my first 4 door so i cant speak to size at all but i havent had a negative thought about my car so far.
I don't have it, I just have that thought in the back of my mind that I don't like.

That being said, the second I hit the gas in the test drive and heard that snarl, I was sold right there. I knew I had to have it. I think that both my wife and I, are so used to the Odyssey, and my Jeep GC I traded in, this is a system shock lol. I have had a VW Corrado, Dodge Stealth, and some other sporty cars so not sure why I feel this one is tight. I think I just need to get used to it. It hasn't even been 24 hours lol.

Originally Posted by drbazing
I have a feeling she's being tucked in too tight from the sides of the sports seat. Can't really fix that. Leg room on the other hand can be fixed.

I think you are right. She didn't like the seats and I told her that is what I kept reading was one of the best parts of the car from the reviews. I love the seats. I think she felt like she had no room from the constriction.

Last edited by Sight22; 04-15-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-15-15, 10:40 AM
Dmance
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sight22
I don't have it, I just have that thought in the back of my mind that I don't like.

That being said, the second I hit the gas in the test drive and heard that snarl, I was sold right there. I knew I had to have it. I think that both my wife and I, are so used to the Odyssey, and my Jeep GC I traded in, this is a system shock lol. I have had a VW Corrado, Dodge Stealth, and some other sporty cars so not sure why I feel this one is tight. I think I just need to get used to it. It hasn't even been 24 hours lol.
hopefully you dont. the GS imo was just to much luxury. it reminded me of my 545i, which was an awesome car to own, but just didnt put that excitement i get everytime i see/ drive my car. and hey look youre on the forums now so its to late lololol
Old 04-15-15, 10:44 AM
Sight22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dmance
hopefully you dont. the GS imo was just to much luxury. it reminded me of my 545i, which was an awesome car to own, but just didnt put that excitement i get everytime i see/ drive my car. and hey look youre on the forums now so its to late lololol

You like the IS better than the 545i? That is good to hearsince the 545i was so well regarded. How old are you just wondering? I am 38and feel like I am in this in-between stage where I am a little too old for theIS and a little too young for the GS.
Old 04-15-15, 10:55 AM
Dmance
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sight22
You like the IS better than the 545i? That is good to hearsince the 545i was so well regarded. How old are you just wondering? I am 38and feel like I am in this in-between stage where I am a little too old for theIS and a little too young for the GS.
im 26. i owned the 545i 2 years ago now. i bought it for my wife but she enjoyed the turbo tc more so i drove the bmw. the car was amazing but i kinda felt a little to young to drive it lol. i think people thought i was a drug dealer or something. i pretty much grew up on 240s so i really wanted something sportier but was kinda tired of the same small car no luxury thing i had going on when i bought that one. sold it cause we both stopped driving it lolol. i was debating between an audi s7 and this when i test drove this car and fell in love.
Old 04-15-15, 10:58 AM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

????

The car is plenty big enough for a passenger and smaller children - especially when there is a minivan in your stable. Trunk is ample as well.

I find it odd how some people think having a toddler means you need something giant. The GS isn't exactly crazy big inside either.
Old 04-15-15, 11:13 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I just traded my '14 IS350 Fsport for a '15 GS350 Crafted Line and couldn't be happier. I missed not having memory seats (BS it should be stock), gained ventilated seats, power rear shade, power mirrors, remote start, bigger payment I do miss the cockpit feel but the unique values of the crafted line make up for it. I also have 3 boys (10 to 5) to move around too so we needed the extra room.

If you are happy then enjoy it!
Old 04-15-15, 11:19 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Best advice is to leave your wife and kids because the car is more important. Jk The car should be big enough for a small family.

The GS is nice but our gauges looks so much better! At least you don't have an is250, think about that! A lot of is250 owners have remorse.
Old 04-15-15, 11:48 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't say the interior is small, rather it has a feeling of tightness. This is largely due to the seat bolsters and overall design of the center console. That said, it can't compete with an Odyssey which has an entirely different purpose. Your wife won't be driving your IS by the sounds of it so who cares what she thinks. Just enjoy the drive!
Old 04-15-15, 11:55 AM
Dmance
Rookie

ok am i the only one with an IS that has ventilated seats?? im really confused cause ive heard a bunch of people complain about that?
Old 04-15-15, 11:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2015 F Sports got ventilated seats, 2014 didnt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk me out of buyer's remorse