IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-16, 03:22 PM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Post photos of your IS3 Windshield tints!

I have a nebula grey Pearl and planning on tinting the windshield. If you have nebula Pearl grey photos with the windshield tints, even better. If not, any photos will help! Yes I know it's illegal but I have my connections for sign offs.

~ As far as %, what did you go with? Pics?!
~ Any big vision difference when driving in daytime and night time?
~ how much did you pay?
~ what brand tint? Ceramic or carbon?

Anything will be appreciated.
Old 07-04-16, 06:01 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamkq
I have a nebula grey Pearl and planning on tinting the windshield. If you have nebula Pearl grey photos with the windshield tints, even better. If not, any photos will help! Yes I know it's illegal but I have my connections for sign offs.

~ As far as %, what did you go with? Pics?!
~ Any big vision difference when driving in daytime and night time?
~ how much did you pay?
~ what brand tint? Ceramic or carbon?

Anything will be appreciated.
Here's mine:

3M Crystalline 70%
Daytime - huge difference in rejecting the sun light and keeping the car a lot cooler!
Night time - no visibility issues for me at all!
Attached Thumbnails Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!-windshield-1.jpg  
Old 07-07-16, 12:33 PM
Lexseaxy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5% tints all around <br > <br >
Old 07-28-16, 02:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Need Advice for window tint..

I've finally made an appointment for tomorrow to get a tint job for my Ultra White 2016 IS350 with Black interior.

The thing is I live in CA, and I know its illegal for front window tints. However, I do want to get an "All -Around" look, as well as be effective in blocking the sun and keeping the car cool.

Since its a white car, I'm amusing the % of tint would look darker than it is... So, I'm debating of either 35% all around or 50% all around. Anyone have pics to compare the two?

I don't want to have it too dark, in which would attract the attention of the cops. =\

(Kind of leaning towards 50%...)

Last edited by nathantse; 07-28-16 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 02:55 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I'm probably doing it next week. I've settled on 35% all around. I think it gives it the cleanest look. I have a Atomic Silver so it'd look different from a UW but that's just my 2 cents. Plus, living in Miami.. Anything over 35% is pointless. It's always hot here.
Old 07-28-16, 03:06 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
So, I'm debating of either 35% all around or 50% all around. Anyone have pics to compare the two?

I don't want to have it too dark, in which would attract the attention of the cops. =\

I went through this exact dilemma myself. I wanted an all-around because I detest the "lighter in the front, limo in the back" look. When I got my windows done, I asked the shop owner for his opinion on 35% 3M CS vs. 50% CS. I ultimately went with the 35% and I don't think I made a poor decision. I got them done recently (in May) and have yet to be pulled over. With that in mind, a friend of mine told me that cops won't hassle you about tint if they can see who's operating the vehicle.
Old 07-28-16, 03:11 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
I went through this exact dilemma myself. I wanted an all-around because I detest the "lighter in the front, limo in the back" look. When I got my windows done, I asked the shop owner for his opinion on 35% 3M CS vs. 50% CS. I ultimately went with the 35% and I don't think I made a poor decision. I got them done recently (in May) and have yet to be pulled over. With that in mind, a friend of mine told me that cops won't hassle you about tint if they can see who's operating the vehicle.
What color is your car? You mind posting a pic?

The guy will be using 3M Ceramic.
Old 07-28-16, 05:42 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

35% looks good on your IS. But since your also living in CA, have you got any issues with Law Enforcement?

And your right, on the 3M website, ceramic only comes in 30,40, or 50. I'll double check with the guys about the %. But if anything, I think I'll prefer something a bit lighter to be on the safe side. Say maybe 40%...?
Old 07-28-16, 05:57 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

35% looks good on your IS. But since your also living in CA, have you got any issues with Law Enforcement?

And your right, on the 3M website, ceramic only comes in 30,40, or 50. I'll double check with the guys about the %. But if anything, I think I'll prefer something a bit lighter to be on the safe side. Say maybe 40%...?
As I've noted previously, my tint was installed fairly recently so I've yet to be hassled by the law. I also heard that they will not hassle you for tint as long as they can see who is operating the vehicle and that he/she is wearing a seat-belt; however, if an officer is having a bad day, there is nothing stopping him/her from writing you for it.

I definitely advocate for the 40%, it's not too dark and rejects heat better than non-ceramic tints. Again, I recommend going to Crystalline as the cost difference is minimal. If possible, ask the shop if you could see the tint before they begin applying it that way you can verify that they are not applying a lesser tint.
Old 07-29-16, 10:55 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got 5% on all the windows and an 8" strip on the front.
Black interior
Used LLumar film
Old 08-04-16, 06:11 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Has anyone experienced or heard of Suntek CXP window film? How does it compare with Johnson Marathon or any other films in this segment?

A buddy got a price quote for either film for $200. All 5 windows, except windshield.

Last edited by nathantse; 08-04-16 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 06:27 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Need Advice for window tint..

I've finally made an appointment for tomorrow to get a tint job for my Ultra White 2016 IS350 with Black interior.

The thing is I live in CA, and I know its illegal for front window tints. However, I do want to get an "All -Around" look, as well as be effective in blocking the sun and keeping the car cool.

Since its a white car, I'm amusing the % of tint would look darker than it is... So, I'm debating of either 35% all around or 50% all around. Anyone have pics to compare the two?

I would do 35%. It's a perfect shade and it's legal in most states! I currently have 20%, but I will be changing to 40% 3M Crystalline soon! That's another one you can consider - 3M Crystalline in 40%! You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-06-16, 08:37 PM
j0rg305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got 3M Color Stable 18% all around including the sunroof and 5% strip on the windshield
Old 08-06-16, 08:51 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

So, the tints finally got done on the IS350 F Sport. However, I've noticed a long horizontal hairline scratch (~8 inches) on the driver's door window. It is clearly visible under light. It's for sure not from my windows, and the guy says he will re-tint that window.

The rest of the windows looks good. But, I did some inspections close up and I did find some spot that looks like trapped dust here and there.

Is having SOME dust under the tint a normal thing?

Other than that, the tint looks good outside. There's some bubbling here and there but I know that is normal, and I can't really tell the imperfections (dust particles) unless I look up close.
Old 08-06-16, 09:47 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

So, the tints finally got done on the IS350 F Sport. However, I've noticed a long horizontal hairline scratch (~8 inches) on the driver's door window. It is clearly visible under light. It's for sure not from my windows, and the guy says he will re-tint that window.

The rest of the windows looks good. But, I did some inspections close up and I did find some spot that looks like trapped dust here and there.

Is having SOME dust under the tint a normal thing?

Other than that, the tint looks good outside. There's some bubbling here and there but I know that is normal, and I can't really tell the imperfections (dust particles) unless I look up close.
It honestly depends on how much it bothers you. I feel like there shouldn't be dust following an install. Even the bubbling is a little undesirable, but it should go away after a few days normally. Mine came out perfect so my expectations may be a little unreasonable.

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!