IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

engine break in period - truth or myth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:09 PM
2012IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine break in period - truth or myth?

I've always wondered about the engine break in period and was wondering what are you guys' opinions and what the actual truth is (or if there is even one). This is my second brand new car and with my previous one, the '12 IS 250, I waited until my car hit 1000 miles before I put the pedal to the floor. Now, with the '15 IS 250 F Sport, I'm planning on doing the same thing but I'm moving down to L.A soon and really want to break in the engine before moving down there; problem, I have 455 miles on it and don't go out driving much (I'm putting at most 80-90 miles a week). Is the engine already broken in from the factory or should I still follow what the manual suggests? Thanks!
Old 01-13-15, 07:56 PM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myth, there broken in at the factory. I took mine to the track with 433 miles on it and it loved every pass!
Old 01-13-15, 09:04 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt the engine change at around ~8000 km... It might not be breaking period dunno
Old 01-13-15, 11:18 PM
zabone
Rookie

I think myth... Father had a new 99 corolla back in, well, 99.. Drove that thing brand new in nyc stop and go, constant idling, bumper-bumper traffic. 185k miles, still going. No consumption, rough idling, etc.
Old 01-13-15, 11:47 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably a myth, might be true to the older cars. I sort of floored it today for the first time! 1200 miles!!
Old 01-13-15, 11:58 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

I can't comment much... I did a burnout leaving the dealer.... LOL
Old 01-14-15, 01:55 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by scarboy693
I can't comment much... I did a burnout leaving the dealer.... LOL
LoL i did the same !!

no worries just drive it !!
Old 01-14-15, 10:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Nissan breaks in their GTRs on a test track so every car is track ready when it rolls off the truck. So thats why every new GTR has about 40 miles on it
Old 01-14-15, 11:07 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Engine? Probably a myth, but doesn't hurt to ease into it.
Rest of the car? Brakes, suspension, and the rest of the car would benefit from a proper break in
Old 01-14-15, 11:20 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Engine? Probably a myth, but doesn't hurt to ease into it.
Rest of the car? Brakes, suspension, and the rest of the car would benefit from a proper break in
I understand how to bed in new brakes (not a very gentle process actually) but I have to say I am curious how you recommend properly breaking in the suspension and "rest of the car"?

Mike
Old 01-14-15, 12:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

drive the car normal, dont beat on it but dont baby it

on the Z06 forums I believe every engine is dynoed so its pretty much broken in but they have a 1500 mile break in for the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 01-14-15, 02:59 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Just follow the manual....there's a reason.

Remember you are breaking in more than just the engine.
Old 01-14-15, 04:45 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

The manual says 621 miles or something...I didn't really take it easy on my car tho (it's a lease anyway). It does feel like it is much more response now that its around 1900 miles. Although I'm sure that's just because the ecu has learned my driving style.
Old 01-15-15, 04:48 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

If you think the laws of physics of mechanical moving parts are a myth, then sure, I guess it could be a myth. Your IS is not put through the break-in at the factory that a GT-R is put through, for example. I will always follow the manual, plus some additional precautions.

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-01.pdf

■ Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
● For the first 186 miles (300 km):
Avoid sudden stops.
● For the first 621 miles (1000 km):
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.
• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

Last edited by tC2IS350; 01-15-15 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 05:23 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

I'm not familiar with any law of physics that related to breaking-in a new car.

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread.

Suspensions do not require break-in. I dont know where that came from.

The GT-R is not broken in at the factory. The car is run around the test track a couple times to make sure there are no problems. The GT-R owners manual still includes almost an identical templated break-in procedure that our manual includes.

The first thing the manual notes is to avoid sudden stops for a hundred miles or so (186 miles). This is most likely related to making sure you have proper pad transfer or "bed-in" on the brakes. Since they dont want to have people doing a single break-in on the brakes (since most people are not car gurus) the probably figure 186 miles of normal driving will show pad transfer. During this period you will also experience tire break-in. This is probably also why they say dont abruptly stop during this break-in period.

As tirerack states...

"As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together."

I imagine that is one of the single most important factors in keeping the "break-in" template in owners manuals. To avoid lawsuits related to people driving like loonies when they leave the lot with new slick tires.

The breaking in of the engine is going to happen from driving the car whether it be driving the ##@$ out of it or not. Actually it would be worse to keep the car lugged at a low rpm.

If you needed to break in the car quicker, you could probably bed the brakes yourself the day your leave the lot and do some aggressive driving to get the tires heat cycled a few times (being very cautious and aware of loss of traction) and be done with the break-in in a couple days.

I had my car at the track doing lap days soon after I bought it and it has still gone 9800 miles on the 0w-20 oil without needing a drop of make up oil.

Mike

Quick Reply: engine break in period - truth or myth?