Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS350 does not have 350 hp lol, they all have the 3.5L V6 which makes 306HP
Old 02-18-15, 11:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I think you get a lot for your money with the Lexus IS. For mid to high 40K you can get nav with free traffic and weather, sliding glass moon roof, GREAT handling, adequate horsepower (350), depending on package, Blind Spot Monitoring w Rear Cross Traffic Alert, heated and ventilated seats, Lexus quality and reliability. IMO, for the price, Lexus offers a heck of a car. I guess it comes down to what you want. I think regardless of reasons, deep down you know what you want, so go for it, as long as you can afford it.

Originally Posted by nabizzy
IS350 does not have 350 hp lol, they all have the 3.5L V6 which makes 306HP
Assuming this quote is what you are referring to, I believe PatrixUSA meant that you get adequate horsepower on the IS350 (not IS250), not that it actually has 350 hp.

To the OP, did you make a choice yet?
Old 02-18-15, 12:22 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

Not yet, I keep wavering. I love the look and handling of both cars, but the performance of the S3 is just so tempting. I know the Lexus will be more reliable, and has a much better warranty, etc, but the dark side seems to be calling me. I just don't want to be 2-3 years into IS350 ownership and be disappointed in the performance, knowing it will never be better no matter what.
Old 02-18-15, 12:59 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FabianS
Not yet, I keep wavering. I love the look and handling of both cars, but the performance of the S3 is just so tempting. I know the Lexus will be more reliable, and has a much better warranty, etc, but the dark side seems to be calling me. I just don't want to be 2-3 years into IS350 ownership and be disappointed in the performance, knowing it will never be better no matter what.
Upgrade to better tires, whole suspension system and anything that supports the chassis, cosmetics, etc. I'm sure you can span all of that little by little for more than 3 years if it ends up being null at the time. You treat her well, she'll treat you right.
Old 02-18-15, 03:57 PM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Lol u might be 2-3 years into Audi ownership and cursing that S3. Seriously get the S3 and scratch the itch. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll land a reliable one, maybe you won't and you'll learn a lesson. Either way, your true goal in life should be the acquisition of a Lotus or similar sports car. Have you seen the new Evora 400?
Old 02-18-15, 03:59 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

Don't need a lotus, as I already have a 1995 porsche 911 C4 as a fun car
Old 02-18-15, 04:48 PM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Don't need a lotus, as I already have a 1995 porsche 911 C4 as a fun car
Then who cares how sedate your DD is!!!
Old 02-18-15, 05:08 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

I do to some degree. After I got my 911 2 years ago I remembered how much I always like to drive fast, good handling cars. It's what made me decide to get rid of my truck, plus the fact I don't dirt bike anymore after separating my shoulder. If the IS had just a bit more power, or the ability to have more without crazy mods, I wouldn't even be double thinking it. The fact is the S3 is MUCH faster stock, and feels it no doubt. I do like the interior, and materials in the IS more, and so does my wife (she just got a new NX). Call me weird, but the NuLux seems like a great material for the seats. Easy care, and will look great for years, while the S3 interior will wear and get scuffs. The seats in the IS are comfortable, and hold you in better to boot!
Old 02-19-15, 04:07 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MTLDean
Lol u might be 2-3 years into Audi ownership and cursing that S3. Seriously get the S3 and scratch the itch. Maybe you'll get lucky and you'll land a reliable one, maybe you won't and you'll learn a lesson. Either way, your true goal in life should be the acquisition of a Lotus or similar sports car. Have you seen the new Evora 400?
They really should put a detuned version of that engine in the IS350

on a side note, what does the 2GR-FSE have over the supercharged 2GR-FE aside from direct injection? Give me the 2GR-FE and it's 7,000 rpm redline and better fuel economy (even in less aero cars like the Camry/Avalon) anyday and put the 2GR-FSE to pasture
Old 02-19-15, 08:14 AM
FSportAJL
Driver School Candidate

