Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 06:42 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation

Hello CL community,

I just had the Xpel Self-Healing PPF installed on my IS today and it looked awesome! I went with the partial hood & fenders, front bumper, and headlights. Here a few pictures I took at the shop:
Attached Thumbnails Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation-xpel-1.jpg   Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation-xpel-2.jpg  
Old 03-18-15, 06:43 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

One more shot!
Attached Thumbnails Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation-xpel-3.jpg  
Old 03-18-15, 07:13 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't even tell! Was it expensive?Should do a ceramic coating too!
Old 03-18-15, 08:14 PM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good!

Did they remove the "F" fender emblems for the install or did they cut around them?
Old 03-18-15, 08:20 PM
showat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they clean and wax the vehicle before the install or do you have to do that before bringing it in, Looks Good by the way !
Old 03-19-15, 05:17 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoya08
Looking good!

Did they remove the "F" fender emblems for the install or did they cut around them?
they typically cut around that, but if you want the emblems to be removed so its one flat place covering your fenders i'm sure most would be willing to help.

Originally Posted by showat
Did they clean and wax the vehicle before the install or do you have to do that before bringing it in, Looks Good by the way !
you can clean it yourself, but they typically do it. they do not use wax on the car prior to installation as the PPF won't bind/adhere well to the car. you can put wax on top of the PPF and treat it like paint once your installation is done. note though waxing along the edges of the PPF cut out sucks as there is left of residue you need to remove.. its kinda like getting stuff stuck under your finger nails.
Old 03-19-15, 07:50 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Glock47
Can't even tell! Was it expensive?Should do a ceramic coating too!
The original price was 975 (tax included) for everything - got them down to $850 cash! I'll be back for a ceramic coating (Ceramic Pro) in a few weeks!
Old 03-19-15, 07:51 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hoya08
Looking good!

They cut around them. They did an awesome job!
Old 03-19-15, 07:52 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by showat
Thanks! No, they didn't wax it because the PPF won't stick correctly. They did wash the front of the car, dried it with an air-blower and then applied the PPF.
Old 03-19-15, 07:53 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
they typically cut around that, but if you want the emblems to be removed so its one flat place covering your fenders i'm sure most would be willing to help.

you can clean it yourself, but they typically do it. they do not use wax on the car prior to installation as the PPF won't bind/adhere well to the car. you can put wax on top of the PPF and treat it like paint once your installation is done. note though waxing along the edges of the PPF cut out sucks as there is left of residue you need to remove.. its kinda like getting stuff stuck under your finger nails.
Well explained. Waxing or coating is done after PPF has been installed. I'm coming back soon for a coat of Ceramic Pro. Stay tuned!
Old 03-19-15, 09:24 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

follow-up with me or on this thread a few months from now or whenever your car gets dirty and you have to wash.. i want someone's point of view of how annoying or hard it is to maintain these half hood/fender installations. i hear it traps dirt like the PPF on the side of our rear door, but others say if you maintain it well, it won't. would be nice to know your opinion, message me.
Old 03-19-15, 10:14 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Correction - I got the partial kit, which means it's a partial hood and partial fender. They didn't apply PPF to the entire fender area.
Old 03-19-15, 10:16 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

follow-up with me or on this thread a few months from now or whenever your car gets dirty and you have to wash.. i want someone's point of view of how annoying or hard it is to maintain these half hood/fender installations. i hear it traps dirt like the PPF on the side of our rear door, but others say if you maintain it well, it won't. would be nice to know your opinion, message me.
Will do. I had the same concern and asked about techniques to clean these areas. I agree with you on the PPF on the side of the rear doors. Whenever I wax the car, this area traps wax dust and I have to clean it by using the edge of a paper or envelope. Don't use a toothpick as I was told by someone!
Old 03-19-15, 10:39 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they typically cut around that, but if you want the emblems to be removed so its one flat place covering your fenders i'm sure most would be willing to help. you can clean it yourself, but they typically do it. they do not use wax on the car prior to installation as the PPF won't bind/adhere well to the car. you can put wax on top of the PPF and treat it like paint once your installation is done. note though waxing along the edges of the PPF cut out sucks as there is left of residue you need to remove.. its kinda like getting stuff stuck under your finger nails.
With regards to PPF not adhering/binding to wax, it is not always true. The answer is it depends on what wax/sealant/car coating is used. For example, I used Zymol Vintage which is high in carnauba content which is doing fine. Recently I switched to Polish Angel Cosmic 9H which is a hybrid car coating of Silica and Titanium oxide with some trace of carnauba and both products work well beneath PPF such as Ventureshield Ultra or Xpel Ultimate. In fact, if the surface is properly prep'd, it helps PPF installation. On the other hand, some detailing product is reported not to work well beneath PPF. Example is some car coating products from GTechniq. In such case, I will use car coating/wax/sealant which works below PPF as an added measure of guard against any abrasion that may occur as a result of PPF installation. Then after PPF is installed, you can apply product of your choice (say, GTechniq).

Last edited by AndyL; 03-19-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-15, 10:41 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In my case, I have switched from partial fenders/hood to full hood and full fenders. You will get less white edges.

Quick Reply: Xpel Self-Healing - Pictures after installation