IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 Test Drives - Impressions and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 12:31 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Nice finding, first time I heard this after owning the car for a year now. Lexus is awesome with these new technologies I've never thought or heard of. Another plus to the reason why IS350 is a lot more fun to drive than the IS250 :P
To my knowledge it's been in every 250 since the 2IS. It may have been called labeled something different for marketing purposes or whatever, and it may not have been implemented exactly the same way but as far as I know the actual learning of shift points was always there. Constant subjective one-upmanship comments about how much better the 350 is than the 250 are trite at best, not to mention downright tiring. Everyone here is well aware of the pros and cons of each car. "Mine's better cuz ______" is best left to the 12 and under crowd.
Old 08-27-14, 02:17 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, on your display, in info mode, arrow down through all the info (like Eco mode, tire pressure, etc.), and gear display should be the last one if I remember right.
Yes, I have the "gear display" but the display is different. I thought maybe this was the 2015 mode and I have a 2014. Mine just shows the gear I am in but does not show the up and down bars. Am I wrong?????
Old 08-27-14, 03:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry96815
Yes, I have the "gear display" but the display is different. I thought maybe this was the 2015 mode and I have a 2014. Mine just shows the gear I am in but does not show the up and down bars. Am I wrong?????
Not sure then. Mine has the bar display as shown in the link.
Old 08-27-14, 08:39 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Now, I lean towards the more nimble feel of cars with V6 engines. I really really like the modern looks of the new IS350. Funny, cause when I first saw pics of the car, I hated it. Now, I've warmed up to the pics and in person, it's stunning - especially from the rear three-quarter view.

I wish the IS350 just had about 50 more HP and torque. Then it would be perfect. I've read this same sentiment in several other reviews as well. Any 2016 rumors for a model update with a boost in power?
Said all those statements before ...except for the specific angle but I do agree. Only thing I find truly lacking is the low end punch which I LOVED in the S4. I'm hooked on torque like like I am hooked on bass. I actually liked the interior of the S4 as it felt like a single man's car. It was the horrible handling (and reliability) that dissuaded me from the S4. The F30 335i is definitely faster but it didn't have the same kick the S4 did so it just simply felt faster than the 350 to me. So the 335i left me trying to figure out what it does better than the other cars and I just couldn't find the answer. If I wanted speed, S4. If I wanted superior handling with an impressive interior, 350. For the record, I did test drive three 335i's and a 328i.

Some people say the 350 is slow but I don't get it because I have yet to lose on the freeway. Granted I don't race anything above my level, though I did keep up with a 427r ...which leads me to believe that guy was just afraid of going faster because I was right on his bumper (ya it was stupid). Off the line though, I'm not as confident. I'm old enough now to not want to street light race anymore so the power is where I want it ...passing speed on the freeway. And in Sport mode I can boost up 10-15mph without dropping out of 7th gear which is great because when other cars see how easily you speed up from them they are less likely to get in a pissing contest with you.

The car definitely learns your behavior so I drive around normally in Normal mode for my daily grind and get 24-25mpg freeway/city split and it knows I drive like a wimp. When I want the boost I switch to Sport mode and the car's behavior completely changes as I use that mode more aggressively. I personally like to save Sport+ for straight up racing and canyon runs.

Since you like to drive in Manual mode I will say the car does have another limitation that will annoy you. It will auto-shift (yes, in Manual mode its stupid) when it hits redline though it only seems to happen on gears 1 and 2 as I've bounced off the rev limiter in gear 3. Though it does hold the gear as advertised through turns ...and this car is fun as hell in turns. I've lost so many people in turns it is ridiculous.

The new 2015 C-series looks promising but more so on the insanely awesome interior side (minus the ipad nav) as it is not getting the same praise on the way it drives. So maybe more luxurious and less sporty but until it we can test drive it ourselves it is hard to say. If I was buying right now like you are, I would definitely throw it in the mix ...especially since test drives are fun as hell.

Originally Posted by Larry96815
Need to slide the Tach to the right to see the bars.
Old 08-29-14, 07:00 AM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like I have some more test drives to do in the coming months. Should be a fun Fall!
Old 08-29-14, 07:46 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
To my knowledge it's been in every 250 since the 2IS. It may have been called labeled something different for marketing purposes or whatever, and it may not have been implemented exactly the same way but as far as I know the actual learning of shift points was always there. Constant subjective one-upmanship comments about how much better the 350 is than the 250 are trite at best, not to mention downright tiring. Everyone here is well aware of the pros and cons of each car. "Mine's better cuz ______" is best left to the 12 and under crowd.
You seem to love to defend the 250 every time, if I'm not mistaken because you're driving one. I would like to say I went on the RC F forums and had a conversation about how I told them 1.25-1.5 seconds 0-60 differences between the IS350 and RC F is so little of a difference for a car that cost 50k compare to 75k+. They replied all saying 1.5 seconds is A WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Let me tell you what are the differences between an IS250 vs an IS350 and that is a WHOLE 2 SECONDS faster from 0-60.

