IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should we buy the IS 250?

Old 10-20-14, 07:00 PM
agsuper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should we buy the IS 250?

Greetings all,

We are looking to buy a new sedan. Our budget is under $40K. We currently own a 2013 Acura TSX 4dr sedan and looking to replace it with something more comfortable, especially something that we can go for long rides in. TSX is fine but it can get very loud on the highway which gives us a headache after a few hours of drive. We really feel that we have done X miles after our trip, and we've begun hating all the vibrations in this car.

So we're looking for something that is very comfortable and won't make us very tired after a long drive. We like small sedans and were looking at 2014 Lexus IS250 and Infiniti Q50. Its hard to decide by taking a small test drive so looking for your inputs.

Should we consider the IS 250? If not, which cars should we consider? Please share your experience with us.

Thanks,

Ag
Old 10-20-14, 07:58 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If i was looking for something a little more smoother than the TSX then I would go to the mid-large standard sedans like the GS or LS. Maybe even with the acura TL. From my experience of owning my IS, it hasn't been loud but its more along the lines of a sport sedan which is a stiffer than usual suspension it larger wheels with smaller profile tires which is usually a bit more harsher on the road.

The IS is comfortable but not very family friendly especially in the rear seat.

Don't get me wrong, I love the IS as a "ME" car but beyond that, driving family and friends around, I would choose another car
Old 10-20-14, 08:07 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would rather get a semi used gs. More comfortable than the is
Old 10-20-14, 08:51 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the new TLX is supposedly very quiet, not sure how comfortable it is. If you have a family, or thinking of having a family soon, I wouldn't recommend the IS. A used 2013/2014 GS is a great option as well.
Old 10-20-14, 09:03 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A used RWD IS350 runs under 40k with under 25k miles. The extra +100hp makes a difference..
Old 10-20-14, 10:47 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

The new 2015 TLX is a good choice, but wait for the second year so the minor things/bugs can be fix. I have an IS250 and its comfortable on everyday highway and loving the heated and ventilated seats. The TLX will get a better mpg but the Lexus feels more like a premium and layout is much better with unique styling. I'm getting 28mpg combined daily on my IS250.
Old 10-20-14, 11:06 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by theoryguy
A used RWD IS350 runs under 40k with under 25k miles. The extra +100hp makes a difference..
I was going with IS350 but it hurts seeing the mpg so I went with IS250.
Old 10-20-14, 11:42 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CPO 2013 GS350s can be found for 39-40k mark Id consider that and the GS is a champ on the highway
Old 10-21-14, 01:17 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 395 Likes on 240 Posts

I would rock the ES all day especially if your doing long rides. It's 80% of interior space of the LS and way cheaper.
Old 10-21-14, 07:43 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want more comfort and quiet get the ES like the poster above stated. If you are willing to give up some of that for more sportiness, get the IS.
Old 10-21-14, 09:46 AM
dsnuts
Driver School Candidate

The two cars I had to decide between was the IS250 and the TLX. I am so glad I went with Lexus. Looking back I would've regretted the TLX. Hidden dual exhaust was the deal breaker & pricepoint didn't match for me. Definitely more room in the TLX and better storage options in the main cabin. TLX V6 & loaded still couldn't match up to the IS imho. IS is definitely a nice upgrade from a TSX. I commute daily 2+ hours on the freeway and the car is very comfortable. No complaints so far
Old 10-21-14, 11:06 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The IS ride is on the firm side, but nowhere near as firm as BMW unless you want it to be (F-Sport model in Sport+ mode). It's firm-isn, but not harsh and very quiet. The TSX suffers from a lot of road noise and buzzy engine. The IS doesn't have either of those issues and makes for a fine highway cruiser.
Old 10-21-14, 02:26 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We own a 2012 Acura TL AWD-SH and a 2014 IS 350 AWD. Both great cars, but it sounds like a GS or the Q50 would be more suited to your needs.
Old 10-21-14, 02:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm on my second IS 250 and no regrets. Has the industry-best Lexus reliability and quality.

Buttery smooth and quiet V6 power is much better than the base 4-cyl TLX but will cost you more on gas.

Suspension comfort on the non-F-Sport IS is good especially with the 17" tires.

A negative to the latest IS is despite an increase in rear seat room, it is still a little tighter than your (Euro-Accord) TSX and more so than the new TLX.

The Q50: Interior room is larger than the IS about like your current TSX. It's the most powerful thanks to it's big V6 and is as smooth and quiet as the IS. It is however a larger car, about Camry-sized if that matters to you.

Forget the Germans (BMW 3, Audi A3/A4) as they will go beyond 40K, unless you are looking at a short-term lease, get an amazing deal, and you don't mind taking on additional risk dealing with issues with the car (under warranty of course, but your time and surprises/headaches...)

Caddy ATS might interest you. It's slightly tighter than the IS in the rear though. However, reliability-wise is still so-so and quality/refinement is at the bottom in this class. It is a quiet comfortable cruiser though with the base suspension.

Volvo S60 might also interest you. Reliability is similar to the Caddy, but more refined and roomier. A good highway driver too.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-21-14, 07:59 PM
agsuper
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the great feedback. We never thought buying a car would be such a complicated decision.

We are a small growing family and young so we like good looking sedans and are not ready to upgrade to an SUV. Gas mileage is not a very big issue because our weekly driving is quite minimal. We do like to go on long rides though which make TSX a complete deal-breaker. Spagolli94 you are right about the road/wind noise and a buzzy engine.

We had not considered the ES or the GS due to their "matured" look. GS is slightly better due to a bit more aggressive styling but its completely out of our price range. We are open to buying a user car though so would test drive the GS this weekend, and if possible would like to take IS250 for a long drive. I am a bit wary of the Q50 but my wife likes it, I find it a bit more cramped in the front than the IS.

Thanks again all, I will keep you posted!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should we buy the IS 250?