IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Absolutely rediculously long review of the 2015 Audi S4 versus the 2014 Lexus IS350..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 08:55 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Absolutely rediculously long review of the 2015 Audi S4 versus the 2014 Lexus IS350..

Well I picked up a Monsoon Grey Audi S4 premium plus with the DSG (aka, s-tronic), tech package and B&O stereo. MSRP was ~55,000. Purchase price was ~$49,500.

I also have the 2014 IS350 with Nav. MSRP was ~$45,000 and purchase price was ~41,000.

After having put some miles on both cars, here are my impressions.

EXTERIOR STYLING: Lexus

I never thought i'd be saying this but yes a Japanese car has more aggressive styling than its German counterpart. I am one of the few (other than IS350 owners, that is) people that find the IS350 to be pretty attractive. I am glad lexus didnt play it safe. If I stare at both cars, my eyes do get drawn to the Lexus more. The S4 does have truly classic and understated styling that is perhaps conservative by today’s standards, but it does exude luxury. Objectively, if you picked 10 random people off the street, most would probably favor the less polarizing styling of the Audi. I would be one in the minority though so I give the nod to the IS350. It is almost completely subjective? Yup.

INTERIOR STYLING: Tie

This is a tough call. With respect to the luxurious use of quality materials, the nod goes to the Audi. There is fake suede mixed in with the leather seats. On each door panel of the Audi you will find no fewer than three unique and luxuries surface textures; a brushed aluminum trim piece, a fake suede insert, and soft touch plastics. Compare this to the Lexus door panel that is made up of hard plastic that could be found in any entry level put put car. The seats of the S4 and the Lexus are similarly sporty, supportive, and nice to be in. I actually prefer the back support of the Lexus seats but my wife prefers the S4 seats for her back. Where the Audi falls behind in interior points is that it’s a relatively dated design. You sit pretty high up in the Audi and the design of the interior dates back to 2010 when this car was released in NA. The lexus has you sitting down deeper in the cockpit (less visibility but more sporting feeling) and the controls are oriented well to the driver. It looks a bit more “futuristic” inside.

IN-CAR ELECTRONICS: Audi

Both of the cars I have are equipped extremely similarly. The Audi has only the Tech package and upgraded sound system. The Lexus has the Nav Package with blind spot and park assist (basically the audi tech package). The Audi backup camera is a better resolution and the guide lines change with the steering angle on the S4. The Audi navigation system is far easier to use than the absolutely idiotic mouse track ball in the IS350. The sound settings on the Audi are excellent with its surround sound adjustability and soundstage control. The Audi comes standard with memory seats (an absolute must if you have another person ever use your car such as hand car wash attendants, valets, mechanics). The Audi comes standard with rain sensing wipers. The audi comes standard with 6 months of free wireless hot spot action with a Google Map overlay of the navigation system right down to street view if you like. Yes, the Germans are kicking butt in electronics compared to the Japanese here. It wasn’t a close match.

ENGINE: Audi

The powerband of the S4 is incredible. Not only is there excellent top end power from the supercharged V6 but the torque is also accessible everywhere in the powerband. The throttle response is overwhelmingly favorable to the Audi. As far as engine noise goes, the Lexus has a relatively pleasant although somewhat synthetic sounding sound that is piped in via little bugle under the hood. I’ll stop just shy of calling the synthesized engine note in the Lexus a little odd though. The Audi makes a seductive growl accompanied by fun little “burps” as the gears change (more on the gears later). It is a better soundtrack in the Audi. Important to note is that the “drive select” options in the Audi allow you to specify three levels of engine volume (comfort, auto, and dynamic). Dynamic is the place to be.

TRANSMISSION: Audi, Audi, Audi!

