IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Traction Control off (really off)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 08:55 AM
nabizzy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
So if you're in gear and hit redline, it'll just keep bouncing off and will never upshift? Can you please provide a video of some sort showing that in your car? And don't be sorry to inform me, I'd be only happy if this were a fact. I'm all for it, not against it. But my car, as well as most of the others, does upshift no matter what.
mine also does not upshift when it total trac off mode and in manual

i will try to record a video for you when the rain clears up
Old 12-19-14, 10:02 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Would be great to see. Mine upshifts the second it hits redline, every time. I don't mind, but would be interesting to see how it just bounces off the limiter till you shift manually. What is your disabling procedure? Just to be sure.
Old 12-19-14, 10:49 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be great to see. Mine upshifts the second it hits redline, every time. I don't mind, but would be interesting to see how it just bounces off the limiter till you shift manually. What is your disabling procedure? Just to be sure.
As long as I'm on a complete stop, on park or full step on the brake, I then press and hold onto the Traction Off button until I see the orange light on my dash.
Old 12-19-14, 11:31 AM
itsjdmyo
Rookie

It's fairly simple...I've done this many times - hold the TRAC OFF button for several seconds until the orange light apears on the cluster. that means traction is completely disabled and i'll bounce off the reve limiter in manual mode until i shift it myself.
Old 12-19-14, 12:39 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is just like yours.

It seems to be about 50/50 chance of whether or not your transmission programming allows this. I have an IS350 and it will upshift no matter what I do.

There are others with my model of car and theirs apparently will bounce on the limiter.

I suspect there was a transmission software revision somewhere in the cycle.

Mike
Old 12-19-14, 01:58 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

That would make sense! I do the same procedure, i get the orange light, and it'll never hold a gear at redline.
Old 12-19-14, 02:10 PM
sumohax0r
Rookie

Talking

Read this thread a few hours ago, went to get lunch and tested the Press and Hold method while the car was in PARK. Never attempted this before, always press and hold while in drive while stopped.

Can confirm glorious burnout rev limit banging (first and second gear) like I was in a fast and the furious movie.

RIP Stock tires (You suck anyway).
Old 12-19-14, 11:31 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Did not work for me... Like stated previously, must be just different transmission programming.
Old 12-20-14, 04:50 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Mine is just like yours.

It seems to be about 50/50 chance of whether or not your transmission programming allows this. I have an IS350 and it will upshift no matter what I do.

There are others with my model of car and theirs apparently will bounce on the limiter.

I suspect there was a transmission software revision somewhere in the cycle.

Mike
Don't you think you should state which tranny you have, when you relate your experience?
Old 12-21-14, 07:33 AM
mpv7989
Driver School Candidate

Mine doesn't work in either park or with foot on brake. It auto up shifts regardless. Very upsetting. They shouldn't even have added paddle shifters or the option to manually shift it you're not even able to use it..
Old 12-21-14, 08:35 PM
Fsport14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine works just fine. it doesn't upshift until I use the paddle.
Old 12-22-14, 04:42 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
Don't you think you should state which tranny you have, when you relate your experience?
I have the 8 speed. There have been post after post about this. I remember posting about it almost a year ago. It makes no difference if it is IS250 or IS350 or AWD or RWD or 8 speed or 6 speed. Some people can bounce of the limiter and some people can't. It has to be programming of the TCM.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...0-at-pbir.html

Mike
Old 12-29-14, 02:03 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, my car will auto upshift no matter what. Most of the time it doesn't even make it to redline.

i've brought this up in this forum over the past year and it really is a mixed bag. Some folks can hit their rev limiter, some cannot.

I brought this up to the dealer at my last service and told them I wanted it changed and they swore there was nothing they could do and that I had to just live with it. I'm certain a firmware modification would change this behavior, but whether it's older or newer firmware that disables auto-shift, I have no idea. Either way it is my one real gripe about this car.
Old 12-30-14, 05:56 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JGard18
yeah, my car will auto upshift no matter what. Most of the time it doesn't even make it to redline.

i've brought this up in this forum over the past year and it really is a mixed bag. Some folks can hit their rev limiter, some cannot.
I tried this on my (8-speed, non F) car today. I first put it in park, applied the brake, and held the button until the light came on. I then shifted into manual mode.

When the light turned green, I accelerated at a normal rate, shifted into second, and continued to accelerate, waiting to see what happened. It hit the rev limiter and did not upshift.

I don't know if matters when the car was made, but mine is one of the last of the 2014's made, ordered in April and delivered in August.
Old 05-01-15, 03:19 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

#1 Start your car
#2 Press the traction control button for a few second until the orange light apears on the cluster.
#3 Shift it from P to manual mode, NOT D.
#4 Test Drive

Make sure you don't miss any of these step.
I think putting it into manual mode is one of the key point to let the ECU know you want it to shift it yourself. LOL

Quick Reply: Traction Control off (really off)