IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 01:15 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tea
By that logic we drive either an extremely overpriced Toyota or a poor man's lexus.
We don't get to say that. Lexus isn't that highly viewed upon like MB generally. We don't get judged like they do. For us it just looks like we finally humbly made enough to afford and buy a nice car.
For them it's as if money either isn't a problem or a huge problem. It's either U got lots of money or u bought a mb with money U don't have. Either way when buying a mercedes the first thing that comes to mind is status, cause why else would U buy a mercedes?(typically! excluding some of us who actually enjoy driving the car)
Old 03-16-15, 06:59 PM
HouTx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding seats

I also looked at the 2015 C class but the issue with the bleeding MB Tex seats was concerning. Have they fixed this issue?

Photos from mbworld.org
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision-mb-tex-staining-expand-1.jpg   Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision-image_a4e728a5b6db949f8102950a7ae0a03e5b45af48.jpg   Lexus IS vs C-Class help making a decision-mercedes_benz_014_large__a411605692ad72ddcd14333fd777fb219e73c271.jpg  
Old 03-16-15, 08:09 PM
sc400808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HouTx
I also looked at the 2015 C class but the issue with the bleeding MB Tex seats was concerning. Have they fixed this issue?

Photos from mbworld.org
From what I'm gathering from the MB forums, no. I know first year model years can have issues but some of the ones they are having makes me think they either rushed into production or someone didn't take enough time in design. I was set on the MB until I started doing more research into it. I asked the same question on MBworld and they have been fair in their impressions and opinions. I'm back to the IS now. Now the debate, black or nebula grey.....
Old 03-17-15, 05:20 AM
alpha12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my IS in March of 2014...had my previous car been able to make it to fall I would have been in serious contention to go either route similarly to what you're in. Since the new C wasn't out it became an easy decision. With that said reliability was at the forefront of my process in car buying which ruled out Audi and BMW; MB can be hit or miss but when repairs are needed the cost can be exorbitant. Either would be a great choice but it seems to be split between whether you desire more sport or luxury.
Old 03-17-15, 10:13 AM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drbazing
I'd take that C63 and get called poor all day everyday
Me too! Its so freaking awesome.
Old 03-19-15, 11:10 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTx

Photos from mbworld.org
Any car built in February onward doesn't have this issue.

Originally Posted by sc400808
From what I'm gathering from the MB forums, no. I know first year model years can have issues but some of the ones they are having makes me think they either rushed into production or someone didn't take enough time in design. I was set on the MB until I started doing more research into it. I asked the same question on MBworld and they have been fair in their impressions and opinions. I'm back to the IS now. Now the debate, black or nebula grey.....
This was a supplier issue and only cars in the U.S. suffered from it. Cars built in February and beyond are fine. There was also a surprising amount of fit/finish issues in the early cars built in the Alabama plant.
Old 03-19-15, 12:21 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm really glad the new C-class wasn't around when I was looking to buy, because I probably would have bought it. It has most of the features you really want out of the S and E Class but in a more compact size.
Old 03-19-15, 06:59 PM
sc400808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Any car built in February onward doesn't have this issue.

This was a supplier issue and only cars in the U.S. suffered from it. Cars built in February and beyond are fine. There was also a surprising amount of fit/finish issues in the early cars built in the Alabama plant.

The wife and I went to a separate MB dealership yesterday to look at them. I told her of the issues that were brought up on the forums. She impartial to German cars and liked it right away. And surprisingly she was the one grilling the salesman on the issues. He had an answer for pretty much everything she brought up. He said the same thing, that most of the first batch of cars that went out had issues. MB has fixed pretty much everything that we brought up. She likes the Lexus but she loves the MB. Now just to get the options we want and order it already....