IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

GS F Sport Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 02:26 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

hey guys, i am very interested in doing this shift **** switch. but before i order the parts i want to make sure i know exactly what I'm getting myself into lol. if someone could clarify that would be great...

I need to buy the GS Fsport Shift **** and Shift Boot. The boot because the clip that holds up the shift **** on the GS is different from the one of the IS. Correct?

Secondly, do i have to take apart the center console for this? or can i just just change the clips out without doing so.

Lastly, i see people are using zipties to hold it together? why exactly is that? will i have to do it as well? thanks in advance, just want to make sure i know what I'm getting myself into before doing this
Old 10-31-15, 03:01 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shivad87
hey guys, i am very interested in doing this shift **** switch. but before i order the parts i want to make sure i know exactly what I'm getting myself into lol. if someone could clarify that would be great...

I need to buy the GS Fsport Shift **** and Shift Boot. The boot because the clip that holds up the shift **** on the GS is different from the one of the IS. Correct?

Secondly, do i have to take apart the center console for this? or can i just just change the clips out without doing so.

Lastly, i see people are using zipties to hold it together? why exactly is that? will i have to do it as well? thanks in advance, just want to make sure i know what I'm getting myself into before doing this
Things Needed:
Shift ****
Shift Boot
Zip Tie (make sure you get a small one)

Philips Screw Driver
Prying tool

You need to buy both because the clip in the IS does not fit both the GS and RCF shift ****. The stock clip is attached to the shift boot by a zip tie from the factory. You have to remove the center console so you can flip the shift boot inside out. You would then need to cut the zip tie to remove the old clip and then use another zip tie to attach the new clip back to the shift boot. Picture 5 of the second link from the OP pretty much shows what it looks like stock if you flip it inside out.

Once you do the clip swap, you will understand why everyone its taking a part their center console to do this. When I did it, it was pretty imtimidating and I did feel like I was going to break something but I am glad I did it. I wish it was a simple swap but it wasn't that bad. Just make sure u watch the video a few times before you try.

Last edited by Stevent; 10-31-15 at 03:04 PM.