Back to the main topic of this post, the website only mentioned IS350 having that technology and I believe it's also mentioned on my sticker when I bought the car. Go check your IS250 again and see if the technology is there. I cant believe you can even brought up the previous 2nd generation IS250 and tell us that it also has the technology. I have doubts about that, go search up and post evidence please.

At last, I was just stating how IS350 performs a whole lot better than the IS250 and that is the fact not an opinion. It's better and not worse. Who doesn't compare cars? People are doing it every day on this forum and out there. Last tip for you buddy, go trade in your IS250 before the 2016 IS200T replacement comes out. Just trying to save you some incentives.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-29-14 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 08:23 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You seem to love to defend the 250 every time, if I'm not mistaken because you're driving one. I would like to say I went on the RC F forums and had a conversation about how I told them 1.25-1.5 seconds 0-60 differences between the IS350 and RC F is so little of a difference for a car that cost 50k compare to 75k+. They replied all saying 1.5 seconds is A WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Let me tell you what are the differences between an IS250 vs an IS350 and that is a WHOLE 2 SECONDS faster from 0-60.

Back to the main topic of this post, the website only mentioned IS350 having that technology and I believe it's also mentioned on my sticker when I bought the car. Go check your IS250 again and see if the technology is there. I cant believe you can even brought up the previous 2nd generation IS250 and tell us that it also has the technology. I have doubts about that, go search up and post evidence please.

At last, I was just stating how IS350 performs a whole lot better than the IS250 and that is the fact not an opinion. It's better and not worse. Who doesn't compare cars? People are doing it every day on this forum and out there. Last tip for you buddy, go trade in your IS250 before the 2016 IS200T replacement comes out. Just trying to save you some incentives.
And you seem to love to bash the 250 in all your posts.
Old 08-29-14, 08:49 AM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I would like to say I went on the RC F forums and had a conversation about how I told them 1.25-1.5 seconds 0-60 differences between the IS350 and RC F is so little of a difference for a car that cost 50k compare to 75k+. They replied all saying 1.5 seconds is A WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Let me tell you what are the differences between an IS250 vs an IS350 and that is a WHOLE 2 SECONDS faster from 0-60.
Percentage wise, the difference is nearly identical.
Old 08-29-14, 12:28 PM
dasbuch
Driver

You seem to love to defend the 250 every time, if I'm not mistaken because you're driving one.
I think you're mistaken about a lot of things. I don't recall ever saying I drove either a 250, a 350 or anything else as my current vehicle. I do recall a thread where I corrected this misconception that real world MPG difference between the 250 and 350 is a lot more than the EPA estimates would suggest, and whenever someone makes the assertion that 7.2 0-60 times is a slow car then maybe I disagreed, but it is a wild exaggeration to say I "love to defend the 250". And I've never said anything that contradicts the notion that if you want a car for the track, or need the HP and don't care as much about your fuel bill, the 350 is a better choice.

As far as the learning of shift-points, do not confuse that technology in isolation with packaged features or new marketing terms from Lexus. Rather that come to conclusions about technology you've obviously been oblivious to heretofore, I would suggest going to the 2IS forums and ask around about how long it's been here. I don't feel inspired to spend a lot of time educating someone on a subject when so much has been written about it over there.

About turbo, thanks but no thanks, I think I'd rather have cancer than a car with a turbocharger in it (and I've discussed why in several other posts already), so if that's the only option in the IS after 2016 then I won't be buying one, but thanks for the tip little buddy.
Old 08-29-14, 07:49 PM
Spagolli94
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you're mistaken about a lot of things. I don't recall ever saying I drove either a 250, a 350 or anything else as my current vehicle. I do recall a thread where I corrected this misconception that real world MPG difference between the 250 and 350 is a lot more than the EPA estimates would suggest, and whenever someone makes the assertion that 7.2 0-60 times is a slow car then maybe I disagreed, but it is a wild exaggeration to say I "love to defend the 250". And I've never said anything that contradicts the notion that if you want a car for the track, or need the HP and don't care as much about your fuel bill, the 350 is a better choice.

As far as the learning of shift-points, do not confuse that technology in isolation with packaged features or new marketing terms from Lexus. Rather that come to conclusions about technology you've obviously been oblivious to heretofore, I would suggest going to the 2IS forums and ask around about how long it's been here. I don't feel inspired to spend a lot of time educating someone on a subject when so much has been written about it over there.

About turbo, thanks but no thanks, I think I'd rather have cancer than a car with a turbocharger in it (and I've discussed why in several other posts already), so if that's the only option in the IS after 2016 then I won't be buying one, but thanks for the tip little buddy.
Without having time to read your other posts, why do you not like turbos? My 335 is the first turbocharged car I've ever owned and I really enjoy driving it. There's no lag (you an only notice it if you're really looking for it) and the increase in low-end torque makes the car feel much more punchy at lower RPMs. Thus, even though my car is only .5 seconds quick to 60 than the IS350, it "feels" a lot faster when I'm just cruising around the city. The IS has a decent amount of power, but it's up high so you have to wait for it to build.

