IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus Bluetooth and the iPhone 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 10:38 AM
IS1911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Bluetooth and the iPhone 6

Is anyone having any issues using the car's bluetooth connection with their iPhone 6? I sure am. The phone will pair easily and it will stay paired and I can play my music but it will drop any call in 5-10 seconds. The nav screen says "call ended". My phone doesn't drop the call, I can pick it up at the phone by allowing it to disconnect from the car but it seems like the Lexus bluetooth isn't working properly with the new iPhone 6.

My carrier is Verizon and I'm using iOS 8.0.2 which was released by Apple last night. The same issue was occuring with iOS 8.0.0. There seems to be a lot of chatter around the web with the iPhone 6 not working with Toyota bluetooth systems (which obviously Lexus is based on) and the system worked perfectly with my iPhone 5 so I know it's not the car having an issue.

I have tried deleting and re-pairing the phone with the car but this did not resolve the issue. The calls were still being dropped from the car's bluetooth system.

I wonder how long it's going to take Apple and/or Lexus (firmware update?) to get this resolved. In the meantime just be aware this could be an issue for iPhone 6 users and you won't find out about it until you start making calls.
Old 09-26-14, 12:03 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Came out of the Sprint store last Friday and was all excited to play some music through my new iPhone 6 via bluetooth and ran into the same issue. It would pair with no problem, but then it would just disconnect itself after a couple of seconds. The weird thing is when I went to check the status of the connection on my iPhone it said it was still connected to my car. But on my car, the iPhone was "grayed out" to signify it wasn't connected.

I deleted the device from my Bluetooth devices on the car, and then disconnected the pairing and did "forget device" on the iPhone. Then I tried to "re-pair" and it worked again but did the same thing and lost connection after a few seconds. Had to do this repairing about 5 times and then finally it stopped auto-disconnecting itself.

Now it works every time I get in my car just like it did when I was using my iPhone 5. Not sure what the actual fix was but just thought I'd share my experience and let you know I got it working without fail after a few tries. Good luck!
Old 09-26-14, 02:02 PM
IS1911
Driver

jarabanos,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've tried re-pairing a few times but it can't hurt to try a few more. It's easy enough to do. Thanks again, at least it gives me hope.
Old 09-26-14, 02:45 PM
KS13
Driver

I have the 6 Plus and so far no issues with Bluetooth.
Old 09-26-14, 03:08 PM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 6 ATT and have had no issues... sorry
Old 09-26-14, 03:14 PM
FHB
Driver School Candidate

I do sometimes face the same problem. It happens when I make a phone call using the car's speaker. When the call is ended, the screen shows "IN PROGRESS" and gets stuck to this status and, thus can't connect the bluetooth.

The only way to resolve this is to turn the car off and switch it on again, it works fine. Plus, I stopped using the car's speaker when making phone calls to avoid such things to happen.
Old 09-26-14, 03:15 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the regular Verizon iPhone 6 and the first time I paired my phone with the Lexus, the calls worked fine and although the media player would begin playing my music, it would disconnect the music every 10 seconds. After turning the car off and leaving it for about 3 minutes, I re-paired the media player and it worked perfectly. Try restarting the phone and the car! Good luck man!
Old 09-26-14, 07:21 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a iPhone 6 with no problems but I have a 2015 car so may have updated Bluetooth version etc.
Old 09-26-14, 09:08 PM
enoren
Pole Position

iPhone 6 on AT&T... still on iOS 8.0... no problems once I paired the phone the first time, although I haven't had any phone calls since getting the new phone. Podcasts and Music work fine over Bluetooth.
Old 09-27-14, 06:12 AM
GaryHE
Driver School Candidate

iPhone 6 on Verizon, still on IOS 8.0. 2014 IS350...All aspects of the car/phone interface working great. No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-27-14, 02:38 PM
IS1911
Driver

Originally Posted by enoren
iPhone 6 on AT&T... still on iOS 8.0... no problems once I paired the phone the first time, although I haven't had any phone calls since getting the new phone. Podcasts and Music work fine over Bluetooth.
Please let me know if you are having any issues with the calls. The pairing process and the music work perfectly for me as well. It's the calls I'm having issues with. I will be making a follow up post shortly.
Old 09-27-14, 02:42 PM
IS1911
Driver

