IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Downshift clunk when coming to a stop? IS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 05:55 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Downshift clunk when coming to a stop? IS350

Has anyone noticed a reasonably quiet clunk from the car when coming to a stop? It happens when the transmission automatically shifts into 1st gear with your foot on the brakes.

I noticed that in my car, you can feel a slight lurch forward as the transmission downshifts into first when approaching a stop sign. If I am barely on the brakes, I feel the slight lurch but don't hear anything. Under normal braking, that slight lurch happens along with a clunk. You wouldn't hear it with the radio on, but it's very repeatable and with the windows down you can hear it as well coming from under the car somewhere.
Old 01-22-15, 06:24 AM
Avet
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...when I parking the car and shifting gear to P the car kind of slips/clunk after a second. And that is on my new IS and GS.
Old 01-22-15, 06:34 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar issue with my LS 2 weeks ago. My issue was low transmission fluid. I had a hose pop off and loss of fluid. Hose was replaced, fluid added, but not added correctly. I had the clunk when stopping hard, but not when doing a soft stop. The car would also not positively engage into gear when putting it in Drive or Reverse. It was delayed and soft. I took the car to a Lexus dealer, and they added fluid and ran the transmission the correct way while doing so. All issues fixed.

I have no idea if this is your issue, but based on what your car is doing, I felt I should share my experience.
Old 01-22-15, 10:25 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hades281
Has anyone noticed a reasonably quiet clunk from the car when coming to a stop? It happens when the transmission automatically shifts into 1st gear with your foot on the brakes.

I noticed that in my car, you can feel a slight lurch forward as the transmission downshifts into first when approaching a stop sign. If I am barely on the brakes, I feel the slight lurch but don't hear anything. Under normal braking, that slight lurch happens along with a clunk. You wouldn't hear it with the radio on, but it's very repeatable and with the windows down you can hear it as well coming from under the car somewhere.
Are you sure it is transmission? It very well may be a brake issue (a small one that perhaps does not even need to be looked at). Sometimes pads shift within a caliper as the pads get worn out (get smaller). Anyhow, I don't have that problem on my 3IS.
Old 01-22-15, 11:03 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No...can't say I've noticed or heard anything like that on my 3IS. I know when downshifting from 3 to 2 via D mode the engine braking is rather heavy. Nothing from 2 to 1 though, especially a clank sound. I will double check when I take my car to lunch though.
Old 01-22-15, 11:47 AM
dharma
Driver School Candidate

I've been hearing something similar recently too. ~2k miles on my 2014 IS350F. Sometimes when braking and coming to a stop I hear a clunk from the back of the car. Not 100% sure if it's the tranny though; always thought it might be the brakes or something in my trunk since I have a lot of junk in my trunk.
Old 01-27-15, 01:00 PM
Jagstyles
Rookie

Add me to the list. I hear this several times a day when initially pressing the brakes, but it sounds like its coming from the front, not the back.
Old 04-10-15, 11:56 AM
rsx2crazy
Rookie

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i am now experiencing this issue and my car is only a month old.

Anyone got this fixed or know whats causing this??
Old 04-10-15, 01:31 PM
aritweets
Driver

I get that clunk as well in my 250...but here is the thing.

In a manual car, you never ever come into 1st gear when approaching a red light/stop sign. it's terrible for the transmission...

But since it's tip-tronic/lease, who cares right?
Old 04-10-15, 01:40 PM
rsx2crazy
Rookie

Originally Posted by aritweets
I get that clunk as well in my 250...but here is the thing.

In a manual car, you never ever come into 1st gear when approaching a red light/stop sign. it's terrible for the transmission...

But since it's tip-tronic/lease, who cares right?
Haha. Well for the people that don't have leases, its a bit concerning. It doesn't happen all the time, but randomly. I believe that it occurs when the transmission is trying to downshift into the lower gears like 2nd or 1st.
Old 04-10-15, 01:47 PM
profet
Rookie

I don't think the transmission in my IS 350 AWD F-Sport has ever downshifted to first without me pulling the paddle.

And it really shouldn't. It should go to neutral and then engage first when stopped.
Old 04-10-15, 01:55 PM
rsx2crazy
Rookie

Originally Posted by profet
I don't think the transmission in my IS 350 AWD F-Sport has ever downshifted to first without me pulling the paddle.

And it really shouldn't. It should go to neutral and then engage first when stopped.
hmm, maybe its the disengagement of 2nd going into neutral then because I hear it when i'm creeping to a complete stop.
Old 04-11-15, 05:45 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it happening on RWD only?
Old 04-11-15, 11:18 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut my mufflers off and feel the "clunk" too. It's like a backfire sound that is more prevalent with no mufflers because I can feel and hear it when I am slowing down and the engine is downshifting for me.
Old 06-09-18, 08:21 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

I am hearing the same clunking noise from my transmission as well when coming to a stop. Did anyone find out if this is normal?

Quick Reply: Downshift clunk when coming to a stop? IS350