Normally I could have just combined engine and transmission into one category and commented on them both but to do that would be to do the Audi a disservice here. If there was no other reason to buy the S4 you should buy this car for the dual clutch automated manual transmission. It simply must be experienced to be believed. One of my big annoyances with the traditional automatic of the Lexus is that it has too many gears and gets confused when asked to downshift at, say, cruising speed of 75mph on the freeway. You stomp the pedal and its wait for it…one thousand one…wait for it…ok shifted. With the S4 you can be cruising at 2200rpm on the freeway and stomp the transmission and it is as though you just made your quickest short shift directly to third gear. It is instantaneous. It is sublime. It is the stuff race car driver wanna be warriors are made of. Shifting the S4 in manual mode is also far superior to the IS350. Again, the gear changes just happen immensely quicker. Rev matching? Oh the S4 can do rev matching. You may have thought the IS350 can do rev matching and throttle blips, but you drive the S4 and you realize it was a pathetic attempt. Start to brake hard for an upcoming turn in the S4 and you get an instant and commanding blip followed by another blip as you continue to brake and set up for the turn. The car just happens to know you are lining up for a turn and need to be served up the right gear. Here again, the S4 offers three different options for transmission aggressiveness (comfort, auto, and dynamic). Yes the IS350 offers sport mode but in reality but it has much less of an effect on the behavior of the transmission than when you change settings in the Audi.

SUSPENSION: Tie

Comparing an AWD S4 to the RWD IS350 wouldn’t normally be very fair. The IS350 should be the fun to drive tail happy car and the S4 should be the ponderous nose heavy pig ready to plow the fields (pigs plow fields right?). Unfortunately neither of these cars are perfect. The IS350 combines the excellent traits of RWD being light on its feet and eager to initiate directional changes. The IS350 also has far superior control of body roll. The downside is that the IS350 also seems to combine the traditional traits of an AWD front engine car as well…but this IS350 is not AWD. Translation…the IS350 understeers. It understeers worse than the 3900lb S4. So the S4 has a bit less roll control but when it breaks traction it does so in a relatively neutral drift as opposed to any under or over steer.

STEERING FEEL: Tie

The steering feel of each car is also a matter of preference rather than an all-out win for either. The Lexus has a very nice and linear weight to the steering. It may be slightly numb but the steering is predictable and consistent in weight if not slightly stiff for my taste (but I like soft steering). Most would probably favor the Lexus steering because it does have a nice weight to it and it is consistent. The S4 has a variable weight to it. It electronically reduces effort in parking lots and as speed rises it considerably tightens up. Oh how I miss my 2003 Audi A4 that had regular hydraulic steering. Audi screwed up here. If you are heading down the back strait of a track you will have very firm steering in the S4 regardless of the “drive select” mode you have chosen. Now you come to the end of the back strait and do threshold braking as you line up for a 45mph turn. The steering is going to light up on you mid corner. Now you power out of that corner and, yup, total change in steering feel again back to tight. It’s annoying, if anything. So why is it a tie? Because it’s my comparison is why it’s a tie, haha. In reality it is a tie because I happen to prefer lighter steering in the city and in parking lots. I value it a lot actually and the S4 allows me to one handed steer into a parking space while I’m fiddling with the stereo. So, like I say, most will probably favor the IS350 but I consider it a toss up.

RELIABILITY: Lexus, Lexus, Lexus

What can you say here. Lexus is in an entirely different league in reliability. While the rest of the car companies are separated by 2 points to 5 points in reliability ratings, Lexus sits on its own up front with the next competitor experience almost 60 less points. The S4 is not immune to its problems. The 3.0T FSI engine is a direct injection motor that audi, in their infinite wisdom, has decided does not need secondary port injectors to help reduce carbon buildup. Guess what? The engines get terrible carbon build up. It is not uncommon to have a 3.0 TFSI engine have to go in for a tear down carbon cleaning in as little as 25K miles of use. Of course Audi had this problem dating back to 2007 on their FSI v8 engines in the RS4 but being proactive about fixing problems is not their strong suit. Unfortunately, neither is their corporate stance on servicing vehicles. It is common to hear complaints from S4 drivers who noted carbon buildup to have had to pay out of pocket upwards of a couple thousand dollars to have the carbon buildup removed on a car that is still under warranty because audi’s stance is to put some fuel injector cleaner in the car and hope it goes away. Audi also uses a more service intensive dual clutch transmission that may experience increased need for replacement parts such as pumps and clutches. Lexus, on the other hand, uses the same port and direct injected engine that has been successful for them in multiple applications and for many years. Even the “new” 8 speed transmission is a rather safe and tried and true adaptation of a similar part that had been in the ISF application for years.

