IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does Road and Track regret choosing Lexus IS 350 over BMW 3-Series after 8500 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 12:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

great review of the 3IS in the prolonged test
Old 01-09-15, 03:09 PM
Endaar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't get the gripes with the nav / entertainment system. Yes, it could be faster, but I don't see it being noticeably slower than the systems in the '11 TSX I came out of or the '12 Audi Q5 my wife drives.
Old 01-09-15, 04:03 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see mods participating in the 3IS forum. One of the things that I think makes Acurazine a special place is that the mods participate in threads all of the time and many even own the car the forum is dedicated to i.e. TLX, RLX, etc. Even if not, they are Acura fans.
Old 01-09-15, 04:41 PM
Lxi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glashub
The gimmicky gauge is the holy grail! Since the late 70's car manufacturers have tried to find a way to put all relevant information re" speed and rpm in front of the driver for the purpose of eliminating eye flicks and time away from watching the road. Alpha put the tach right in front of the driver and the speedo by the center of the dash. Lexus found a way for drivers to check rpm and speed with one flick of the eye. Bravo. When driving hard that nano-second can make a world of difference. I don't ever want to go back to a dual gauge tach/speedo system.
No surprise, they probably struggle with understanding the success Apple has with all its product design simplification. Starting with the single wheel first generation iPod.
Old 01-09-15, 04:54 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

lol Just to be clear I meant Alfa-Romeo.
Old 01-09-15, 06:25 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

This is wonderful news!! The current iteration of the 3series just looks so garden variety and run of the mill. Uninspired and less aggressive!
Old 01-09-15, 08:52 PM
sinuspain
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Wonder what the guys at f30post/bimmerfest are saying about this...
haha I am one of those guys...
Old 01-10-15, 05:59 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sinuspain
haha I am one of those guys...
LOL. E90 driver here. The last great 3 series chassis

I still haven't driven a 3rd gen IS. I will this weekend for sure.
Old 01-10-15, 10:03 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'm one of them too!
Old 01-12-15, 01:30 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
The gimmicky gauge is the holy grail! Since the late 70's car manufacturers have tried to find a way to put all relevant information re" speed and rpm in front of the driver for the purpose of eliminating eye flicks and time away from watching the road. Alpha put the tach right in front of the driver and the speedo by the center of the dash. Lexus found a way for drivers to check rpm and speed with one flick of the eye. Bravo. When driving hard that nano-second can make a world of difference. I don't ever want to go back to a dual gauge tach/speedo system.
Ehh. I'm indifferent about the F-Sport tach. I missing have two separate tachs for speed/rpm. I do agree with ease of information access tho. I never thought about it but it does make it much easier to focus on both speed and rpm at the same time vs one or the other w/ the standard tachs.
Old 01-12-15, 01:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

speed doesnt need an analog gauge, just show me a number. Engine RPM needs one though to show much how close to redline you are. The analog speedo in the RCF is pretty useless as its really small and theres already a digital readout for speed. Gauges are good to show 0-100% of something but how useful is 50% speed? Especially when the speedo has some unrealistic numbers on it like 200 mph when the car doesnt get near that.
Old 01-12-15, 02:33 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Here's an example from a 1975 Alfetta. Not the best pic but it gives you an idea. The tach is most important but easy access to speed and other info is important in a daily driver. That's the tach behind the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails Does Road and Track regret choosing Lexus IS 350 over BMW 3-Series after 8500 miles?-untitled.png  
Old 01-13-15, 12:22 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

For those that have gripes with the infotainment system being laggy, have you tried turning off Animation?

It's the animation setting that projects a laggy transition when scrolling or entering/leaving menus. It kind of reacts as if the car is just turned on in freezing cold temperatures. But if you turn off the animation, it's quick, direct, with zero transition times between screens.
Old 01-13-15, 01:06 PM
aks2014
Driver School Candidate

i dont really get the gripes about the gauges myself... i come from a 09 honda civic (regrettably), which has a central tach with a digital speedo on top, to is350 f sport, and I'm just used to the central tach positioning and a digital speedo. In fact, whenever I drive friends' or family's cars with analog speedo, it takes me a second to read the speedo.
Old 01-13-15, 05:50 PM
Loe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by byro
For those that have gripes with the infotainment system being laggy, have you tried turning off Animation?

It's the animation setting that projects a laggy transition when scrolling or entering/leaving menus. It kind of reacts as if the car is just turned on in freezing cold temperatures. But if you turn off the animation, it's quick, direct, with zero transition times between screens.
Can you elaborate how to do this? I don't recall reading it in the owners manual (I'm sure I just missed it).

Quick Reply: Does Road and Track regret choosing Lexus IS 350 over BMW 3-Series after 8500 miles?