IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RWD in Winter Weather

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 04:47 PM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD in Winter Weather

Anyone ever driven the non-AWD in (any of the recent) snowstorms? Would really prefer the 350, RWD but have to consider New England weather.

Last edited by Lxi; 02-03-15 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 05:55 PM
Logansrun2
Driver School Candidate

Sorry drive my truck when snow is on road but I do take out in winter the summer tires are bad in winter F 350 RWD 2014
Old 02-03-15, 08:39 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

i'm wondering the same thing. I live in PA not nearly as bad as new england but we still get alot of the same crap as you guys do. I wouldn't mind picking up the RWD 350 for $2500 cheaper. no question that i would get an extra set of rims and snow tires though.
Old 02-03-15, 10:59 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest the AWD, but if it's an issue, you could always throw a bunch of sandbags in the back of the car to give you some more traction.
Old 02-04-15, 04:45 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

There are plenty of people who drive various RWD cars all year around here in PA. Just throw a good set of winter tires on and some weight in the trunk. I would not have personally chosen RWD though, I'm much happier knowing I have the AWD in the snow. My dad, for example, has lived here all of his life and drove nothing but RWD cars until just recently. I have zero experience with the level of snow that you get in New England though.

Last edited by tC2IS350; 02-04-15 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-04-15, 05:45 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have to drive in the snow storms, I would get the awd. You have to get good snow tires and replace the summer tires on the front also during the winter. The summer tires are worthless below 40 degrees and the car won't handle right. I have the AWD 350 and it go's pretty well in the snow.

Originally Posted by Lxi
Anyone ever driven the non-AWD in (any of the recent) snowstorms? Would really prefer the 350, RWD but have to consider New England weather.
Old 02-04-15, 06:34 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 350 f sport RWD and I have driven through multiple dustings of snow. Some have been an inch and some have been almost a foot. I have a winter tire package that consists of rims and blizzak tires. For being RWD, the car has exceeded my expectations of driving in poor snow conditions. The snow mode and traction control make the car extremely safe and planted. You shouldn't have any issues in the snow with RWD as long as you have winter tires and are not driving like an idiot. This car really is a tank in bad weather. Couldn't be happier with my RWD model.
Old 02-04-15, 12:01 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost every car back in the day was rwd. Put on some winters and you'll be fine.
I see plenty of Mustangs and Crown Vics year round here in Canada
Old 02-04-15, 12:17 PM
Imprezario
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Snow storms (up to 20 cm of fresh snow per day) , ice rains - I'm getting the whole lot of winter driving pleasures with my lowered RWD car ) Just because Lexus doesn't offer AWD IS in Russia.
Old 02-04-15, 12:29 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
Randre I have hard time believing you drove through foot of snow especially the recent snowstorm. Isn't it a pain swapping tires every season?
It wasn't quiet a foot, but I have run into some thick snow on roads that haven't been plowed very well, at least 7-8 inches. Ultimately, no one is driving like a idiot when its snowing out or wen the roads are slushy/icy. If you bought the RWD model and dont have winter tires, dont plan on driving in anything below 40 degrees. You will not move and lose traction at every turn or stop.

The winter package I have includes free swaps, aligment, and storage for the life of the tires so all I have to do is take the car to the dealer when I want them switched and its that easy.
Old 02-04-15, 05:29 PM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

I'm probably exhibiting a generational difference. Quite sure I'm older than most. We grew up with nothing but RWD sport cars and had no choice but to drive them in the New England winters. Some cars obviously better than others. The IS sedan will be a third car that's more practical than a convertible I currently drive. With access to my wives AWD for tough storms, I can go either way. Changing tires is a bit of a hassle here, so if the car is tough to handle (with a few bags of potatoes) AWD may be the most practical.
Old 02-04-15, 06:44 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Randre19
It wasn't quiet a foot, but I have run into some thick snow on roads that haven't been plowed very well, at least 7-8 inches. Ultimately, no one is driving like a idiot when its snowing out or wen the roads are slushy/icy. If you bought the RWD model and dont have winter tires, dont plan on driving in anything below 40 degrees. You will not move and lose traction at every turn or stop.

The winter package I have includes free swaps, aligment, and storage for the life of the tires so all I have to do is take the car to the dealer when I want them switched and its that easy.
I find the stock all-seasons are adequate for cold weather driving, and very light snow, even with RWD. I have a "beater" with snow tires (a RWD BMW) that I drive on the really sloppy or icy days.

Swapping wheels at home takes less than an hour. The TPM issue does complicate things, of course.
Old 02-04-15, 08:35 PM
ANinhja
Driver School Candidate

I drove my 2015 IS 250 F-Sport RWD up from Florida to Michigan in early January. I took some stops along the way, one of them being Indianapolis, Indiana. That night, it snowed a few inches, and when I tried to leave the next day, my car was useless. It came equipped with summer tires, which I knew would be a problem but just not how badly. I couldn't get any traction and fishtailed like crazy. I spent the entire day looking for all-season tires and finally got a good pair installed.

I ended up getting Continental SportContact All-Season tires from Discount Tire. They work great, and were highly rated online. I'd still recommend winter tires specifically for snow. I've been managing fine, and it's fun to slide around in the snow at times, but if you hit thicker snow it's easy to get stuck. I should probably add some weight to my trunk. I do wish I had gone with AWD, but I'll manage.

Tires don't come cheap, especially good quality ultra-performance tires. Just keep that in mind when you're shopping around.
Old 02-05-15, 04:09 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
I must be in the minority I read so many posters saying "just throw some winter tires" like it's changing underwear. I don't plan on doing any mods. Am I the only Stale Dale around here?
Changing tires isn't a mod. Do you perhaps know what "mod" means?

Changing tires is more of an investment protection to stop you from wrapping yourself around a tree.
Old 02-05-15, 04:36 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awd isn't always tht shizzle. its all about the tires. read and watch: http://jalopnik.com/heres-irrefutabl...hle-1671708207

just get the rwd (trust me, the 8 speed tranny is so much better than the years of past 6 speed), spend the monetary difference from the awd and get some oem or aftermarket wheels with some snow tires. you'll be golden!

Quick Reply: RWD in Winter Weather