Bad Dealership Experience- Advice Welcomed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 03:58 PM
dsnuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Dealership Experience- Advice Welcomed

Hi Everyone!

Hmm... for the past few months I've had a rocky experience with my local Lexus dealership. I finally got my dream car in combination with a horrible 1st time Lexus experience. First, I was told my car would have the two headlamp projectors which is a feature I really loved about the new 3rd gen look esp. at night ... but mine doesn't have it since its "base". So.. I moved on from that miscommunication from my sales rep and shrugged it off ( I still love my car! ). A month later the dealer contacted me and notified me that the same sales rep incorrectly filled out my VIN paperwork so I've been driving around with the wrong car and insurance information. So I had to go back and fill all the paper work out again, at this point I just wanted to go home and shrug this off. Strike Two.

This past week I took my car in since my check engine light came on-- everything checked out and the service dept. said they troubleshot and everything is good to go. Whatever-- If they said its good to go its good to go so I went on my way.

Before dropping my car off for the servicing I also requested NOT to have the car washed in case of any swirls/inexperienced detailers (I hate the sight of swirls with a passion). I had a feeling that I should take a full walk around my car before leaving the dealership and sure enough I found "lot damage" and a beautiful car full of swirls (yes I know can be fixed). From my right fender and to the center of my driver door there are several streaky scratches and in one area a definite chip into the paint. I was given a few options of either 1.) letting the detailers take care of it (which I know they cannot do anything about the chip) 2.) repaint the car (nooooo not my factory paint!!!) 3.) offer a "few" oil changes and maybe a cup or umbrella for the store (Sorry but that DOESNT erase the chip, scratches, or nightmare IMO)

Yes-- I know very superficial and could be worse but this is my story and fustration. This car is BRAND new and I haven't even had it for more than 3 months. Overall I am left feeling embarrassed of my car and disappointed with this entire process...Any suggestions you guys may have or constructive advice is welcomed. Not sure how they will decide to compensate for this-- at this point I give up.

Thanks all

Last edited by dsnuts; 01-10-15 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-10-15, 04:47 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's horrible. If it was me, I would had told them to give me another car haha. The scratches can be easily fixed with a buff (I had a lot of scratches on the day of delivery, so I made sure they buffed it out before I took it home). What's stumping me is the chip paint. I have no experience with chip paint, but can't they use a primer and touch up paint to fix it up?
Old 01-10-15, 05:01 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnuts
Hi Everyone!

Hmm... for the past few months I've had a rocky experience with my local Lexus dealership. I finally got my dream car in combination with a horrible 1st time Lexus experience. First, I was told my car would have the two headlamp projectors which is a feature I really loved about the new 3rd gen look esp. at night ... but mine doesn't have it since its "base". So.. I moved on from that miscommunication from my sales rep and shrugged it off ( I still love my car! ). A month later the dealer contacted me and notified me that the same sales rep incorrectly filled out my VIN paperwork so I've been driving around with the wrong car and insurance information. So I had to go back and fill all the paper work out again, at this point I just wanted to go home and shrug this off. Strike Two.

This past week I took my car in since my check engine light came on-- everything checked out and the service dept. said they troubleshot and everything is good to go. Whatever-- If they said its good to go its good to go so I went on my way.

Before dropping my car off for the servicing I also requested NOT to have the car washed in case of any swirls/inexperienced detailers (I hate the sight of swirls with a passion). I had a feeling that I should take a full walk around my car before leaving the dealership and sure enough I found "lot damage" and a beautiful car full of swirls (yes I know can be fixed). From my right fender and to the center of my driver door there are several streaky scratches and in one area a definite chip into the paint. I was given a few options of either 1.) letting the detailers take care of it (which I know they cannot do anything about the chip) 2.) repaint the car (nooooo not my factory paint!!!) 3.) offer a "few" oil changes and maybe a cup or umbrella for the store (Sorry but that DOESNT erase the chip, scratches, or nightmare IMO)

Yes-- I know very superficial and could be worse but this is my story and fustration. This car is BRAND new and I haven't even had it for more than 3 months. Overall I am left feeling embarrassed of my car and disappointed with this entire process...Any suggestions you guys may have or constructive advice is welcomed. Not sure how they will decide to compensate for this-- at this point I give up.

