IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Honest impressions of 2.5 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 01:22 PM
tdoggy57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddvette9
Just broke 2,000 miles on my 250 f sport and wanted to post a little review on the engine. Two most recent cars were a Nissan 370Z and a scion frs so while not the fastest cars on the road, the 370z can get up and go And it was modded so I understand speed a little bit and have driven tons of cars in my life that were "fast".

This 2.5 engine has taken an absolute beating on this forum and on various reviews all over the Internet. I personally happen to disagree with them all and here are the reasons.

1. For having such low hp and tq numbers on paper, this car just flat out feels a lot quicker than the specs. I live in a big city and if I can catch a downshift at the right time and gear the car just flat out pulls for a few seconds. It does lose some ***** as soon as it changes gears after the initial downshift but for the first few seconds of acceleration it's pretty pleasing for low specs. Not to mention I'm usually off the throttle once getting up to speed so not really concerning when it loses its *****.

2. Being that the car isn't super fast, it allows one to absolutely beat up the transmission and rip to redline without getting into too much trouble. Kind of like the frs, this transmission can be beaten and flogged daily and you aren't breaking the speed limit too bad in the first few gears. There is something to be said for a car that you can wind up and not get into too much trouble, it's just flat out fun.

3. In normal driving modes, the tranny is silky smooth, I mean very very smooth.

Yes it's not the 350, yes the specs and times are very poor on paper. Yes other cars in the segment have more power. But a part of me is falling in love with this scrappy little engine. It's smooth, it likes to be ripped on once in a while and the initial pull from a downshift is very very acceptable for 200hp and 185 tq.

Would I love a 350 or Something faster, of course. Who wouldn't?

But for me, who has a decent history with sports cars, this car has not really disappointed. Too many reviews unecessarily trash it. I happen to think its scrappy, reliable and pretty fun.

Hope you enjoyed my thoughts and I hope some others feel the same way. The 250 is not an ugly step child, it's just a little brother who tried hard to fit in and does a pretty good job if you drive with an open mind.
What are your specific thoughts on the car conpared to the FRS? Thats what I have now and im trying to decide if id be happy with the 250, considering its cheaper than the 350.
Old 03-11-15, 02:18 PM
FireLexus
Rookie

Love what you had to say man. After I bought my 250 I read so many horrible reviews on the power and questioned if I made a mistake mupitply times. But after driving her for a month I'm more inlove with her then I ever have been with a car I've owened. Thanks for a jam up review.
Old 03-11-15, 02:55 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tdoggy57
What are your specific thoughts on the car conpared to the FRS? Thats what I have now and im trying to decide if id be happy with the 250, considering its cheaper than the 350.
This car is much torquier than the frs so it feels fast and more powerful. The hp numbers are about the same but the extra 30 foot pounds of toque and the gearing the the V6 make the car feel substantially faster than my FRS. Not sure if it actually is, but it feels like it. And that's all that matters to me.
Old 03-11-15, 04:55 PM
neoogeoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This car is much torquier than the frs so it feels fast and more powerful. The hp numbers are about the same but the extra 30 foot pounds of toque and the gearing the the V6 make the car feel substantially faster than my FRS. Not sure if it actually is, but it feels like it. And that's all that matters to me.
I also have the is250, and it does have some get up and go for little 2.5, I live in southern calif and I drove to the top of big bear, on that winding rode and kept up and/passed some of the other vehicles, Although I wish I had the 3is, I'm not dissappointed with the mouse 2.5
Old 03-11-15, 05:15 PM
mG250
Driver School Candidate

Great read! I enjoyed reading that and I'm glad to hear others enjoying their cars for what it is.

Speaking to the other members out there, I had my share of buyer's remorse in the back of my mind for a while, too, to be honest. 9000 miles later and a few aesthetic mods here and there I'm over it and am always having a blast driving it now. It really comes down to what you love about it, what you want out of the car, and practicality.

That being said, further down the road, I'd love me an RC-F
Old 03-11-15, 05:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default I prefer the 2.5L V6 over the new 2.0L 4 Turbo

To the OP, excellent read and I fully agree with your opinions. For me, I especially enjoy the buttery smooth and torque 2.5 V6 I enjoyed in the 2IS and even more so in the 3IS.

I would even trade the new 2.0 L Turbo four for this V6 in my NX for a couple mpgs as a trade off. Although I do enjoy the extra power and smooth power delivery (smoothest 4 cyl ever owned), responsiveness is laggy and engine note is, well the sound of a four cylinder. In short, the usability and sound of power is more important here which is why I'm probably in the minority that will not celebrate when the IS 200t replaces the 250.
Old 03-11-15, 06:03 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The the OP, I appreciate your review. When I was in the market for a 3IS, I originally started looking at the IS350. After months of negotiating and emailing dealers, I realized that the IS350 was not in my plans or budget. So, that's when my salesman mentioned the IS250. Because I was looking for the F-Sport model, the outside of both vehicles was the same. It was only a matter of performance and 100 HP difference. I test drove an IS250 F-Sport and felt in love with it.

