IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Great option for F-Sport Brake Dust issue / Project MU - Type NS Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 06:55 AM
Tai3IS
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great option for F-Sport Brake Dust issue / Project MU - Type NS Pads

Well, as many of us all suffer from the excessive brake dust issue with the F Sport pads, I decided to search for an option that might help in that department.

Back in 2008, i had a similar issue with my Subaru STI. I was sick of cleaning my wheels more than i was cleaning my car. Ever since i got the Lexus, I started noticing that i was getting into the same boat again. Back then to solve the issue, i installed a set of Project Mu Type NS pads, and they were definitely a great option.

So i figured that these would be a good solution for the Lexus as well. And I was right. I got the pads in, but i didn't install them right a way. I cleaned my wheels, noted the mileage, and did some city driving for a couple of days, so that i could do a comparison test.

Here are some pics of the stock pads, before and after.

Stock F Sport Pads Before mileage:

Wheels freshly cleaned:

Stock F Sport Pads After just 26 miles (city driving):

When i finally got some free time, i installed the new Project MU TYPE NS pads. I let the brakes cool down after breaking them in, and then washed the wheels thoroughly like before. And here are the results.

Project Mu Type NS Pads Before mileage:

Wheels freshly cleaned:

Project MU Type NS Pads After 32 miles (city driving):

I know that i probably could have done a more scientific way of doing a comparison test, but i just haven't really had much free time. I figured this would be sufficient enough to show the difference.

I've been driving on these Type NS pads for some time now, and i have to say that they did not disappoint. They have a greater initial bite than the stock pads, and the amount of dust that is being put out with these is a vast improvement over the stock pads. Great japanese made performance pad for our sporty japanese cars.

If you're looking for an alternative brake pad for everyday driving , you can't beat the Project Mu TYPE NS. Contact your Project Mu dealer asap for these. But IS250 owners, be sure to specify that you have an F-Sport when ordering.

I hope this helps some of you guys out there. Just wanted to try and give my 2 cents to our Club Lexus community.

Last edited by Tai3IS; 10-20-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-20-14, 11:57 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just switched rotors/pads a few weeks ago. I picked up stoptech rotors/pads and i haven't had any issues of brake dust.
Old 10-20-14, 04:36 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I achieved similar results switching to ceramic pads. I would go insane if I had to keep cleaning dust off the wheels every week.
Old 10-20-14, 05:27 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
I achieved similar results switching to ceramic pads. I would go insane if I had to keep cleaning dust off the wheels every week.
ya. the OEM pads killed me! washed the car and the next day my wheel would be coated in brake dust!! drove me insane!!!
Old 10-22-14, 05:20 AM
mark1281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I have found to truly help out with OEM pads is to use Armour All Wheel Protectant. You will most likely use a whole can the first time you coat your wheels, after each car wash I lightly coat them again and the wheels look pretty clean even after a few hundred miles of driving. Until I replace the pads, this is what I do.
Old 10-31-14, 04:10 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

We still have plenty of these in stock and ready to ship!

Please PM for pricing.
Old 11-07-17, 09:52 AM
vp901
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We still have plenty of these in stock and ready to ship!

Please PM for pricing.
Can you give me pricing for IS 350F
Thanks