Thanks all

Somebodys *** would have got whooped! I would let them fix it. Lexus is usually pretty good about doing the right thing. I'm glad my dealership only handwash cars.
Old 01-10-15, 07:00 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to read that mess Can't you ask for it to be repaired at another dealership with the invoice sent to the first one? I'd try that! IMO it's a way of showing you're upset and don't trust them.
Old 01-11-15, 07:13 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Sorry to read that mess Can't you ask for it to be repaired at another dealership with the invoice sent to the first one? I'd try that! IMO it's a way of showing you're upset and don't trust them.
Good suggestion! It will avoid the OP the back and forth game with the original dealer.
Old 01-11-15, 07:17 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to hear this. This dealer should be fired I know someone's *** would've been whiped My parents went through a horrible experience similar to this (incorrect paperwork, etc.) and were given a few free oil changes. Of course, the resolution wasn't going to fix the inconvenience and embarrassment, but my beloved mother made a drama show of her own at the dealer
Old 01-11-15, 05:43 PM
dsnuts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PAPI007
Somebodys *** would have got whooped! I would let them fix it. Lexus is usually pretty good about doing the right thing. I'm glad my dealership only handwash cars.
Hahahaha! Thank you Papi, fortunately the associate that has been helping me has been more helpful than I had originally anticipated so I think they're willing to work something out to make sure everything is right (IMO there is nothing that will make this right)

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Thanks Aero-- Good idea... I know a shop around me that did phenomenal work on my previous C230 Kompressor & it's worth a shot if I can request the dealership to front the invoice for that. Either way-- I am still upset about factory paint will be tampered with

Originally Posted by lexi90
Sorry to hear this. This dealer should be fired I know someone's *** would've been whiped My parents went through a horrible experience similar to this (incorrect paperwork, etc.) and were given a few free oil changes. Of course, the resolution wasn't going to fix the inconvenience and embarrassment, but my beloved mother made a drama show of her own at the dealer
Lexi90-- Your parents are lucky!! I tried for *ONNNEE* complimentary oil change and I got a black and white "Nope...but you can get a free coffee mug from the giftshop" errrrrrr.....

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
That's horrible. If it was me, I would had told them to give me another car haha. The scratches can be easily fixed with a buff (I had a lot of scratches on the day of delivery, so I made sure they buffed it out before I took it home). What's stumping me is the chip paint. I have no experience with chip paint, but can't they use a primer and touch up paint to fix it up?
Roite-- I think the chip is deep enough where touch up paint will just make it look even worse ...I just can't believe how this dealership has employees that are so careless when it comes to servicing one of their own! Especially a brand new car
Old 01-11-15, 06:07 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the dealership Lexus of Cerritos by any chance? Cause they are ******ing horrible. Sold me a car that had a few stripped parts on a strut which costs me around $500 total to replace (they wouldn't replace it for me because I found it while installing my lowering springs). Also found out that one of my rear tires was simply patched and not replaced before I bought it off their lot.
Their service department is horrible also. They refuse to replace my dashboard speaker cover that rattles like no other when my car is just cruising. Brought it in 3x already to get it fixed and all they do it put some insulation tape on it, run some "extensive tests", and then tell me it's fixed. A few minutes after I take it for a drive it rattles like hell again. Hopefully this place doesn't represent the service all Lexus dealers provide...
Old 01-11-15, 07:20 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ditto to Lexus of Cerritos being 'sucky'. I work 5 mins from them & purchased my car from Beverly Hills, nuff said.
Old 01-11-15, 09:31 PM
dsnuts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndrewP930
Is the dealership Lexus of Cerritos by any chance? Cause they are ******ing horrible. Sold me a car that had a few stripped parts on a strut which costs me around $500 total to replace (they wouldn't replace it for me because I found it while installing my lowering springs). Also found out that one of my rear tires was simply patched and not replaced before I bought it off their lot.
Their service department is horrible also. They refuse to replace my dashboard speaker cover that rattles like no other when my car is just cruising. Brought it in 3x already to get it fixed and all they do it put some insulation tape on it, run some "extensive tests", and then tell me it's fixed. A few minutes after I take it for a drive it rattles like hell again. Hopefully this place doesn't represent the service all Lexus dealers provide...

