Keeping your IS clean during the Winter / No car washes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 10:07 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Keeping your IS clean during the Winter / No car washes

Hello CL community,

As a car enthusiast and detailer I love to have my cars in good shape throughout the year. When the winter comes, I definitely shut down the water hose and enter into winter mode This is when I'm in need of a professional detailer who can take care of my investment in the cold temperatures. I took my IS to a local professional detailer yesterday. These guys were awesome. They hand-wash your car in an indoor heated garage by using synthetic wool mitts. Then, they blower-dry it and finish off with microfiber towels (not the regular ones you get at AutoZone). Because I would never take my car to a cheap car wash (there are plenty in my neighborhood), I don't mind a 20 min drive to this professional shop. Below are a couple of pictures I took when car was delivered.
Attached Thumbnails Keeping your IS clean during the Winter / No car washes-lexi-1.jpg   Keeping your IS clean during the Winter / No car washes-lexi-2.jpg  
Old 01-06-15, 10:11 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

For all CL members who are in New England or where it's cold right now:

My suggestion for washing your IS:
1. Go to a hand car wash.
2. Make sure they use clean microfiber towels (better if they're synthetic, softer, high quality, etc.)
3. Ask if they dry the car with a blower or microfiber towels
4. Make sure they don't use any detergents in their soaps that could potentially damage your paint, clearcoat, wheels, etc.
5. Pay the price and be happy
Old 01-06-15, 11:00 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I get a day where its at least around 40 degrees, I still wash it myself outside. Dress up and wear some rubber gloves to keep hands dry and its not bad to do. What did they charge to wash your car if I may ask. Thanks

Originally Posted by lexi90
Hello CL community,

As a car enthusiast and detailer I love to have my cars in good shape throughout the year. When the winter comes, I definitely shut down the water hose and enter into winter mode This is when I'm in need of a professional detailer who can take care of my investment in the cold temperatures. I took my IS to a local professional detailer yesterday. These guys were awesome. They hand-wash your car in an indoor heated garage by using synthetic wool mitts. Then, they blower-dry it and finish off with microfiber towels (not the regular ones you get at AutoZone). Because I would never take my car to a cheap car wash (there are plenty in my neighborhood), I don't mind a 20 min drive to this professional shop. Below are a couple of pictures I took when car was delivered.
Old 01-06-15, 11:17 AM
rgonza1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily here in Phoenix, AZ I can wash my car year round. I don't know how people manage in the colder climates.

BTW, your car looks great!
Old 01-06-15, 12:01 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a full time detailer but i am a detailing fanatic and take lots of care and consideration when cleaning my car. just because you take your car to a hand car washing place doesn't mean jack. if i am lazy, i would go to a brushless car wash (e.g., soap and high pressure water, no brush contact) rather than go to some hand wash place. do you really think they do a two bucket wash method? do you think all the deposits and debris collected on the wash mitt from the previous car is washed off before used on yours? do you think they use clean water on your vehicle (its recycled water, so there will be some small contaminants).

do yourself a favor and use one or a combination of the following during winter mode, or year round:
1) rinse off as much gunk as possible using a brushless car wash facility.
2) if you have a garage then even better, use chemical guys' eco wash (hose free washing solution) and the two bucket wash method.
3) again garage is awesome, and if you're too lazy to do #2, use chemical guys' eco smart (spray and wipe cleaning solution). note that there is some carnuba or similar form of wax in eco smart so there is a slight haze and you'll need to buff a little after. if you want to skip the buffing, use optimum no rinse or ultima waterless wash+, great products!
Old 01-06-15, 01:05 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF

