IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should I...BMW F80 M3???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 07:33 PM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I...BMW F80 M3???

As many of you you know, it's always very hard to resist the urge to live life on a monthly payment. I've tried to take the more natural progression of automobile upgrades and not just jump to the best. I started out owning various Chevrolet's working my way through Honda's, Nissan's and most recently Lexus. Every day I try to fool myself into "loving" my I350 F Sport but I just can't. It has that fun factor but that is about as far as it goes for me. After what I classify working hard, here I am today living the dream I've always imagined. God and family, and a pretty darn nice car in my garage. As a child my crush car was always a BMW, more specifically the M3.

Anyhow, enough gushing. I really, really, want to purchase an F80 M3.

My perfect build would be mineral white metallic with the sakhir orange/black extended merino leather (don't care about having all leather), lighting package, adaptive M suspension, and M Carbon ceramic brakes. I don't care much more about all the other "tech" packages.

My methodology behind the car build has changed quite a few times as I ponder this idea. I actually started out with a more basic car. Initially I was thinking about leasing since it's a "new" model. I've been on countless forums and my thought process is to actually order the car the way I want it.

So, I'm super excited to own this dream machine. What are your thoughts behind my methodology?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks
Old 02-20-15, 07:58 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get what you really want as long as you are comfortable with the payment and you are sure you wont switch again. I know the feeling.
Old 02-20-15, 08:14 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rgonza1
So, I'm super excited to own this dream machine. What are your thoughts behind my methodology?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks
Look into purchasing with ED. Don't know if they offer huge discounts on M models with ED, but for most models they do. You'll save a ton of money and get to vacation in Germany when you pick it up. Go for what you want. I like Lexus as much as the next guy, but I like BMW even more.
Old 02-20-15, 08:18 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can afford it, and don't care about the loss on the Lexus, go for it.
Old 02-20-15, 08:26 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice choice but honestly, the interior is not that impressive...maybe I'm too used to the 3 series. Is the RC F an option?
Old 02-20-15, 08:34 PM
rgonza1
Driver

I agree the interior is not the most key selling point. But for me that is not the reason I want to buy it. In my opinion it's the total package. I thought about the RC F but I have always wanted an M model BMW more specifically the M3. I do have some time to think it over since I don't plan on making any moves til 2016. Stay tuned.
Old 02-20-15, 08:59 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good choice. i'd go M over RCF all day everyday
Old 02-20-15, 10:20 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about I say go for it. In worse case you can turn around to sell it. It is not like you gonna lose all the money if you make a wrong decision. I bet you will be so happy to own your dream car. My dream is the RCF will get higher Rpm in future thats when I will pull the trigger or it gonna diet 100lbs.
Old 02-21-15, 01:21 AM
glo6035
Rookie

A new M3 would be amazing, might not be suited for a daily driver for some. Color combo would be badass. Obviously costly outside of warranty, could always order and lease as well.
Old 02-21-15, 03:27 AM
hoya08
Driver School Candidate

Can't go wrong with an M car. You can definitely order to lease and, if it's a solid build, buy it. If it turns out to be a "lemon", buy something new at the end of the lease. Rethink the ceramic brakes though. Should you keep the M, the ceramic brakes are gonna cost a shiny penny to replace. If you're not doing any HPDE or tracking, you may want to skip the ceramic.

My favorite M models are the e46 and the e9X. If it wasn't for my wife's previous job, which required a lot of traveling, I would have ordered an M3 (E9x) instead of our current Audi A4. However, at that time, I had an '00 M Roadster as our fun car... never a dull moment, and never any mechanical issues.
Old 02-21-15, 08:39 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

You know...get it!

Get it in manual too...

The E46 was my favorite. I have always wanted one...still head turner when I see one on the road!
Old 02-21-15, 11:19 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would skip the ceramic brakes.
They will not help you stop faster on daily driving or even spirited driving on the street.
it doesn't give you as much bite as steel brakes on daily drive until you get it hot on hard braking.
I would suggest you get some pads, line and rotors combo if you do plan to hit the track.
Old 02-21-15, 12:25 PM
Loe
Pole Position

It's an upgrade, definitely, and you can't go wrong with an M3. However, do realize that this generation of M3 isn't as pure as the ones following it, despite putting down better #'s. BMW really messed up the steering on the F-bodied cars, even though the M is supposed to be better (Why does my "non-performance" Lexus have a better feeling e-steering system?). The suspension is sublime on the F8X M's though, where as the previous ones were annoying stiff in damping.

They did do a better job on the 2series in terms of feedback and feel, so I will more than likely go back to the M family myself in a couple years! See you there if you get your M3.
Old 07-30-16, 07:14 PM
zstoja
Driver School Candidate

2016 M3 is not what I expected. That is reason I do not know to buy it or not.
It is different now. Like riding, not driving.
I tested 2 new 2016 M3 and M4. I am not impressed. You will get speed, nothing more. Maybe it is enough for you, not for me.
Old 07-30-16, 08:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

find it used, plenty of them out there with a big price drop

Quick Reply: Should I...BMW F80 M3???