IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus vs. Audi: My Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-16, 11:18 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Must be some ratio between tire size and car body.
Yes, it is. I have the Z3 roadster and also tires look larger because the rest of the car is relatively small. I have no problem with wheel size (18") in my IS - it is a sedan and all sedans tend to have similar ratio, actually if you take a very large sedan like Mercedes S550 - the wheels look even smaller.
Old 07-04-16, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone here with a Porsche as well as the Lexus? I'd use the Lexus for road trips and the Porsche for DD to work.
Originally Posted by Olasek
Porsche makes a lot more sense than other German cars. I wouldn't mind having a Porsche and Lexus in my garage.
I have either "almost", "pretty much" or "if not better" depending on how you choose to look at it. My S2000 turns more heads than Porsches just lowered with a lip. I feel I have a great combo right now without breaking the bank.
Old 07-04-16, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

The 2014 is350 does have the looks down , except the rear tires. The tires just look small to me. Porsche 911 looks perfect to me as far as the wheels go. Must be some ratio between tire size and car body. The wheel well plus body just looks very Toyota to me on the is350. It's the one thing that I don't like about my is350.
I feel that German cars have the wheel gap more visually correct from the factory for the premium models. All they need is 1" lowering and 10mm spacers. Our cars need a little more and bigger spacers. I picked up my RSR downs before I even got my car...
Old 07-05-16, 11:53 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well im kinda glad the car didnt come lowered and gives you an option. My wife drives the car too and if they didnt make it consumer friendly the lip of this car would have been cracked at least 2 times alrdy parking over the concrete curb thing.

I get the same feelings as you guys sometimes, thinking its greener on the other side. But i think thats just my passion and love for all cars. The lexus is a pretty good car when i think about it.
Old 07-05-16, 12:05 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
I feel that German cars have the wheel gap more visually correct
Not sure I agree, I mean I don't think I agree there is such a thing as "correct" wheel gap. I have had 3 different BMWs - all have different wheel gaps, Lexus actually falls somewhere in the middle.
Old 07-06-16, 09:05 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 387
If you are leasing and plan on a new leased car every two-three-four years, definitely Audi/BMW/MB has a lot of cool cars.

But if you plan to keep the car long term or buy an off lease car out of warranty, or even outright from new. I would not touch German cars.

I believe that Lexus is the "smart and practical person's luxury brand" since it is a Toyota product and those cars pretty much run forever with basic maintenance.
One of the things I learned from owning a Genesis for a couple of years, is that there are no free lunches. Every manufacturer has to hit a cost/retail price point. The margins have to absorb 60 month interest free financing and the huge increase in leasing.

The Genesis had every option imaginable -- some that are only showing up on cars now. It was solid and reliable. However, the quality of the components drove me away. For example, rear view camera was low def. Air conditioner couldn't cool the car on 95 degree days. The suspension was rudimentary. Cheap plastic hidden away -- really cheap plastic. What I realized is that I'd rather have fewer features as long as the features I do get are extremely high quality. This is get from Lexus and Acura.

The Germans are always pumping out 4K, 3D TV type cars to keep people buying. Yes, the Lexus is humble but I'd argue it is more authentic than the Germans. You know what you're going to get. No drama. It works.
Old 07-25-16, 05:40 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport
Good: Distinctive, modern styling, great ride quality, fun in sport+ mode, relaxing in others
Bad: Doesn't feel like 306 hp unless you wind it out, very little torque down low, numb-ish steering

In all, I wish I could take features from each car I've owned to build the "perfect car." Perhaps there's a perfect car out there, but I haven't found it yet. But for now, I'm still pretty happy with my new IS350.
The Audi supercharged 3.0 is a good engine. If the IS had that, it would really be something.

Old 08-10-16, 11:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I remembered back in the mid to late 80's and early 90's they were struggling to stay alive in the US market due to sudden acceleration issues which they absolutely denied any fault. I guess this deceptive culture evenutually caught up with them with the latest scam with the mpg false reporting/rigged electronic sensors. It may take almost a quarter of century to get caught with the hands on the cookie jar, but justice prevailed.

Originally Posted by sdiver68
I've owned 5 VAG products, 3 of them from new...and was a card carrying Porschefile as a youth. Here are my last 3:

2006 Cayman S, Oil ingestion issues dealer wouldn't help, sold at less than 10k miles
2012 S4, DCT issues dealer wouldn't help, sold in 6 months
2014 Q5 TDI, largest case of corporate fraud in history, sold and suing Audi.

If you want to give your money to liars and thieves then strongly consider a VAG product.