IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What do you think of the base audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 01:28 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's honestly not that bad...wish it had more bass though.
Old 03-23-15, 01:31 PM
Kushp14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just discovered the ASL and Surround setting... After turning surround on it has made a BIG difference!
Old 03-23-15, 01:38 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

I added a 10" powered sub, Rockford Fosgate P300-10, over the weekend to the stock non-ML system and tuned it to my liking. I'm not a audiophile but the sub really woke the stock system up and sounds great. There's also an 12" version if you want more boom! Hope that helps.

Old 03-23-15, 03:22 PM
Loe
Pole Position

It's not terrible if the settings are correct (I have my bass at +1, mid at +3, and highs at +5) and it seems to balance out the muddiness of the frequencies around 250-500hz. I too have ASL & surround off and I like that it now has a proper front stage with the fade turned right to where the headrests are on the adjustment slide. I like that the high frequencies are handled by the 3.5" drivers because it sounds less shrill and more accurate to my ears.

My only real issue is the lack of mid-bass; you'd think that having a 7.1" driver in the front doors would result in good mid-bass, but it appears as though it's the OEM amp not putting out enough signal in the 80-120hz area to the front speakers because the front's can produce some very good bass sounds from my experience if amplified with the correct signal.

I too added an aftermarket subwoofer, but to be honest, I am pretty sure the OEM 8" sub can handle more power than whats fed by the OEM amp (see the trend here?).

Last edited by Loe; 03-23-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-07-15, 12:57 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice just tried it.

Originally Posted by plastus
I was really disappointed in the base system until I finally realized that the 'ASL' DSP feature was responsible for the muddy sound and extreme bass boosting that resulted in any calibration being distorted. It adjusts the equalizer when driving at speed. After finally turning that feature off and setting Treble/Mids/Bass in a parked car, the system actually sounds quite decent. Would've loved to have the ML system but no dealer in NJ/NY seems to stock them. Odd, given that they carry otherwise fully loaded IS350's.
Old 04-07-15, 04:00 AM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kushp14
Just discovered the ASL and Surround setting... After turning surround on it has made a BIG difference!
Yes it sure does!
Old 04-07-15, 11:10 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Briefly tried the sourround off and it's not as loud.i'll keep experimenting. I thought it was a big loss without ML but I guess not. I upgraded to a 12" JL W3 which sounds pretty nice. Just enough bass.
Old 04-08-15, 01:50 AM
janterry15
Rookie

Originally Posted by daobn24
I added a 10" powered sub, Rockford Fosgate P300-10, over the weekend to the stock non-ML system and tuned it to my liking. I'm not a audiophile but the sub really woke the stock system up and sounds great. There's also an 12" version if you want more boom! Hope that helps.

Where did U tap the speaker wires?
Old 04-08-15, 03:32 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

People saying not enough bass, how many notches you guys tick on audio set up?

My settings are like this
treble directly at middle
Mid- two notches to right
bass-two notches to right

Asl - off
dsp - on

I find bass suffecient because if i go more, a lot of songs will be to 'boomy' for me. So my qualm isnt with the bass.
the audio is very acceptable but it could be more 'crisp' and 'clear'. But then again any system could be more clearer if your willing to throw a couple grand at it, as with anything else.

Im not an audio expert but this is my impression when fiddling through the settings while driving.

I feel like everyones has a different preference when listening though. Im 28 now and would have different kind of ears if i was say, 21 or 40
Old 04-08-15, 05:07 AM
plastus
Rookie

Treble +2
Mid +1
Bass +3

Surround ON
ASL OFF

This gives the best clarity/profile across a wide array of music imo.
Old 04-08-15, 06:07 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daobn24

I just order the 12" version of this and hope to install over the weekend, depending on the honey to-do list. I'll report back when it's installed and tuned. As some reference, I've always had some type of system in all of my cars dating back to my first almost 20 years ago. Dammit, that makes me sound so old..... In my last car, Acura TL, I had an IDMax 12" in a big ported box along with an amp powering the stock ELS speakers and it sounded great. The sub amp was barely at 1/2 way, as it was a 1000 watt RMS. I love me some bass, so I'm a little concerned about dropping down to a self powered sub with only 300 watts RMS, but being able to maintain most of my trunk and having the ability to quickly disconnect the sub and remove it if need be is my driving force nowadays. Just like to add a little boom to my current system now.

Weird how taste and priorities change over the years.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!
Old 04-08-15, 06:09 AM
Maveri9720
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by plastus
Treble +2
Mid +1
Bass +3

Surround ON
ASL OFF

This gives the best clarity/profile across a wide array of music imo.
Agreed. I just adjusted my settings again yesterday and this is what I settled on too.
Old 04-08-15, 10:58 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

I got tremble all the way and bass all the way. Mid is half way. I do miss my old system. Diamond components and infinity kappa speakers on my old car. Crystal clear!
Old 04-08-15, 11:01 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had a IS loaner non-ML and I was disappointed.
Old 04-08-15, 01:21 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts

^^ I went in mine expecting something so bad from what I read here and overall, was not as bad as I thought. The only thing I wish it had was just a little more level to push the sound up....

Quick Reply: What do you think of the base audio system?