IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

“Re-Sealing” Low Profile Tire after Rim Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 12:50 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default “Re-Sealing” Low Profile Tire after Rim Repair?

One of my front F Sport rims was bent and not holding air, so I had it repaired at a reputable shop.

The rim sat in my trunk for a day or so, but when I went to install it, I noticed that the tire was soft.

I put more air in it and waited another day or so, but it still wasn’t holding air.

The shop took it back and returned it to me stating they “re-sealed” it because it’s a low profile tire. I couldn’t get a good explanation regarding this, however.

Do anyone know what “re-sealing’ a rim / tire means? Is there something more to low profile tires than simply mounting them to a rim? I hope some workaround, short of proper repair wasn’t used.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-15, 01:55 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume they just re-lubricated the bead. If it stays sealed, it's all good.

Mike
Old 01-21-15, 10:23 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
I assume they just re-lubricated the bead. If it stays sealed, it's all good.
Hmm; I'm honestly not sure!?

What is the bead?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-15, 11:19 PM
DarkMastyr
Driver School Candidate

Basically the part of the rubber that contacts the wheel. A common solution to get a good seal is to actually use something like hairspray.
Old 01-22-15, 09:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Sometimes when the tire has been on the wheel for a while the bead gets dirty/grimy and when it gets re-installed after a tire repair it doesn't seal up right. The tire shop should have cleaned the area before mounting.

Ed
Old 01-22-15, 09:38 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Basically the part of the rubber that contacts the wheel. A common solution to get a good seal is to actually use something like hairspray.
Originally Posted by SC300Es
Sometimes when the tire has been on the wheel for a while the bead gets dirty/grimy and when it gets re-installed after a tire repair it doesn't seal up right. The tire shop should have cleaned the area before mounting.
Got it!

THANKS!
Old 01-22-15, 10:11 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

I had this problem on a previous car. I had the tire remounted at three different shops and none ever got it fixed. Every two weeks I would have to inflate the tire. As much as I hate to admit it I finally put some Green Slime in the tire. I drove it another five or six years and never had another problem.
Gooey crap yes, but the stuff worked.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 01-22-15, 11:51 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I had this problem on a previous car. I had the tire remounted at three different shops and none ever got it fixed. Every two weeks I would have to inflate the tire. As much as I hate to admit it I finally put some Green Slime in the tire. I drove it another five or six years and never had another problem.
Gooey crap yes, but the stuff worked.
Wow; interesting.

Never heard of this until now.

Hope fixed. :|
Old 02-07-15, 08:47 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

AT MY WITS END.

Took the wheel in once, took it back a second time, took it back a third time, picked it up yesterday and still have a problem. Wheel looks great - as good as new - but still losing air.

The shop is wheelfixit.com, which all local dealers use for rim repair.

What can’t they get this right? Should I bring it back again? Should I ask for my money back? I’m just confused.

Should I attempt ‘green slime’? What are its pros and cons? Will it damage anything?

Please advise ASAP.

Thank you very much!
Old 02-07-15, 09:40 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could have any one of several issues going on.

1. The bead on the tire could be damaged from mounting and dismounting and no longer even and able to provide a good seal. You wouldnt be able to see this unless the tire is dismounted.
2. The inside lip of the rim was not properly cleaned/finished and is preventing a good seal.
3. Any number of leaks that are coming from a different area altogether such as a hairline crack in the barrel of the wheel, a leaky valvestem, or a slight puncture in the tire.

I wouldnt use the green stuff until you find out the problem. The issue with using the slime is that when you go to change your tire again down the road some day you will have to deal with this issue all over again because the slime will make it very hard to get a good seal again once you remove the tire.

I would absolutely bring it back again for them to troubleshoot and hopefully fix.

Mike
Old 02-09-15, 07:52 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
You could have any one of several issues going on.

1. The bead on the tire could be damaged from mounting and dismounting and no longer even and able to provide a good seal. You wouldnt be able to see this unless the tire is dismounted.
2. The inside lip of the rim was not properly cleaned/finished and is preventing a good seal.
3. Any number of leaks that are coming from a different area altogether such as a hairline crack in the barrel of the wheel, a leaky valvestem, or a slight puncture in the tire.

I wouldnt use the green stuff until you find out the problem. The issue with using the slime is that when you go to change your tire again down the road some day you will have to deal with this issue all over again because the slime will make it very hard to get a good seal again once you remove the tire.

I would absolutely bring it back again for them to troubleshoot and hopefully fix.

Mike
Thank you for the great, in-depth detail, bhvdr!

Really pains me to have to bring it back a fourth time.

Let’s see what happens...