IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Honest impressions of 2.5 engine

Old 03-23-15, 08:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

you can get bigger discounts on the 250 also. You may get 5k off a 250 whereas maybe only 3k off a 350. So add 2k with the 4k price difference already and a 6k price difference is pretty compelling to some
Old 03-23-15, 08:34 AM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from a 2007 IS250 AWD, my 3IS(250) feels like a rocket ship. I love my car. Do I want more power? Sure. Do I need more power? Rarely. Put this car in Sport mode and it takes off. I have plenty of friends with faster cars who think my car is extremely fast. Sure there are other cars out there that cost less and go faster but aren't we Lexus enthusiasts? As far as efficiency is concerned it could do much better in the city but when I make my 350 mile commute from west Texas to the Dallas area, I make it with a little over a quarter tank left. I agree with the OP, this car is definitely a lot more surprising than people like to admit.
Old 04-19-15, 09:50 AM
Mndart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2014 AWD with 11K miles, trading in my 2013 Accord Touring (3.5L 288 HP). Had a 2012 Honda Civic Si 2.4L (210 HP) prior to the Accord. The Si was one of the most fun cars I have driven. A little land rocket. Both faster off the line than the 3IS. The Accord averaged 26 mpg, the Si, 22 or so. I drove it pretty hard. Prior to the Honda's, many years of driving 3 different RWD 2.8L Bimmers.

So, to the IS250. I totally agree with the OP, there is plenty of power for every day driving. Enough power to pass, to get up to 60 or 70 in a reasonable amount of time to safely merge or faster to safely pass. The engine is super smooth and plenty responsive, handles very well; I think it handles better than any of the Bimmers I drove (perhaps due to the AWD?).

The styling is awesome, it certainly looks faster than it is. If I were still a person that needed to challenge everyone I pull up next to, or felt I needed to show my car is faster and more powerful than theirs on the highway, then I agree with a number of posters that the IS250 isn't all that, I would get the IS350. But for me, I am not interested in that stuff any longer. I have mellowed out and the IS250 gives me what I want; sporty feel, a well built car that looks great and handles very well.
Old 04-19-15, 12:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mndart
I just bought a 2014 AWD with 11K miles, trading in my 2013 Accord Touring (3.5L 288 HP). Had a 2012 Honda Civic Si 2.4L (210 HP) prior to the Accord. The Si was one of the most fun cars I have driven. A little land rocket. Both faster off the line than the 3IS. The Accord averaged 26 mpg, the Si, 22 or so. I drove it pretty hard. Prior to the Honda's, many years of driving 3 different RWD 2.8L Bimmers.

So, to the IS250. I totally agree with the OP, there is plenty of power for every day driving. Enough power to pass, to get up to 60 or 70 in a reasonable amount of time to safely merge or faster to safely pass. The engine is super smooth and plenty responsive, handles very well; I think it handles better than any of the Bimmers I drove (perhaps due to the AWD?).

The styling is awesome, it certainly looks faster than it is. If I were still a person that needed to challenge everyone I pull up next to, or felt I needed to show my car is faster and more powerful than theirs on the highway, then I agree with a number of posters that the IS250 isn't all that, I would get the IS350. But for me, I am not interested in that stuff any longer. I have mellowed out and the IS250 gives me what I want; sporty feel, a well built car that looks great and handles very well.
When I test drove the accord, I wasn't impressed. But I hear it's supposedly a great handler. How does it feel compared to the IS?
Old 04-19-15, 12:55 PM
Belex1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2.5 vs. 3.5 liter

I personally didn't mind spending more for the 350 it's engine is all of the 250's and more. I drove a 250 loaner. It was okay but it did feel underpowered only because I'm use to driving my 350.