Just curious to see your reasons behind being anti-turbo...
Old 08-29-14, 09:35 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by Spagolli94
Without having time to read your other posts, why do you not like turbos? My 335 is the first turbocharged car I've ever owned and I really enjoy driving it. There's no lag (you an only notice it if you're really looking for it) and the increase in low-end torque makes the car feel much more punchy at lower RPMs. Thus, even though my car is only .5 seconds quick to 60 than the IS350, it "feels" a lot faster when I'm just cruising around the city. The IS has a decent amount of power, but it's up high so you have to wait for it to build.

Just curious to see your reasons behind being anti-turbo...
If you're looking for punch in the pedal they can be a good thing. My biggest problem with them is that for the most part, they are being put into smaller engines as a way to boast of artificial MPG ratings. The fuel economy savings of a turbo is only achieved if you drive it in such a way that turbo usage is minimized. If looking to maximize power, fuel efficiency is probably not high on the buyers checklist. There's a bunch of other things that I don't really want to go into because it's subjective and I don't want to try to convince anyone to think like me (and since I've written about it before it would be redundant). I personally prefer the overall feel of a smoother V6 engine over a turbo 4cyl, and once I have a V6 I really don't need/want the extra punch or fuel consumption of a turbo. Anyway that's about as far as I want to take the subject again... most people know if they are a turbo person or not, I'm just not.
Old 08-30-14, 07:22 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know you're in the minority group of people who dislike the turbo engine replacing the IS250, but do you really dislike it to the moment you wish you had cancer instead? Relax buddy I thought you had an IS250 since you love to side with the slower car, isn't that reasonable thinking? Now I get it, you don't have or even test drove either one.

THEN why are you here posting so many personal opinions and arguing over a car you dont own or have experience driving compare to the owners of the vehicle. Read what you just posted even after admitting you don't own either vehicle, you decided to say "I do recall a thread where I corrected this misconception that real world MPG difference between the 250 and 350 is a lot more than the EPA estimates would suggest" What would you know about REAL WORLD mpg differences between the two models if you do not own either one? Do you think you would know better than people who had actually owned both the 3rd gen IS250 and IS350...... like me? Previous traded in was an 07 IS250 as well.

Getting back to the Highlight for this post is the technology part, here's the link again
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex.../Street-Smarts

Quote from Article above "This winter, Lexus’ introduced its latest artificial intelligence technology, the G force Artificial Intelligence (G-AI) system, to be launched on the 2014 IS 350 (available summer 2013). Like ECT-i, G-AI is designed to study an aspect of your driving and personalize the car’s behavior accordingly."

If you keep reading the article which you obviously didn't since the previous post by a member who showed the link. The G force Artificial Intelligence (G-AI) system is only available in the [ 8 gears ] IS350 even the picture on there shows it. Read the article and it tells you how it relates to "SHIFTS GEARS IN IS350 SPORT MODE". Okay it didn't literally stated that IS250 doesn't have this technology but you have a brain right? Therefore only the IS350 has this "specific technology" which I mentioned was a PLUS and obviously BETTER compare to the IS250 which 99.9% I'm certain doesn't have (G-Ai) system. "Who's educating who again"?

Since I've owned both the IS250 and IS350, I can tell you this shifting technology only applies to the IS350 because I can actually "feel" it when driving around corners whereas the IS250 I felt like I was driving my 2007 IS250 but with better handling, which is the reason why I traded back in. The IS350 and IS250 feels totally different when driving around corners and this is where this technology kicks in, "preventing automatic-shifting surprises."

You've mentioned how you disagree with the IS250 being slow in this segment and yes cars are always compare from the same segment of each brand for people to shop around. If saying the IS250 is a slow car is unacceptable for people who don't like a fast car, then that is the same as saying the IS350 is a fast car is unacceptable for people who don't like a slow car...... Please do not be stubborn and accept the fact that it's either "slow" or "fast" in this segment of the game. Facts vs opinion

You're free to hate on the decision and yes "hate" since you told us your desire to get cancer than accept a turbo engine that Lexus is going to make in the future. Unfortunately for you, even LEXUS thinks they need a faster and more fuel efficient "IS250 replacement" which is the IS200T. You're not going to buy an IS250 because Lexus is replacing it with a turbo engine? Why not I thought you prefer the IS250 over the rest of the IS models? Go hurry and buy the IS250 and tell us how you like it before they stop manufacturing it.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 08-30-14 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-30-14, 09:04 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Good to know you're in the minority group of people who dislike the turbo engine replacing the IS250, but do you really dislike it to the moment you wish you had cancer instead?
I guess I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you'd recognize a hyperbole if you saw one. For the record, I never "admitted I didn't own either vehicle". You should probably get your facts straight and maybe polish up the old reading skills if you want anyone to take you seriously.

I think I'll stop right there.