IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is350 check engine light 13k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 01:02 PM
EdEWdGo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 check engine light 13k miles

So I've got 13,375 miles on my car and I was at an intersection and when I put the car into sport mode the check engine light came on and now it won't go off. My car isn't displaying any other messages or lights and the gas cap was definitely on all the way. Im in the San Diego area for the holiday and unfortunately local Lexus dealership is closed for New Years and I'm kind of hesitant to drive back to LA without getting it checked out. Any ideas what could trip it so early in the life cycle, had the last scheduled maintenance 3 months ago too???
Old 01-01-15, 01:56 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely you're fine, drive it back to LA and get it checked out later this week. The only time you shouldn't drive it is if the red engine oil light comes on. Could be something as small as a mis-fire or bad sensor.
Old 01-01-15, 03:40 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
The only time you shouldn't drive it is if the red engine oil light comes on.
wow....this may possibly be the worst advice ever given...

OP, stop somewhere and see what code comes up. Then proceed to drive if possible.
Old 01-01-15, 06:18 PM
jbkhat303
Rookie

Swing by a schucks, checkers, oreillys, or autozone and have them read the code with an obd2 scanner.

Also, check and see if your gas cap is on tight. That's one of the most prevalent causes of cel on a new car.
If it is loose, tighten it up and drive around a while. You're light should turn off.
Old 01-01-15, 10:44 PM
EdEWdGo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the advice, courtesy of today's hangover figured may as well just watch some football in town and wait it out until tomorrow. Gas cap is and was 100% on tight, so I'll just hit the dealership tomorrow morning and hopefully all will be fine but will update with the issue then.
Old 01-02-15, 10:57 AM
EdEWdGo
Driver School Candidate

Default And the verdict is in

Oxygen sensor went bad... Such a ticky tack issue but it's starting to get annoying how this is the second issue I've had with this car. Previously they kept it for a week because the stitching in the middle of the front passenger seat started coming up and they had to replace the seat bottom. Gotta say Lexus Carlsbad's service dept and sales team have both been amazing, and the two issues are totally unrelated but it's not having to deal with stupid stuff like this that steered me away from a 4 series. Sure hope this is the last time something comes up.
Old 01-02-15, 11:05 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EdEWdGo
Oxygen sensor went bad... Such a ticky tack issue but it's starting to get annoying how this is the second issue I've had with this car. Previously they kept it for a week because the stitching in the middle of the front passenger seat started coming up and they had to replace the seat bottom. Gotta say Lexus Carlsbad's service dept and sales team have both been amazing, and the two issues are totally unrelated but it's not having to deal with stupid stuff like this that steered me away from a 4 series. Sure hope this is the last time something comes up.
O2 sensors go bad. Just a nature of manufacturing. You received a dud.

As for the seat switching taking a week? That is your dealer's fault. You should have been allowed to keep your car until the new seat arrived. Thats a 1-2 hr job to replace that. Don't blame Lexus for your dealership's short comings.
Old 01-02-15, 11:13 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oxygen sensor went bad...
Glad you got it figured out.

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
Most likely you're fine, drive it back to LA and get it checked out later this week. The only time you shouldn't drive it is if the red engine oil light comes on. Could be something as small as a mis-fire or bad sensor.
Originally Posted by Swacer
wow....this may possibly be the worst advice ever given...
Thanks for your input kid, pretty sure I nailed it.

Unless that red light is on, or the check engine is flashing, nothing catastrophic is going to happen.
Old 01-02-15, 06:56 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey lexus carlsbad is awesome. Thats where i take both my cars for service. Everyone is so nice and they make you feel comfortable. Glad you tried them out
Old 01-02-15, 08:06 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Such a ticky tack issue but it's starting to get annoying how this is the second issue I've had with this car.
Dang you sound like a DIVA My GS has had 6 issues and 2 are probably never going to be duplicated by the dealer. Oh and I'm only at 6k miles and the closest dealer is 4 hours to me. Now that's a problem

Last edited by sick21; 01-02-15 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 08:13 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sick21
Dang you sound like a DIVA My GS has had 6 issues and 2 are probably never going to be duplicated by the dealer. Oh and I'm only at 6k miles.
A friend of mine leased a 14 GS 350 out of the blue she started hearing this strange noise from the vents. She took it into the dealer and they tried doing a bunch of stuff to it. They were never able to fix it. They tried changing servo motors and all kinds of things noise wouldnt go away. They said that lexus had reported one other GS doing the same thing and the other place couldnt figure it out either so they pulled her out of it and got her in to a new one. She had it for a few months and they gave her all the money she had paid towards the new one.
Old 01-06-15, 06:16 PM
EdEWdGo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Swacer
O2 sensors go bad. Just a nature of manufacturing. You received a dud.

As for the seat switching taking a week? That is your dealer's fault. You should have been allowed to keep your car until the new seat arrived. Thats a 1-2 hr job to replace that. Don't blame Lexus for your dealership's short comings.
I don't blame the dealer at all, they gave me a RX for a week while they had my car. If it wasn't for how great the service and sales team at Lexus of Carlsbad have been during this whole ownership experience I wouldn't hesitate to look at other vehicle manufacturers cars... Particularly while I love how my IS drives, an SUV is 100% more suited to my lifestyle and I look at the Macan and Cayenne with envy, but now because of Lexus' service would consider an NX if I were to swap out my car, just not sure it's sporty enough.
Old 01-06-15, 06:33 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

I don't blame the dealer at all, they gave me a RX for a week while they had my car. If it wasn't for how great the service and sales team at Lexus of Carlsbad have been during this whole ownership experience I wouldn't hesitate to look at other vehicle manufacturers cars... Particularly while I love how my IS drives, an SUV is 100% more suited to my lifestyle and I look at the Macan and Cayenne with envy, but now because of Lexus' service would consider an NX if I were to swap out my car, just not sure it's sporty enough.
Thumbs up to lexus carlsbad. I just had my wifes RX worked on there. They were great. Provided free loaner washed vehicle. Treated us well.
Old 01-09-15, 02:14 PM
Endaar
Driver School Candidate

Oxygen sensor went bad
OK, now I'm annoyed. My IS350 F-Sport has been in the shop since 12/26 with a failed O2 sensor, and I've been told the part is on backorder nationally.

Guess it's time to make some phone calls...Glad you got yours fixed quickly.
Old 01-09-15, 02:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont get how an O2 sensor can be on backorder nationally, its shared between so many models and pretty standard

Quick Reply: Is350 check engine light 13k miles