I waited a long time to get a car like this. I feel the extra you pay for the 3.5 liter engine will be mostly paid back at time of resale since it is a more rare and pretty desirable car. Just my opinion. At the end of the day they are both fine engines I guess it's just personal preference.
Old 04-19-15, 01:18 PM
EdoApero
Rookie

I've never driven an is250, but after owning my 350 for about 4 months I can say that I rarely ever even use the extra power it has. It is nice when I get to use the power though. It is still however slow for me, but I'm coming for a 400hp evo x so can't compare the pull :P

It was 50 bucks more a month for the 350 vs 250 so it was a no-brainer for me. I mostly got it because every IS on the road is a 250 so I wanted to kind of stand out (even though its just a badge).
Old 04-28-15, 05:44 AM
Mndart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
When I test drove the accord, I wasn't impressed. But I hear it's supposedly a great handler. How does it feel compared to the IS?
Hello EZZ, The Accord and IS250 are so different its probably not a fair comparison, but here goes....

My buddy owned a Honda dealership so I bought a lot of cars from him. When I wanted a new car, Honda was my one choice. Honda appears to have tuned the steering and suspension to minimize that awful FWD understeer that I despised in my 2007 and though improved, I still disliked in my son's 2011. The 2013 generation of the Accord is a greatly improved compared to prior generation Accords. The Touring is a great everyday car a great car for traveling. Roomy, nicely styled, super comfortable, lots of room, plenty of power with the V6, nice toys for $31K OTD.

IMHO, in normal driving the IS250 AWD feels more agile and responsive than the Accord and the Accord is a more comfortable ride. No surprise there. In aggressive driving the IS250 is tight, hugs the road and feels very solid and connected to the road while cornering. The Accord: So I said Honda did a nice job minimizing the understeer and improve handling, but it is FWD, when driving aggressively it still has a tendency to understeer therefore the front end feels like it is struggling to make a sharp turn causing you to work a little more to hold your turn on line. The IS250 is a breeze compared to the Accord Touring V6.

If you don't care about the extra power and you do care about handling and a sportier feel the IS250AWD is a far better choice than the Accord.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-28-15, 09:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mndart
Hello EZZ, The Accord and IS250 are so different its probably not a fair comparison, but here goes....

My buddy owned a Honda dealership so I bought a lot of cars from him. When I wanted a new car, Honda was my one choice. Honda appears to have tuned the steering and suspension to minimize that awful FWD understeer that I despised in my 2007 and though improved, I still disliked in my son's 2011. The 2013 generation of the Accord is a greatly improved compared to prior generation Accords. The Touring is a great everyday car a great car for traveling. Roomy, nicely styled, super comfortable, lots of room, plenty of power with the V6, nice toys for $31K OTD.

IMHO, in normal driving the IS250 AWD feels more agile and responsive than the Accord and the Accord is a more comfortable ride. No surprise there. In aggressive driving the IS250 is tight, hugs the road and feels very solid and connected to the road while cornering. The Accord: So I said Honda did a nice job minimizing the understeer and improve handling, but it is FWD, when driving aggressively it still has a tendency to understeer therefore the front end feels like it is struggling to make a sharp turn causing you to work a little more to hold your turn on line. The IS250 is a breeze compared to the Accord Touring V6.

If you don't care about the extra power and you do care about handling and a sportier feel the IS250AWD is a far better choice than the Accord.

Hope that helps.
Great comparison. I have an Odyssey and i like the handling especially for such a large vehicle. I've generally liked Accords as they are really nice cars but really don't like FWD. No excuse for FWD in so-cal
Old 04-28-15, 05:08 PM
Mndart
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Great comparison. I have an Odyssey and i like the handling especially for such a large vehicle. I've generally liked Accords as they are really nice cars but really don't like FWD. No excuse for FWD in so-cal
Lucky you. SOCAL... you have ocean and mountains near by. I am not sure how close skiing is to SOCAL, but the Front Wheel and especially All Wheel would still come in handy in the snowy hills en route to some skiing. I live in eastern Ohio. There is some crazy terrain here and the IS250 is nice. For the seems like 200 snowy days here I like driving my MDX.