IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 10:14 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?

Hello, there - so I finally received my special order 2015 IS, which I ordered back in July (woohoo!). However, despite my checking on the order multiple times throughout the whole process, having a printout of my actual order from their system, etc., the car somehow arrived with two options missing (rear lip spoiler and door edge guards)...

The dealer vowed to make this right, so they ordered the parts and I dropped off my car to have the missing options installed. However, when I got the car back, I found myself extremely unhappy with the rear lip spoiler install - it does not sit flush with the rest of the car at all, and you can see a huge gap between the front edge of the spoiler and the rest of the car! I'm attaching a few pics to see what you guys think - am I being unreasonably picky about this?? I've seen many pics of others' spoiler installs (some installed by the end users themselves!) and none of them look this terrible...

pic1 - view of the spoiler looking towards the back of the car (so you're seeing the front edge of the spoiler) - notice the huge gap between car trunk and spoiler
pic2 - another shot, slightly zoomed in - the white rectangular areas are the pieces of padding between the spoiler and the car (shouldn't normally be visible!)
pic3 - side view of the spoiler from the driver's side of the car - notice how it's not even close to being flush with the car
pic4 - side view from the passenger side as well - also not flush

...so am I justified in being unsatisfied?? And will this even be fixable, since this spoiler install required drilling through the trunk door in several places?

I realize that what's done is done, but I can't help think that if the car would've arrived as it was ordered, then none of this would have been an issue. I feel like factory/port installs of options will always be better than dealer installed, since that's what they do all day long. I realize I'm being nitpicky with some of this stuff, but the door edge guards also aren't exactly the same length on both sides, and there were metal shavings left in my trunk after the dealer installed my rear lip spoiler (poorly!) - my salesperson told me to bring the car in so they could fix the door edge guards and vacuum out the shavings, but I went ahead and vacuumed the trunk myself and said that I'd rather just leave the door edge guards as is (in case they cause even more problems!).

Anyway, for TL;DR people - new car came with spoiler missing, dealer installed themselves, looks like crap to me, am I being unreasonable??
Attached Thumbnails Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?-rear1.jpg   Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?-rear2.jpg   Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?-rear3.jpg   Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?-rear4.jpg  
Old 11-05-14, 10:21 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id have already taken it back if a dealership did it. Sometimes its not always flush but that looks like a total half *** job... Looks like they used 2" double sided tape for petes sake......
Old 11-05-14, 10:31 AM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

WOW they did a horrible job. Take it back and tell them that your unhappy with the quality of work they provided. Maybe they had it send out to a local company for the install. Sometime they go ahead and do that or sometime they just do it them self. But either way that's BAD.
Good Luck
Old 11-05-14, 11:45 AM
threefiddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are ABSOLUTELY justified in your anger!

Take it back! Raise hell! That's sloppy and just all-around negligent. If I'm paying this much for a vehicle - you better go above and beyond my expectations.

I would not expect this from Lexus service. Horrible. I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Old 11-05-14, 12:12 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ...................

My local dealership did a similar half a$$ job on my wife's car so I took the car back. They had an independent body shop do it and it looked like factory once it was done right.

I suggest you do the same, take it back!

Most dealerships dont have a qualified body shop.

We had ordered the car without the spoiler and decided to have it installed after.
Old 11-05-14, 12:41 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on your new IS...

You need to take that back to the dealer, and they need to make this right for you. I wouldn't have excepted it and left the car with them.

Good luck..
Old 11-05-14, 01:30 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like the others have said above. Take it back. That would bug me.
Old 11-05-14, 02:59 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

looks awful. what a bunch of asses to return your car to you in that condition. unacceptable.
Old 11-06-14, 05:54 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cremaster
looks awful. what a bunch of asses to return your car to you in that condition. unacceptable.
Exactly, I mean did the dealer really think no one would notice their hack job.. What idiots..
Old 11-06-14, 12:52 PM
tC2IS350
Driver

That looks incredibly awful. Absolutely take that back to your dealership. They will need to order you a new spoiler and have it installed, because when they remove the current one it will ruin it.

I had the OEM spoiler installed on mine at the dealership as well, and the guy put the entire thing about 1/8" shifted to the right. My salesman and the sales manager were furious when they saw it, and they actually offered to order me an entirely new car. I decided to just have them reorder the spoiler and install it again. It looks perfect this time.
Old 11-06-14, 01:36 PM
zarraz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is probably not even an oem spoiler, as lexus oem are amazing for fit and finish, I installed mine at home that is how easy it is, comes with a template, and proper tape, from the pictures it looks like the wrong tape was used, its not oem, oem tape was grey and not white
Old 11-06-14, 03:30 PM
Tommy3443
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the installer mounted it a little to high on the trunk.
Old 11-07-14, 01:43 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does not look like any of the OEM Lexus spoilers.
Old 11-07-14, 06:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

The white sticky pads are too thick and show. Totally amateur job. Not acceptable for any car.
Old 11-10-14, 07:42 AM
Sandeman
Driver School Candidate

****ty work ask them to do it right or tell them to take it to a pro for a proper install

Quick Reply: Rear lip spoiler installed terribly?!?