IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

wind noise

Old 09-25-14, 06:22 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say that maybe there is a gap in the trip around one of the doors, can you pin point where it is coming from?
Old 09-25-14, 09:30 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jennypenny
hmmm.. looks like only my car has that issue.

thanks guys. i'll probably send it to the dealer to check.
Bearing in mind the speed above which the wind noise appears - 87mph (140kph) is well above the maximum speed limit in Singapore (100 - 110kph on the expressways), where do you suggest the dealership would take your car to test your complaint - the Grand Prix track?
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (11-19-21)
Old 09-25-14, 12:50 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Bearing in mind the speed above which the wind noise appears - 87mph (140kph) is well above the maximum speed limit in Singapore (100 - 110kph on the expressways), where do you suggest the dealership would take your car to test your complaint - the Grand Prix track?
Or there's always the fact that Malaysia is literally minutes away from Singapore.
Parrokeete (11-19-21)
Old 09-25-14, 03:00 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Or there's always the fact that Malaysia is literally minutes away from Singapore.
Same speed limits apply. No dealership is going to break the speed limits to such a great extent test driving a car.
Old 09-25-14, 05:37 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Same speed limits apply. No dealership is going to break the speed limits to such a great extent test driving a car.
Someone who is currently in Malaysia would have to confirm but no, I don't believe the same speed limits apply.

I do agree that getting the dealership to invest the time and effort to diagnose tricky issues related to speeds that are beyond local limits may be asking for the impossible.
Old 09-25-14, 11:31 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so i paid really close attention to see if there is wind noise, and i did. Now i cannot unhear the wind noise. it's one of those things that once you hear it, you cannot not hear it anymore. It's all i hear on my drive tonight
Parrokeete (11-19-21)
Old 12-30-14, 06:47 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmm.. looks like only my car has that issue.

thanks guys. i'll probably send it to the dealer to check.
dealer says i should slow down.........
Old 12-31-14, 11:43 AM
dagobert
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nerve of some dealers.....
Parrokeete (11-19-21)
Old 01-01-15, 12:23 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dealer says i should slow down.........
Lol. While that's probably true, I wouldn't accept that as a solution to the problem. Take it back and demand that they address the issue.
Old 01-01-15, 12:37 PM
DreamAce7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believed manufacturers test the wind noise on 50-70 mph.
Old 03-03-15, 10:58 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also experience that at as slow as 55mph.
It's loud enough for me to notice on top of the road noise.

"Slowing down" isn't the issue....
Jennypenny, did the dealership say anything else besides that?
Old 03-06-15, 11:45 AM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue on my driver's side window. I did numerous comparisons at different speeds and the driver's side was noticeably louder than the passenger side. Also, the window run on my driver's side was visible warped and not lined up properly in the upper corner.

I took it to my local dealership and did a test drive with the technician. He agreed with me and they replaced the window run free of charge. The new window run was still not seated properly, but the dealership technician told me it "just needed to bake in the sun for a day." It did get a little bit better but the wind noise was still entering on that side.

Fast forward to a few months later when I had my windows tinted. The tint shop scratched my driver's side window and gave me cash to order a replacement. I picked up an OEM window from Sewell and had a reputable shop replace it. I also ordered another window run at that time. The shop did a great job and the window run was flush and almost perfect without baking in the sun. The guy who did the install told me the dumbass technician from the dealer didn't even install the replacement window run properly and the teeth weren't connected properly to allow it to sit flush. It's much quieter now and I barely hear anything unless I'm going 80+ MPH.
Old 03-06-15, 01:49 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luisvm
I had the same issue on my driver's side window. I did numerous comparisons at different speeds and the driver's side was noticeably louder than the passenger side. Also, the window run on my driver's side was visible warped and not lined up properly in the upper corner.

I took it to my local dealership and did a test drive with the technician. He agreed with me and they replaced the window run free of charge. The new window run was still not seated properly, but the dealership technician told me it "just needed to bake in the sun for a day." It did get a little bit better but the wind noise was still entering on that side.

Fast forward to a few months later when I had my windows tinted. The tint shop scratched my driver's side window and gave me cash to order a replacement. I picked up an OEM window from Sewell and had a reputable shop replace it. I also ordered another window run at that time. The shop did a great job and the window run was flush and almost perfect without baking in the sun. The guy who did the install told me the dumbass technician from the dealer didn't even install the replacement window run properly and the teeth weren't connected properly to allow it to sit flush. It's much quieter now and I barely hear anything unless I'm going 80+ MPH.
That's good to know! I really hope this could be fixed.
Maybe I should bring it to a 3rd party shop to have them inspect it?
Is there another place where I could get the window run now that Sewell is gone?
Old 03-09-15, 10:40 AM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebirthing
That's good to know! I really hope this could be fixed.
Maybe I should bring it to a 3rd party shop to have them inspect it?
Is there another place where I could get the window run now that Sewell is gone?
I suggest first going to your local dealership to see if they agree that the wind noise in your car is not within the acceptable specifications. If so, they will likely want to troubleshoot on their own and address the issue under warranty. I think most dealerships will know how to properly replace a window run or other similar parts. I probably just had a stroke of bad luck with the technician at my dealership who installed my warranty replacement incorrectly. It was sloppy work.

The shop that replaced my driver's side window run the second time specializes in window and windshield replacement. Since I had to have my window replaced anyway, I just purchased the new window run from Sewell and they installed it for free with the replacement window. It only cost me $60 plus the cost of the part. If you were to buy a new window run and have a shop install it, my guess is you would be spending around $100 for everything and there's no guarantee that you are having the same issue I had. Recall that I said my window run was visibly warped and not seated properly compared to all the other windows.

Having said that, I came across a website that seems to have prices almost identical to the Sewell price for Club Lexus members. For example, here is a link to a replacement window run for the driver's side door. The price is only a few dollars more than what I paid for the part on Sewell.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/68151-53030.html
Old 11-19-21, 05:30 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
so i paid really close attention to see if there is wind noise, and i did. Now i cannot unhear the wind noise. it's one of those things that once you hear it, you cannot not hear it anymore. It's all i hear on my drive tonight
When I drive with my ear pods on I don’t hear any noise.
Jazzrock (11-19-21)