Needless to say, I ended up buying it and until this day (and hour ) I still love my IS250. Never payed attention to haters saying IS250 is a slow dog, etc. Haters don't pay my bills and I don't live to please them . Coming from an '06 IS250 and having leased a '12 Scion TC with a 2.5 engine as well, I have to say that the 3IS (250) is pretty decent compared to the 2IS. No regrets on this car!
Old 03-11-15, 07:23 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To the OP, excellent read and I fully agree with your opinions. For me, I especially enjoy the buttery smooth and torque 2.5 V6 I enjoyed in the 2IS and even more so in the 3IS.

I would even trade the new 2.0 L Turbo four for this V6 in my NX for a couple mpgs as a trade off. Although I do enjoy the extra power and smooth power delivery (smoothest 4 cyl ever owned), responsiveness is laggy and engine note is, well the sound of a four cylinder. In short, the usability and sound of power is more important here which is why I'm probably in the minority that will not celebrate when the IS 200t replaces the 250.
Curious to hear more elaboration on the feel of the 2.0t.
Old 03-12-15, 04:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Curious to hear more elaboration on the feel of the 2.0t.
Keep in mind, this is on the NX, 4000lbs. I suspect on a 3600lb IS, it will be better:

smooth, quiet engine even to redline. Turbo whine is barely heard.

when the boost hits over 7 to max 15psi, torque is very strong to the point traction control kicks in on dry pavement from a standing start, despite AWD and 4000lbs. This engine pulls nearly like the 3.5 from about 2300 to 5500rpm.

NX fuel economy is just slightly worse than on my IS AWD despite the added weight and poorer aerodynamics. I can imagine even better MPGs on the lighter IS.

under moderate to heavy throttle input either from a standing start or in motion, response time between throttle input to power output/propulsion is not instantaneous like with the IS 250. It takes almost a second for the pedal input to translate into boosted motion even in M mode and Sport S+ where throttle response and gearing are performance-optimized. The "lag" is however exacerbated by a soft-feeling and long travel throttle pedal as I suspect Lexus designed the NX for a smooth progressive power delivery. If the IS' firmer pedal with shorter travel was in the NX, the perception and possibly response time would improve. In a quick overtake situation either from a red light or in motion on the street, I would feel more confident in overtaking the adjacent vehicle in the IS 250 over the NX, or I'd want to anticipate that extra second for the torquey power build. Now to be clear, there is no lag under light throttle input because boost is below 0 and engine feels and pulls lightly like a N/A 2L 4 cyl, but I stress "lightly" as power below boost is leisurely.

Engine sound is smooth and vibration-free, but non-engaging. I'm skeptical on adding an intake or free flow exhaust since you're enhancing a rather flat sounding 4 cyl engine. For reference, as far as nice sounding 4 cylinders to my ear, very few: the Evo and any of the N/A or turbocharged Subaru Boxer 4 cyl which in contrast sound deep, with good bass and growl.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-12-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 11:05 AM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Owning a IS350 and being in a IS250 loaner for the past month, I got to enjoy the 2.5 motor and agree with the OP.

The power delivery is very linear probably due to the transmission gearing. Plenty of torque for everyday driving. Passing was ok but not as immediate as the 3.5. Going up on some hills felt lagging but smooth.
Old 03-19-15, 06:46 AM
charmander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, but it should definitely get way better mileage for the lack of power it has.
Old 03-20-15, 12:40 PM
thegrey
Driver School Candidate

To the OP, thank you for posting your review, I agree. I leased a 350, but originally test drove a 250 (the dealer did not have a 350 on the lot at the time).

I have to say, going into the test drive with knowing the HP numbers etc, I was expecting less real time performance. I was very pleasantly surprised and appreciated the fact that the car pulled hard and felt smooth through all gears. I was reassured by the sales person that the 350 would be a rocket compared to the 250, before committing to the lease.

Is the 350 faster that the 250? Yes, but not overwhelmingly so. I have to say that the 250 exceeded my expectations, while I felt a bit let down by the 350 (it did not feel worlds better or faster than the 250). I also test drove an Infiniti Q50 at that time, and compared to that, in terms of seat of the pants feeling, and straight line acceleration, the 350 left much to be desired.
Old 03-20-15, 12:49 PM
a790
Driver

The 2.5L V6 is very underpowered. We can sugar coat it all we want, but in the end, other brands are offering less expensive cars with similar features with more performance... for less money.
Old 03-20-15, 01:09 PM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by a790
The 2.5L V6 is very underpowered. We can sugar coat it all we want, but in the end, other brands are offering less expensive cars with similar features with more performance... for less money.
Provide examples? I'm curious what you come up with!

And btw, how can one "sugar coat" their own personal honest impression of an engine. What would even be the motivation for doing so? To subconsciously make oneself not feel bad about having a crappy engine, albeit the crappy designation coming from someone else's impressions.
Old 03-20-15, 01:29 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought the IS350 because my sister has the IS250 (gen 2) and HATES her engine because its so underpowered. I feel like mine has ample power for my daily driving routine.

Quick Reply: Honest impressions of 2.5 engine