VALUE: Lexus

When comparing MSRP and market prices the S4 is about 8 thousand dollars more expensive. In addition, it will be a more costly car to own. The residual on an Audi is about 15% worse than on a Lexus after 3 years making the Lexus extremely attractive to lease as well. The Audi will be worth much less after 3 years. Both cars require premium fuel. The Audi has more service needs when comparing recommended maintenances. So can the positive attributes of the S4 make up for its premium price, higher service costs, and the worse depreciation? Tough call, but the value does go to the Lexus here.

SUMMARY:

In summary, the S4 offers a superior engine and epic transmission while also offering a more user friendly technology interface and more standard equipment tech options. The interior of the S4 is made of higher quality materials but in a more dated design language. The Lexus offers more aggressive but polarizing styling, a futuristic interior design, exemplary car control and chassis, and unparalleled reliability and long term residual value. It’s drivetrain, however, is mediocre in both power and responsiveness and when pushed hard the car tends to oversteer significantly. So if I’m buying, it’s the Lexus IS350. If I’m leasing, it’s the S4. For now, I choose both.

Last edited by bhvrdr; 03-04-15 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 09:14 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice VS review Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 03-04-15, 09:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Nice and thorough review. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and share.
Old 03-04-15, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Unbiased and knowledgeable
Old 03-04-15, 10:31 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Good review. Is the IS350 a base IS350? Not luxury/tech or f-sport package? Some features, such as dynamic grid lines, were implemented in the 2015

Once again, good review and thanks for taking the time to write it up
Old 03-04-15, 10:36 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Thanks very much guys. Yeah I had the standard IS350 with Nav, heated/cooled seats, blind spot, park assist. Its pretty similar to a premium plus S4. You can get the prestige level S4 which is loaded up. Thanks for the feedback. I didnt figure anyone would take the time to read it, lol.

Mike
Old 03-04-15, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Thanks very much guys. Yeah I had the standard IS350 with Nav, heated/cooled seats, blind spot, park assist. Its pretty similar to a premium plus S4. You can get the prestige level S4 which is loaded up. Thanks for the feedback. I didnt figure anyone would take the time to read it, lol.

Mike
We take our Lexus literature very seriously here on CL
Old 03-04-15, 10:56 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Good review lol. Maybe if it was the 15' f sport. Things migjt change a little
Old 03-04-15, 12:26 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Is that review based on the 6-speed or 8 speed transmission?
Old 03-04-15, 12:31 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved reading this thanks! The reliability issue was my biggest roadblock to the Audi brand. Love my first Lexus though!
Old 03-04-15, 12:33 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

thanks very much!

My IS350 is the RWD with the 8 speed.
Old 03-04-15, 12:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
thanks very much! My IS350 is the RWD with the 8 speed.
Have you driven an F-Sport? Drives very differently than a regular IS350. Probably a little better than the S4 from a handling perspective.
Old 03-04-15, 12:51 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Yeah the Fsport does offer the ability to adjust up the dampers but otherwise the suspension components (springs, swaybars, everything) is identical. I cant shame the suspension of the IS350 at all. Around town and anything up to 7/10 driving it is arguably better. Its chassis is better, it resists roll better, it has sharper turn-in. The major flaw is that at 8/10 and up it understeers and it understeers bad.

In reality, if you wanted to make the Lexus pretty close to perfect all you would have to do is put a meaty square tire setup on it and what should be a $150 rear swaybar. So why the #$%#@ does it cost a grand to get swaybars for the Lexus? Some one could make a kiling developing one that is not uber expensive TRD.

Mike
Old 03-04-15, 05:26 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Great Review

I own a 350 F Sport and have driven the S4. Your assessment is dead on. I hated the Audi steering which was not up to the same standard as the rest of the car.

The severe under steer on the IS makes it feel like a neutered RWD car. You can get the back to slide a bit if you power out of a curve in the wet. I hope to improve traction limits and steering feel with Michelin Pilot Super sports which worked well on my previous BMW.
Old 03-05-15, 10:09 AM
Thunderwuf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review. You pointed out the exact things I'd like to know about the S4, which I may consider to lease in a couple of years. I also was going to point out the dynamic lines in the 2015 rear-view camera. I'm not a fan of the rear view camera, but it works for guaging the distance.

Last edited by Thunderwuf; 03-05-15 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Absolutely rediculously long review of the 2015 Audi S4 versus the 2014 Lexus IS350..