IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Michelin Pilot Sport AS3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 02:04 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
Uh you're in the desert, so no credence for rain / snow.

Post above yours indicates probably.

Yes; I posted this in another forum.
I'm familiar with the Extreme Contact DWS - compared to the Bridgestone RE970 or the Goodyear Eagle GT with stiff sidewalls, the DWS rode a lot smoother with lightened steering effort and had better snow / ice traction in exchange for a slight loss in razor sharp steering response while retaining very decent cornering grip, echoing Tire Rack surveys as a time tested performer. Less rubust sidewalls, just avoid curbs.

I'd recommend it or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 depending on one's dry vs. snow priorities, I'll give up some dry for better snow / wet performance where it really can make a difference. Winter tires are not an option for me and DC hasn't quite needed it lately. If you're wet only then the A/S 3.

Gary
Hmm I'm confused, I saw a guy with a 370z on tire rack claiming the DWS were terrible in the snow. That was part of what steered me towards the Michies in addition to other comments and Consumer Reports reviews.

I'll have to go back and take another look.
Old 11-20-14, 02:05 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShayIS350
The tires handle extremely well in the twisties although I don't push too much because I have a 2yr old in the back most of the time. We had an ice storm here last week and it handled beautifully.
Good to hear. I hope I get to test them out before the weather starts to get bad here.
Old 11-20-14, 02:45 PM
4WDrift
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj
Hmm I'm confused, I saw a guy with a 370z on tire rack claiming the DWS were terrible in the snow. That was part of what steered me towards the Michies in addition to other comments and Consumer Reports reviews.

I'll have to go back and take another look.
That's one review, compared to the overall survey average. Haven't seen CR tests, but Tire Rack is a pretty good indicator. If he didn't like the Conti in the snow, he really won't like the Michelin. The Hankook would even be a better choice.

Put importance on the snow / wet ratings over dry. Remember, you seldom come close to exceeding a tire's limits in the dry and if you do it's controllable. You could push it over in the wet where it's hairy. You WILL exceed them in snow / ice where it's scary sh1tless. If you expect to be able to get somewhere in Mass, get the Conti or winters.

Gary

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=177
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=165
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=124
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=119

Last edited by 4WDrift; 11-20-14 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 04:54 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4WDrift
That's one review, compared to the overall survey average. Haven't seen CR tests, but Tire Rack is a pretty good indicator. If he didn't like the Conti in the snow, he really won't like the Michelin. The Hankook would even be a better choice.

Put importance on the snow / wet ratings over dry. Remember, you seldom come close to exceeding a tire's limits in the dry and if you do it' s controllable. You could push it over in the wet where it's hairy. You WILL exceed them in snow / ice where it's scary sh1tless. If you expect to be able to get somewhere in Mass, get the Conti or winters.

Gary

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=177
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...r.jsp?ttid=165
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=124
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...t.jsp?ttid=119
Interesting. Well hopefully the Pilots aren't worse than the factory treads. The car performed admirably last winter, but I was never sure how much of it was the AWD, VSC, or the tires haha
Old 11-21-14, 02:45 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

4WDrift is spot on with what he is saying.

If you at all need winter traction, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is not it. I refer to it as an exceptional three season tire.
Old 11-21-14, 05:46 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJ@TireRack.com
4WDrift is spot on with what he is saying.

If you at all need winter traction, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is not it. I refer to it as an exceptional three season tire.
I double checked the reviews on CR to make sure I didn't get them mixed up. They definitely say the Contis performed terrible in the snow.

The tire rack reviews are mixed. Some reviews say the AS3 is great in the snow and some say bad.

Not sure what to expect at this point lol. Worst case scenario I'll just work from home haha
Old 11-22-14, 01:26 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am running on Goodyear f1 asymmetric all season and I am happy with the dry and wet performance.
Very good steering respond but the ride is a little harsh
Supposedly it has the 2nd best snow traction to Conti DWS.
I had DWS before.
Great tread life and snow traction for A/S tires.
Its is very mushy and slow steering respond.
Great tires if you looking for something gets you from point A to B in all weather.
Old 11-22-14, 05:58 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

I double checked the reviews on CR to make sure I didn't get them mixed up. They definitely say the Contis performed terrible in the snow.

