IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

DIY Aftermarket Amp install step by step with pictures (Simple Way)

Old 11-09-14, 11:27 AM
IC350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Aftermarket Amp install step by step with pictures (Simple Way)

Hey guys this is my first time doing a DIY so please be nice . I have installed few amplifier before. It has token be 3-4 hours to complete. I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. This is just a simple installation with out removing anything.

20014 IS350 F sport without ML

TOOL USED:
AudioControl LC2I 2-Channel Line Out Converter
db drive 1800 watt subwoofer
DB Drive A3 1000.1D amplifier
4 gauge amp kit

1. Connect to the battery and tie up everything.

2. Punch a hole into the rubber gromet and run the power wire through it.

3. Pull the scuff plate

4. Remove the bulb

5. remove the scuff plate in the back and run the wire through from the front to back

6. Run the Ground wire

Not the cleanest but it works
Old 11-09-14, 12:06 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. Just gotta clean up those wires with the masking tape a bit.
Old 11-09-14, 05:40 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, best to go back and use insulated spade connectors or at least some electrical tape. You don't want any short circuits
Old 11-09-14, 10:34 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

You found Blue Remote wire back there?
Are you sure power shuts off on this wire with key out? I recall testing all wires with Factory Wiring diagrams and did not locate a single Accessory or Ignition wire at the factory Amplifier at all.

Also i Recommend you redo the wire going through the firewall, it does not look like you punched hole through the Rubber Grommet> it looks like more like you popped the Grommet off and got the wire to pass through but going around the Grommet. Over time this will may rub through the wire insulation but rubbing against metal edge of hole. Also this gives water a way to enter into the cabin because the Grommet not giving a good seal anymore due to power wire in the way now for the grommet to seat and seal correctly.
Old 11-10-14, 09:41 AM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write up, but as someone who was a professional mobile electronics installer for 7 years there are some glaring issues that should be pointed out so that people dont have potential issues, first and foremost that power wire running beside the grommet through the firewall, the whole purpose of that grommet is to protect the wires from chaffing against the metal, the power wire should have been run through that grommet, what I did when I did the install on my IS350 was tape the power wire to a coat hanger that i straightened, poke it through the grommet and pull the wire through. Second the remote turn on wire should come from a fused and switched accessory, for simplicity sake I just went to the fuse box and tapped off the fused side of an accessory fuse direct in the box. As for finding the high level inputs (speaker wires) for the amp signal, I just went direct to the factory sub, because the amp will be running mono you only really need a single input source, not a stereo (left and right) source. The ground wire seems to be attached on top of a nut an bolt sitting on a painted surface. personally from experience I know the importance of a good ground, I always scrape paint off and secure direct to sheet metal. And Im not trying to be a **** here... but masking tape... really?? Im sure your setup works just fine, but if people are to use this as an educational resource for their own installs I couldnt not mention anything.
Old 11-10-14, 10:20 AM
IC350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said im not a professorial. This is the simple guide to start with. I tried to find good info how to do it correct way on 3IS but no luck so i just put together for people who need lil help.