So I just wanted to follow up on this issue I’m having with my iPhone 6 and the in-car Bluetooth with outgoing calls being dropped by the car (the phone still retains the call) within 5-10 seconds. At this point I have tried re-pairing the phone at least a dozen times with no success. I also noticed the following in with incoming calls. The in-car Bluetooth will ring but the ring is also heard on the phone. So in another words the both the car and phone are ringing at the same time. I don’t believe that’s correct. I didn’t have a chance to receive a lot of incoming calls with my iPhone 5 before trading up to the iPhone 6 but I seem to remember the car would ring but not the iPhone. Anyway, incoming calls will ring and show up on the car’s display but cannot be answered. Pressing the answer switch does nothing.

I’ve been in contact with the technology desk at my Lexus dealer and they would like me to bring the car in next Saturday. At this point in time none of the techs have an iPhone 6 of their own but the person I spoke said he was getting one this week and he’ll be able to assist me further with my issue after he’s had a chance to test his out. He was very friendly and helpful. My gut feeling tells me this issue will need to be resolved by Apple but it’s nice to know the Lexus tech is willing to help.

Also, just so everyone knows this issue appears to be widespread using the iPhone 6 with various auto manufacturers Bluetooth systems. Here's some interesting links:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6557549

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546237

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6543293

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6544120

http://www.business2community.com/so...ssues-01017438

Last edited by IS1911; 09-27-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 11:39 AM
IS1911
Driver

I am updating this thread for the benefit of others who are also experiencing Bluetooth connection issues like I am . . .

You can fix the connectivity issues TEMPORARILY by going into

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

CAUTION! Be aware this will only work until the next time you turn your iPhone off. When you turn it on again the BT connectivity issues will resurface. I personally tried this and it does work but only temporarily until the phone is rebooted. Furthermore, please be aware that you may use all of your iCloud data by resetting all of your settings.

A more permanent fix is in the works in the form of iOS 8.1 which has a target release date of 10-20-14. See the below link:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/56851...le-ios-8-1.htm

The most important take away from this thread is that if you are experiencing BT connectivity issues with your iPhone 6 the problem is with the iOS and not your Lexus.
Old 10-03-14, 01:42 PM
mnm27mnm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS1911
Is anyone having any issues using the car's bluetooth connection with their iPhone 6? I sure am. The phone will pair easily and it will stay paired and I can play my music but it will drop any call in 5-10 seconds. The nav screen says "call ended". My phone doesn't drop the call, I can pick it up at the phone by allowing it to disconnect from the car but it seems like the Lexus bluetooth isn't working properly with the new iPhone 6.

My carrier is Verizon and I'm using iOS 8.0.2 which was released by Apple last night. The same issue was occuring with iOS 8.0.0. There seems to be a lot of chatter around the web with the iPhone 6 not working with Toyota bluetooth systems (which obviously Lexus is based on) and the system worked perfectly with my iPhone 5 so I know it's not the car having an issue.

I have tried deleting and re-pairing the phone with the car but this did not resolve the issue. The calls were still being dropped from the car's bluetooth system.

I wonder how long it's going to take Apple and/or Lexus (firmware update?) to get this resolved. In the meantime just be aware this could be an issue for iPhone 6 users and you won't find out about it until you start making calls.
You see, should have got a Samsung. Lol jk. I have a Samsung S4 and the Bluetooth does the same thing with me. Do you have anything connected to the usb port? I have a usb drive connected and I forget to take it out and try it without the usb drive connected.
Old 10-03-14, 02:01 PM
c3po33
Driver School Candidate

I delete my old iPhone and pair my new iPhone 6 this morning. Phone call are working fine no disconnect at all using 8.02. Have not tried Bluetooth audio yet.

My text messages are not coming in on the car screen like they did in my iPhone 5 though and I did turn on Show Notifications in Bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Lexus Bluetooth and the iPhone 6