IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Modifications on a Lease to Own?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 09:34 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications on a Lease to Own?

My buddy really likes his IS and actually replaced the exhaust system and in the intake system. Unfortunately, he's still on a lease. The good news is that he wants to purchase the car in the coming months, however he's worried about the close out process.

Does anybody know how it works? I know that at the end of a lease, Lexus will have someone inspect the vehicle to highlight any wear & tear damages - is that only for a lease return or does that apply for all leases, even if he decides to purchase? I told him that by modifying the exhaust system, he already voided the warranty and the inspector, if they do inspect on a lease-to-own, will apply a penalty fee because it's a violation of the lease agreement. I could be wrong. Any advice helps!
Old 08-11-14, 09:58 PM
bigl27x
Driver School Candidate

If ur friend going buy the car then he got nothing to worry about they won't need to inspect it since he buying the car
Old 08-11-14, 10:47 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Awesome. Can anybody else confirm? I know how sneaky dealers can be, so they could charge you because it's still a violation of terms of sale.
Old 08-12-14, 08:17 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSurf
Awesome. Can anybody else confirm? I know how sneaky dealers can be, so they could charge you because it's still a violation of terms of sale.
Same here. My brother had a '11 Infiniti G37 Coupe that he had modified and when he decided to buy it, there was no inspection done. All he did was called Nissan/Infiniti Financial Services and boom, it was done!
Old 08-12-14, 09:14 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I'm going to try to do this week is go to the dealer accessories store and ask if I could install their F-sport exhaust and ask if that voids the warranty, if so, then I'd probably have second thoughts about doing so just in case something happens during the lease term, even if I'm planning to buy the car at the end (most likely will buy it).
Old 08-12-14, 09:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if hes gonna buy out the lease, why does the dealer even care what condition the car is in? They just want the money. Only if they get the car back is when they care whats on the car.
Old 08-12-14, 09:47 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

Call around other Lexus dealers and get fee prices. I had them competing against each other.
Old 08-12-14, 08:03 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SCSurf
My buddy really likes his IS and actually replaced the exhaust system and in the intake system. Unfortunately, he's still on a lease. The good news is that he wants to purchase the car in the coming months, however he's worried about the close out process.

Does anybody know how it works? I know that at the end of a lease, Lexus will have someone inspect the vehicle to highlight any wear & tear damages - is that only for a lease return or does that apply for all leases, even if he decides to purchase? I told him that by modifying the exhaust system, he already voided the warranty and the inspector, if they do inspect on a lease-to-own, will apply a penalty fee because it's a violation of the lease agreement. I could be wrong. Any advice helps!
They don't inspect it if he is buying it. But he's gonna have to pay sales tax on the purchase price. It's not always the best idea to purchase your car at the end of the lease

He should call his finance company to find out about buying it at the end of the lease term. the dealer won't help them with that they'll just referred him to his finance company who he is paying his lease payments to
Old 08-12-14, 11:16 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Thanks guys. I'll relay this thread link to him.