Coming from a previous German driver I feel like I can give you some insight. I had 2 VW GTIs and a VW Golf R which was the GTI but AWD and bigger turbo (K04 Turbo). I loved those german cars they were so zippy and fun and i modified every single one i made 314 all wheel horsepower on the golf r. I got a job in downtown and just wanted a comfortable car for the commute and when i saw the 350 Fsport white with red interior i fell in love. The car definitely is not as fast or torqy as my other VWs but it still gets going in high RPMs and although i loved the german cars, they did break down. Im happy with my 350 F and think for the price i got it i couldnt go wrong.
Old 02-19-15, 09:07 AM
FPerform
Driver

I bought a brand new 2011 Audi S4 in late 2010. It was my dream car, I was on cloud nine when I brought it home. Within the first few months the water pump failed (3 days at the dealer). Then a piece of weather stripping fell off the rear door jamb. Then the electrical system behind all the lights and screen in the dash started to flicker on and off. Even with video of it, they wouldn't fix it unless it failed totally. For three months I had to drive a 65k car with a screen that died and came back to life ten times a day before it finally failed. Another 5 days at the dealer. Then the headlight washers both failed a few months apart from each other. Took a whole new bumper and 3 days at the dealer to repair. Then, when I picked it up, the bumper corners didn't line up with the front 3/4 panels - another day and a half at the dealer. Then, two visits for oil in a year besides the scheduled annual oil change due to extreme consumption. All this in 2 years and 12,000 km of pampered driving. Then, a miracle. 8 months of no problems at all. I was convinced that all the kinks were worked out and the car would be normal and trouble free at last. At 18,000 km, I turned it on one day and about five CELs went up and the car felt like it was running on two misfiring cylinders. Sure enough, the dreaded carbon buildup in a 3L TFSI supercharged engine that was never supposed to happen. That took five days to fix - header from the block, valve clean outs, and so on.

So I must have gotten a lemon, right? My brother in law's S4, same year also had a water pump failure, and needed a clutch replacement in the first year. My other brother in law's A4 had about ten servos controlling windshield wipers, mirrors, windows etc comically fail one after the other. After the thirtieth time in the shop, he sold it. One of my colleagues had his steering column fail on a highway radiator go twice, and light ballasts self destruct within the first year if ownership.

I want to throw his out there: I have owned two Lotus over four years and I've had ONE CEL (that's 1) go on in that entire time for a loose fuel cap. Again, that's Lotus, as in cobbled together by drunk Englishmen in the countryside as opposed to a Teutonic factory with a German dude whipping the assembly line.

I sold that poor S4 and got a GX460 and never looked back. I love that big slothy beast, and am looking for another Lexus to add to the family now. Yes the Audi was fast as hell, but it was also disconnected from the road, had comatose steering, and was bland as all hell to look at. Once you've had a Lotus Elise, you stop trying to find sporty daily drivers. There's really no point.
Anyways. All this to say that, if the OP didn't already pull the trigger, I would definitely go for the Lexus. As a scientist I'm very well aware if the difference between data and anecdotes, but after you've been to hell and back with what is supposed to be a prime example of modern tech (the S4) you stop caring about rankings and quality reports and all that.
Good lord...can't say it's the first story like this I've heard however.
Old 02-19-15, 04:39 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Then who cares how sedate your DD is!!!
You're saying that I guy who likes sports cars should be OK with a "sedate" daily driver? Me thinks you have things backwards. I have a sports car, too, but that doesn't mean I want my "practical" car, the car that I drive most of the time to be boring. Enter IS350 RWD.
Old 02-19-15, 05:51 PM
FabianS
Driver School Candidate

Well fellas, looks like I'm going to go with the Audi. Appreciate all the feedback. I'll still stick around as we also have a 2015 Lexus NX.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-15, 07:35 PM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that's an interesting decision. Wish you the best with the Audi. Definitely a nice car regardless
Old 02-19-15, 10:46 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Well fellas, looks like I'm going to go with the Audi. Appreciate all the feedback. I'll still stick around as we also have a 2015 Lexus NX.

Cheers.
Good job my friend. I will see you in Audiworld soon then. I am already there

t is ultra fast and it is ultra fun. Yes it is less reliable then Lexus but it is well worth the risk to take for the reward that you get with S3.

Quick Reply: Help me decide (IS350 vs. S3)