IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

so wife borrowed car today and...

Old 11-04-14, 06:57 PM
steveo55
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default so wife borrowed car today and...

She curbed one of the wheels. Ahh horrible feeling. She totally didnt tell me. She borrowed it in the morning in the afternoon we were leaving to go to dinner she ran out and got into the car fast. Strange i thought i start walking over and i see it. I get in the car and she still doesnt tell me i ask what happens and she finally admits it. Im so careful i never park close to the curb. Im so careful going thru drive thrus. First damage and it wasnt even done by me.
Old 11-04-14, 07:03 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks dude, but could have been a lot worse. When I read the title I expect to see your entire front end gone. Hopefully your wife knows to be more careful going forward.
Old 11-04-14, 07:07 PM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the positive, now you have an excuse to tell the wife to get new wheels, haha!
Old 11-04-14, 07:19 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alius
Look at the positive, now you have an excuse to tell the wife to get new wheels, haha!
Agreed, Xmas is coming, his wife should treat him or allow him to treat himself to some new rims
Old 11-04-14, 08:28 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It happens... Give her the car for small trips first and tell her to be careful then check if she's taking care of it, increase the period till she learns.
Old 11-05-14, 05:44 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife nicked my front driver wheel, pretty small, and i'm usually pretty **** about these things, especially when paying for a $47k car. i was annoyed, however, i forgave her pretty quickly because her feeling bad or stressed out over the matter is not worth it. a month later i scraped the passenger side wheel for the first time in my life! two spots about 1 inch long each. i was pretty damn pissed at myself the entire day, but you learn to live with it. my wife hates driving the car now bc she's soo freaked out and stressed and afraid she'll do something bad. that to me is even worst because being a stressed driver in a $47car only sets up for a bad situation to occur. i would encourage your wife to be careful but not hold anything against her. i also wouldn't put her in a position where she has to buy you new wheels bc your one rim got nicked.. if you do that, what happens when you break or eff up something of hers? and then if you don't replace it, it'll be hell on you, so i wouldn't even bring it up bro. just take it like it is and go on enjoying life with the car.
Old 11-05-14, 06:41 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Oh it happens. The IS is strictly the Mrs. car. I have had two occasions when she comes in the house balling. To the point she can't even talk. Once was for a very minor curbed wheel. The other was when she ran over a truck tire tread on the highway. I don't think she ever looks when this stuff happens. She just hears the noise and assumes the worse. The lower bumper slightly below the air dam was scratched from the tire. The clear bra absorbed most of the punishment. A slight imperfection now, but nothing I worry too much about. It is a car, and unless you drive around in a bubble, stuff is going to happen.

I always tell her, no injuries or loss of life and all is well. It's just a car!
Old 11-05-14, 07:37 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Luckily I curb rashed my own passenger side wheel before my wife could...also the first time I've done that in a car. Guess the wheel warranty is already paying dividends. Also the interstate for my entire commute is under construction, so it's like a rock storm for 10 miles each way every morning...uhh.
Old 11-05-14, 08:27 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HanaleiISF
Luckily I curb rashed my own passenger side wheel before my wife could...also the first time I've done that in a car. Guess the wheel warranty is already paying dividends. Also the interstate for my entire commute is under construction, so it's like a rock storm for 10 miles each way every morning...uhh.
if you haven't already i highly, highly advise you to get a PPF or clear bra.. i took too long thinking about it and my from bumper has so many nicks after only 9 months of ownership. our roads are constantly under construction, theres practically construction everywhere. the past 3 months they've redone an 10 mile stretch on a street off of my home and it sucks ***! its wayyyy to late for me now.. maybe the imperfections and chips show up more because its a white car, though someone once said the "design of the 3IS attracts rock chips and debris". as stupid as that sounds, i agree with both.
Old 11-05-14, 08:29 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
if you haven't already i highly, highly advise you to get a PPF or clear bra.. i took too long thinking about it and my from bumper has so many nicks after only 9 months of ownership. our roads are constantly under construction, theres practically construction everywhere. the past 3 months they've redone an 10 mile stretch on a street off of my home and it sucks ***! its wayyyy to late for me now.. maybe the imperfections and chips show up more because its a white car, though someone once said the "design of the 3IS attracts rock chips and debris". as stupid as that sounds, i agree with both.
I'm at 2800 miles and 3 months so far and small black chips in the white bumper are starting to form along the front so you are exactly right.
Old 11-05-14, 09:02 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This story was very funny to read! She didn't want to miss her dinner, that's for sure! Take it as it is, bro. It happened to me when I had my 1st brand new car getting out of the school's garage and I was pissed for a couple of days. Afterwards, you learn to live with it. All of us have lessons so that we don't make the same mistakes again
Old 11-05-14, 09:45 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whenever I've curbed wheels in the past, they have been silver-painted wheels, thus I just called the mobile wheel repair guy to fix them. He only charges about $100 per wheel and they looked good as new:

http://www.awrswheelrepair.com

But I've been wondering how to fix the IS350 F-sport wheels if needed someday. They are not the typical silver color so I don't think the repair guy would have the right paint color.
Old 11-05-14, 10:22 AM
ISISGUY
Rookie

I let my GF drive my car to Costco which is only about 5 miles from us, as she pulled into a spot she scraped under the front bumper on the curb. At that point I had only had the car about a month. I admit, I overreacted and gave her the silent treatment but looking back on it, I was a jerk about it. But she is now afraid of driving my car and it's taking a while to have her feel comfortable driving it again. Not worth the stress over something small and very fixable. Yes it's a lot of money we've all paid or are paying but things are still gonna happen.
Old 11-05-14, 11:51 AM
threefiddy
Driver School Candidate

Let's switch the tables here...

I let my husband take my previous vehicle [FX35] out for errands or whatnot with his friend...he graciously took it through a car wash. How sweet, right?

Well, he forgot to close the sunroof... aaaaand got water all over the interior. He cleaned and vacuumed it all up before I found out. He didn't tell me for months, though.
Old 11-05-14, 12:35 PM
IS1911
Driver

Simple solution. Buy a new wheel and take it out of her shoe money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so wife borrowed car today and...