IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Electrical issue with car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 04:48 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issue with car

This morning on the way to drop my son off at daycare I was having issues with some of the electrical in the car.

The Menu Button
The Power **** to the radio would change the volume but not turn off the Radio
The Volume button for the radio on the steering wheel
The Phone / Voice control on the steering wheel.

I dropped him off and got back in the car and started it up, Everything started working fine again.

Has anyone had this issue before or is having issues with their car?

Thanks Guys. Frustrating on a one year one car.
Old 12-08-14, 05:25 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextacy03
This morning on the way to drop my son off at daycare I was having issues with some of the electrical in the car.

The Menu Button

I dropped him off and got back in the car and started it up, Everything started working fine again.

Did your car sit outside in the cold last night?
Old 12-08-14, 08:31 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The Menu Button

Not quite the same but the other day, I did have my radio channel, volume, and navi screen stuck. I think it was because of a combination of three things that I did very quickly in sequential order (all right after a cold start): going from backup camera, hitting the home button (or the mouse, don't remember) to get through the warning/splash screen, then going in drive too fast. At the stop light, I put the car in reverse to activate the backup camera, the navi system rebooted and all was well again.
Old 12-08-14, 10:23 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

My car was backed in to my garage. So no outside weather and no back up camera used. I have a feeling this car will be sold within 5 years due to electrical problems.
Old 12-08-14, 11:04 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

My car was backed in to my garage. So no outside weather and no back up camera used. I have a feeling this car will be sold within 5 years due to electrical problems.
I think you're overreacting and need to calm down.

You have a warranty. If something goes bad, you use it.
Old 12-08-14, 11:12 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

I think the title is about misleading. What you experienced is the bugs with the infotainment system which links almost everything you use (radio, navi, backup camera,etc).

But in any case, these problems really suck. The infotainment system in 3IS is the weakest link
Old 12-08-14, 11:52 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Menu Button

I had this issue once, I just turned my car off for a few minutes and turned it back on. It was fine. this was a few months ago. haven't had issue since then. I noted it when I had my car serviced last week and the tech just updated the system.

its just a glitch, nothing serious. just bring it in and have a tech install an update and it'll be fine.
Old 12-08-14, 12:05 PM
Lextacy03
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swacer
I think you're overreacting and need to calm down.

Why can't I be pissed ? You would too if it happened to you.
Old 12-08-14, 12:06 PM
Lextacy03
Rookie

Originally Posted by AndyL
I think the title is about misleading. What you experienced is the bugs with the infotainment system which links almost everything you use (radio, navi, backup camera,etc).

But in any case, these problems really suck. The infotainment system in 3IS is the weakest link
How is the title misleading ? Is it or is it not a electrical issue ? Should I changed it to electronics' issue?
Old 12-08-14, 12:24 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

How is the title misleading ? Is it or is it not a electrical issue ? Should I changed it to electronics' issue?
No offence. I think the issues you have experienced are more related to software and firmware. --- bugs in the infotainment. I guess it is a matter of different terminology. When I saw "electrical issues", I thought it is something to do with hardware.

Last edited by AndyL; 12-08-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 12:35 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

This is common with todays cars.

In the last 1.5 years I've had a 2013 C Class, 2014 Grand Cherokee, 2014 Altima with their individual version of an "infotainment" system. Each of them have had software issues/bugs.

I don't think with the amount of technology being shoved into cars now-a-days (Sat nav, Sat radio, Blu Tooth, Voice recognition, iPod/Android Compatibility, cameras, etc) it's possible to have one that is 100% bug free. Hell I've been using computers and tablets since the 90s and they're still giving me random issues.

It's possible the only way to have a car without any of these issues is to simply stay away from non-analog cars. My work car is a 2014 Chevy Malibu. It's a bare bones government contract fleet vehicle. I have absolutely no problems with any of the car's functions...and it's certainly not because the Malibu is a better car.

Over the last couple of years I have just learned to accept that cars will have these kind of issues...even expensive cars.

Seems like good advice, except the dealership will never be able to replicate the issue. At most you can expect a software update which most likely won't correct the issue.

Last edited by kamauxx; 12-08-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-08-14, 01:04 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Its a software issue. Electric issue is when the physical wires in the system go haywire.

To the OP: I recommend just relaxing if this is your first time. If it is a recurring issue, then definitely have a right to be mad. I'm not saying you don't right now, but you will be much better off letting it go than to have such short temperament with the issue. As bad as it sounds, this comes with the territory when dealing with technology. Have you ever had problems with your phone, laptop, desktop, or television? All tech is going to have inherent problems
Old 12-08-14, 04:53 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Why can't I be pissed ? You would too if it happened to you.
It's not that you're wrong to be pissed, but crying on a forum that your car is melting and is A piece of junk that you're gonna dump in 5 yrs is a little excessive (tho, I'll take it in 5 yrs, low ball you, and use it as my DD since it's so terrible....)

You purchased a refresh model year car. There are bound to be issues. They offer warranties for things like that.

So deep breath...
Old 12-09-14, 05:27 AM
Lextacy03
Rookie

It's not that you're wrong to be pissed, but crying on a forum that your car is melting and is A piece of junk that you're gonna dump in 5 yrs is a little excessive (tho, I'll take it in 5 yrs, low ball you, and use it as my DD since it's so terrible....)

You purchased a refresh model year car. There are bound to be issues. They offer warranties for things like that.

So deep breath...
Never said the car was melting or a POS but I do usually get rid of cars in 5 to 7 years anyways.
Love how I ask a Question if this has happened to anyone else and 50 % of comments are negative which in returns gets negative responses.