The tire rack reviews are mixed. Some reviews say the AS3 is great in the snow and some say bad.

Not sure what to expect at this point lol. Worst case scenario I'll just work from home haha
I've read that too.

Based on feedback on our website, the Pilot Sport A/S3 has less than a million miles reported and suffers in the winter traction category. 41.9 million miles reported of positive results on the Conti DWS is somewhat difficult to argue with.

Last edited by AJ@TireRack.com; 11-22-14 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 04:22 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Just had the AS3's put on this morning. Dramatic handling and braking improvement over the Turanzas. Road noise is about the same maybe a little quieter.

I took the car through some familiar twisties and was defintely impressed.
Old 11-22-14, 06:37 PM
KumaF
Driver

Just had the AS3's put on this morning. Dramatic handling and braking improvement over the Turanzas. Road noise is about the same maybe a little quieter.

It looks like you are liking those Michelin's a lot. Can't wait to change my Turanzas to AS3's after this winter.
Old 11-23-14, 03:21 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

That's great to know! I'm also looking to change to the A/S 3s as I had them on my IS300 and loved them. Do you have the staggered setup from the F-Sport? Trying to have them installed at Costco but apparently the rears are out of stock. Where did you buy yours and have them installed?
Old 11-23-14, 03:51 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
That's great to know! I'm also looking to change to the A/S 3s as I had them on my IS300 and loved them. Do you have the staggered setup from the F-Sport? Trying to have them installed at Costco but apparently the rears are out of stock. Where did you buy yours and have them installed?
Staggered but not an f sport. I got mine through town fair tire. They're a local tire retailer in New England.
Old 02-16-15, 05:38 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

So with all the snow storms we have had here in Boston recently, I had a good chance to try these tires out in the inclement weather. They have performed very well. In my experiences so far I would say they are a definitely improvement over the factory Turanzas.

Unfortunately I hit a terrible pothole a couple of weeks ago and suffered a puncture in the sidewall. I can't really blame the tire as this was a very deep pothole with sharp 90 degree edge on one side. Luckily, the wheel was not damaged or scratched and the tire held enough pressure for me to pull off the highway and into a safe area to put the spare on.

Snow and dry handling aside, the only area I would say these tires are not an improvement over the factory treads is road noise. I don't have any scientific data to prove this, but overall I just think the road noise is about the same. I was hoping for a drastic improvement.
Old 02-16-15, 05:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So with all the snow storms we have had here in Boston recently, I had a good chance to try these tires out in the inclement weather. They have performed very well. In my experiences so far I would say they are a definitely improvement over the factory Turanzas.

Unfortunately I hit a terrible pothole a couple of weeks ago and suffered a puncture in the sidewall. I can't really blame the tire as this was a very deep pothole with sharp 90 degree edge on one side. Luckily, the wheel was not damaged or scratched and the tire held enough pressure for me to pull off the highway and into a safe area to put the spare on.

Snow and dry handling aside, the only area I would say these tires are not an improvement over the factory treads is road noise. I don't have any scientific data to prove this, but overall I just think the road noise is about the same. I was hoping for a drastic improvement.
I was thinking about going with the AS3 but not any more.
The reason I want to dump my oem Duncrap 5100 is because of the road noise and they seem to be getting worse.
Only at 9300 miles.
Looks like I'll stay with my original plan of going with Michelin Primacy MXM4'S.
Thanks for the AS3 road noise tip
Old 02-16-15, 06:29 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Have you looked at trying some Toyo Proxes 4 Plus? I currently have the AS3's on. I've had nitto invo's, continental dws's, toyo proxe 4 plus's, and some bridgestone potenzas. The toyo's are great as are these as3's.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport AS3