do yourself a favor and use one or a combination of the following during winter mode, or year round:
1) rinse off as much gunk as possible using a brushless car wash facility.
2) if you have a garage then even better, use chemical guys' eco wash (hose free washing solution) and the two bucket wash method.
3) again garage is awesome, and if you're too lazy to do #2, use chemical guys' eco smart (spray and wipe cleaning solution). note that there is some carnuba or similar form of wax in eco smart so there is a slight haze and you'll need to buff a little after. if you want to skip the buffing, use optimum no rinse or ultima waterless wash+, great products!
^^^ This is what I did yesterday. I just don't trust strangers with the task.
Old 01-06-15, 06:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just spray it down at a DIY and get it detailed once in a while.
Old 01-06-15, 06:15 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I just go outside and wash my car like I did today. It was 85 degrees outside today!
Old 01-06-15, 06:20 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by toyotatom
If I get a day where its at least around 40 degrees, I still wash it myself outside. Dress up and wear some rubber gloves to keep hands dry and its not bad to do. What did they charge to wash your car if I may ask. Thanks
I do exactly the same but at this time of the year in my neck of the woods we can go 30-40 days where the temperature remains below 40. Sadly, this means my car just doesn't get washed. It's better to leave it dirty - even with salt on it - than to run it through a car wash and I don't trust ANYONE else to wash it - not even hand washing. This is the same way I've dealt with all my other cars during winter and they faired just fine. When the temperature does warm up enough for a wash it takes more time/effort to get all of the salt off. In this case it usually takes me 2 hours to wash it (not including drying) but it's okay. In a perfect world they wouldn't put down brine and salt on the roads but instead just plow what they could and let the rest melt naturally then there would be no issues. Unfortunately that's not reality.
Old 01-06-15, 06:52 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also wait for temperatures to get over 0C (32F) and wash it using ONR after spraying it at the coin-op car wash (I don't have a garage, just a shed, so I have to wait for warmer temperatures).
Old 01-06-15, 07:52 PM
Akrkwk
Rookie

My is hasnt been washed once since i got it a month and half ago, covered witb dust and stain from rained on
In the end, i dont really care to look nice in it
Old 01-07-15, 12:23 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

i am a bit of a detail freak too. love keeping my car clean, hate when its dirty, just got some snow here in Nyc and watching my car sit there with all that salt on it is killing me lol. can't even take it to a hand wash place because its gonna be stuck in the teens here for the next few days nothings open =/ time to move to florida or cali LOL
Old 01-07-15, 05:06 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We go for stretches of cold temps also, right now it won't get above freezing for who knows how long. Just have to wait it out. Im pretty picky about washing it and won't bring it too a car wash or let Lexus wash it either when I go in for service. They are using the "green" salt on our roads now, not sure if that is any better for cars though.

Originally Posted by IS1911
I do exactly the same but at this time of the year in my neck of the woods we can go 30-40 days where the temperature remains below 40. Sadly, this means my car just doesn't get washed. It's better to leave it dirty - even with salt on it - than to run it through a car wash and I don't trust ANYONE else to wash it - not even hand washing. This is the same way I've dealt with all my other cars during winter and they faired just fine. When the temperature does warm up enough for a wash it takes more time/effort to get all of the salt off. In this case it usually takes me 2 hours to wash it (not including drying) but it's okay. In a perfect world they wouldn't put down brine and salt on the roads but instead just plow what they could and let the rest melt naturally then there would be no issues. Unfortunately that's not reality.
Old 01-07-15, 03:16 PM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take mine to the do it yourself carwash minimum once a week in the winter. When it warms up and the crap starts to melt it can easily be 3 times.
They use mag chloride mixed with sand up here, there is no way I'm letting it sit on the car for more than a few days.
Old 01-08-15, 09:39 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dagobert
I take mine to the do it yourself carwash minimum once a week in the winter. When it warms up and the crap starts to melt it can easily be 3 times.
They use mag chloride mixed with sand up here, there is no way I'm letting it sit on the car for more than a few days.
Are you referring to those indoor heated coin-op car washes in Alberta? In Greater Toronto Area, such indoor do it yourself car washes are very hard to find. Probably less than 5.

Quick Reply: Keeping your IS clean during the Winter / No car washes