Nope-- not Lexus of Cerritos (ouch on some of the yelp reviews) Andrew that doesn't sound right at all :/ did they address the issues regarding your patched tire? IMO the car should come stock and untouched/dammaged when purchased brand new--not sure if you bought used or cpo. Have you tried another dealership?

Originally Posted by geero
Ditto to Lexus of Cerritos being 'sucky'. I work 5 mins from them & purchased my car from Beverly Hills, nuff said.
Funny you say that Geero I was just saying that today to my friends-things would be different at another dealership. I'll have to think twice about purchasing my car in certain areas next time...not just my "local" spot

As for a general update-- I spoke to Managers at two other local dealerships and both suggested they would help make things right regardless and they would consider swapping my car out completely. I hope my dealership has the same customer service.. I just want my nightmare to be heard and acknowledged. I'm tired of them turning a blind eye
Old 01-11-15, 10:45 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...
Lexus dealers are not that good in many locations even in my country. This is my story :
I paid the whole MSRP for the car and they said that I will receive a car in 2 weeks , the two weeks became two months. Then after receiving the car they told me the nav will not work until they give me the micro sd after 2 weeks. Anyway after 1 month and two weeks I filed a complaint against the dealer and they provided the micro sd after one week . Currently I'm sueing the dealer for commercial fraud because one feature they publicly announced is missing from my car, so they contacted me to make settlement.
Old 01-11-15, 11:44 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Originally Posted by AMNss
Well...
Lexus dealers are not that good in many locations even in my country. This is my story :
I paid the whole MSRP for the car and they said that I will receive a car in 2 weeks , the two weeks became two months. Then after receiving the car they told me the nav will not work until they give me the micro sd after 2 weeks. Anyway after 1 month and two weeks I filed a complaint against the dealer and they provided the micro sd after one week . Currently I'm sueing the dealer for commercial fraud because one feature they publicly announced is missing from my car, so they contacted me to make settlement.
Way to stick it to them
Old 01-11-15, 11:49 PM
AndrewP930
Rookie

Originally Posted by dsnuts
Nope-- not Lexus of Cerritos (ouch on some of the yelp reviews) Andrew that doesn't sound right at all :/ did they address the issues regarding your patched tire? IMO the car should come stock and untouched/dammaged when purchased brand new--not sure if you bought used or cpo. Have you tried another dealership?

As for a general update-- I spoke to Managers at two other local dealerships and both suggested they would help make things right regardless and they would consider swapping my car out completely. I hope my dealership has the same customer service.. I just want my nightmare to be heard and acknowledged. I'm tired of them turning a blind eye
I bought the car brand new. It's been fairly recent since I found out about the patched tire. Going to bring it up on my next checkup. The only reason why I keep going is because I need the loaner car when I take in my car. I don't think you can get a free loaner unless it's where you bought your car (at least that's how it was with bmw).

Hope you can get everything settled soon.
Old 01-12-15, 02:12 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow OP, I'm sorry to hear about your exp. If I were you, I definitely would NOT go the repaint route. You may want to see if the other dealers can help you. You mentioned the others are more willing. Lexus is Lexus so any dealership should be able to assist. When I have issues at one dealer, or don't like their answers, I have no problem taking my car to the next. Thankfully being in CA there are several within a few miles of each other so second opinions abound. Lastly, I would not give up until you are completely satisfied. Even if that means they have to swap out your car. You held up your end of the deal by paying for the car, now they need to hold up their end and deliver a car that meets your expectations. NO ifs, ands, or buts.