IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Performance chip

Old 12-09-14, 12:43 PM
ovrdriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chip

Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen one word about Performance Chips. Are there any PC's for the IS 350 F Sport? I would love to gain more HP and Torque, not to mention better gas millage.
Old 12-09-14, 01:05 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think any exists because Lexus has that ECU locked down
Old 12-09-14, 01:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

See this thread, as well as the threads linked in it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ecu-flash.html
Old 12-09-14, 02:37 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe its just me but I think the IS350 has plenty of HP. Why would you need more unless you're in Nascar.
Old 12-09-14, 02:46 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PAPI007
Maybe its just me but I think the IS350 has plenty of HP. Why would you need more unless you're in Nascar.
There is awesome hp and torque after 4800RPM but until that the car feels weak. The problem with revving all the time to get to that powerband is that it doesn't look right from outside. The car becomes loud and it attracts too much attention. That is a problem. Otherwise I wont complain at all about the power it makes at high rev range.
Old 12-10-14, 09:16 AM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salvadorik
There is awesome hp and torque after 4800RPM but until that the car feels weak. The problem with revving all the time to get to that powerband is that it doesn't look right from outside. The car becomes loud and it attracts too much attention. That is a problem. Otherwise I wont complain at all about the power it makes at high rev range.
I really hate to say it, but you bought the wrong car. It sounds like what you really want are American V8 muscle cars. If you're not into American, there is a huge selection from AMG or the IS F. They have the characteristics you described.
Old 12-10-14, 09:19 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrdriv
Maybe I've missed it but I haven't seen one word about Performance Chips. Are there any PC's for the IS 350 F Sport? I would love to gain more HP and Torque, not to mention better gas millage.
One thing to keep in mind about your wants:

more hp + torque should never equal better gas mileage.

If they are able to do that, it means that they are changing your fuel tables to run more lean. By doing this, you are shortening engine life and raising engine temps.

The only time that you want to lean out your fuel tables is during WOT. Otherwise, you want your engine to run rich. A rich engine is a cool engine. A cool engine is a happy engine. A happy engine...is a long lasting engine.

Gotta be careful with "performance" upgrades like that.
Old 12-10-14, 09:20 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PAPI007
Please tell me you're kidding....
Old 12-10-14, 09:27 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cFoo
I really hate to say it, but you bought the wrong car. It sounds like what you really want are American V8 muscle cars. If you're not into American, there is a huge selection from AMG or the IS F. They have the characteristics you described.
+1 If you want torque on demand, you need a large displacement V8.

Keep in mind, Japanese cars are notoriously high revving engines. Which means you need to be willing to run the car between 5500-6500 RPM to get the true power that the car has.

The IS-F, while it states that it has 416hp, is all high revving also. You take a IS-F for a test drive, and then take a Camaro (for example, since its 426hp), you will notice the Camaro "has more power" because you're spending more time in its power curve. But if someone would let you take an IS-F and really beat on it, you would notice the power is almost equal at high RPMs. Just depends how you drive.

Just the nature of the way the engines are built. The power is there, you just have to hit the power curve in the right place.
Old 12-10-14, 10:01 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
The only time that you want to lean out your fuel tables is during WOT. Otherwise, you want your engine to run rich. A rich engine is a cool engine. A cool engine is a happy engine. A happy engine...is a long lasting engine.

Gotta be careful with "performance" upgrades like that.
You don't want to run lean at WOT.

For a N/A car usually you want to see about 12.5:1 Definitely not anything lean (greater than 14.7:1)

For turbo cars you want even richer (11.5:1 or so).

Mike
Old 12-10-14, 10:06 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
You don't want to run lean at WOT.

For a N/A car usually you want to see about 12.5:1 Definitely not anything lean (greater than 14.7:1)

For turbo cars you want even richer (11.5:1 or so).

Mike
You want to lean out the fuel table from stock in order to improve throttle response and to avoid potential overshoot/undershoot from the MAF during a wide open pull. Your stock under/over shoots can be +30% at times. You want that leaned out so that so you're not overshoot demand by anymore than 1-2%. THAT IS what I mean by leaning it out.
Old 12-10-14, 10:30 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is the low end torque/grunt usually seen on forced induction vehicles. It does not have to be V8 in order to get that characteristic. Look what Germans do now, 3.0 L turbo or supercharged six cylinder engines. You get plenty of torque at your disposal starting at 1.5K RPM and these cars do a great job keeping you at sweet spot by properly programming the tranny. American V8s and ISFs (including the new RCF) also have high revving engines and in order for you enjoy the car you have got keep the car at high rev range. Look what M4 does, it has a great 3L inline 6 engine with torque curve very broad (max torque 1.5K - 5.5K). Or there is another example, look at 2L 4 cylinder engines on Audi S3 and Mercedes CLA 45 AMG. These engines simply laugh at 2GR-FSE, as they are a lot more potent and consume considerably less gas (win win). In a real world, where most of us will be driving, FI engines are the most enjoyable ones. I hope now it makes more sense.

Last edited by salvadorik; 12-10-14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 10:32 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Swacer
+1 If you want torque on demand, you need a large displacement V8..
See my response above to cFoo
Old 12-10-14, 10:35 AM
LMPparts
Driver School Candidate

No matter what you drive, if you are a car guy or gal, you are going to want more power. Especially more than factory. No matter how much it has stock. It's part of our DNA. Too bad Lexus does not make chipping vehicles a little easier to get at least a little more power.
Old 12-11-14, 12:50 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are just being ignorant.
The IS350 being the slowest car of its league I don't think its wrong to ask for more power.
People modify their 458, Aventador, 911 Turbo, GTR etc then what should they buy instead?

I don't know if you have experienced before but when you know you can over take an opponent but it's just the power can't keep up that cause the losing?
I tried that before and it didn't feel good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance chip