IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Leaving Infiniti for Lexus & the IS350 F Sport... Few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 10:03 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't think Lexus leases used cars. I had my heart set on a '13 G37S a few years ago until curiosity took me to a Lexus dealership and I never looked back. I love the exterior and interior of the Q50 but to me it drives more like the previous IS instead of it's predecessor. Lexus seems to be determined to out sport the competition (which they accomplished IMO) and Infiniti wants to outclass them with a luxurious ride.
Old 08-05-14, 10:39 AM
mello03
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a 2011 G37s and I really liked the car. I don't think the fit and finish of the G37 was as nice as my IS, but I do think the G had a great engine and was a little quicker. Both good cars for sure, but I don't miss my Infiniti at all.
Old 08-05-14, 11:59 AM
stevieb54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We came from an 05 G35 to an IS250, in fact I still have a FX35, didnt want an RX at the time because everyone had one and the body style doesnt do much for me. Anyway its the wifes car otherwise wed have a 350 AWD F sport or maybe the ISF :O))).
Infiniti is very well made and requires less maintenance than all the European cars over time, very fast and handles awesome. Only complaints I have are the Fing door detents are junk and the blind spots from the exterior mirrors on the FX.
Lexus motors are bulletproof, so this will last almost forever.
Old 08-05-14, 01:50 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my father in law has the G37S and I test drove a Q50S. Big ol Meh from me. In terms of comfort and driving pleasure, the Lexus is far and away better, even if it doesn't offer a manual transmission.

Also I would wait for the '15s. Between a supposedly updated nav system, you get air-conditioned seats, which the '14 F sports did not get. It's the ONE feature I really wanted in my car and am pissed I couldn't get.
Old 08-06-14, 12:07 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by JGard18
my father in law has the G37S and I test drove a Q50S. Big ol Meh from me. In terms of comfort and driving pleasure, the Lexus is far and away better, even if it doesn't offer a manual transmission.

Also I would wait for the '15s. Between a supposedly updated nav system, you get air-conditioned seats, which the '14 F sports did not get. It's the ONE feature I really wanted in my car and am pissed I couldn't get.
Haha are there lease for a year? Lease the car for a year and next year get the 2016 turbocharge IS.
Old 08-06-14, 12:15 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Infiniti was never up to the game with the Germans. Sadly only Japanese luxury brand that can compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi would be Lexus. I feel disturbed and annoyed by those driving around with their new Q50 and looking at me on my IS350 F Sport thinking it's ugly and inferior, yet they have no clue what level Infiniti is compare to Lexus.
Pretty much. According to the luxury survey institute rankings, if you ask affluent people (average income ~ $350k/year, average net worth ~$3.5M) what non-exotic car brands they consider to be most prestigious, Lexus almost always ranks top 3. Porsche always ranks 1st, and Lexus and Mercedes always compete for the 2 and 3 spots. BMW is 4th. Audi is 5th. Infiniti is not close to the top 5. I think BMW actually snagged the 3 spot one year, so it's more fair to say Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all jostle for ranks 2-5. Porsche has always been rank 1 and has never been dethroned, which makes sense to me.

Again, the ultra luxury car brands aren't considered like Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, etc. Those are obviously more prestigious than Porsche.
Old 08-06-14, 12:18 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Here's a 2008 article that I have bookmarked -

http://www.autospies.com/news/Luxury...ercedes-29811/

NEW YORK, NY--(MARKET WIRE)--May 7, 2008 -- High net-worth consumers rated Porsche the most prestigious luxury automobile in the 2008 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey from the independent New York City-based Luxury Institute (www.
LuxuryInstitute.com). Respondents who would recommend Porsche say, "They are world-class sports cars for the true connoisseur," and, "They have a good reputation for performance." Lexus and Mercedes ranked second and third respectively.

"In a world ridden with blatant commercial bias, the Luxury Institute's surveys are impartial and objective," said Milton Pedraza, CEO of the Luxury Institute. "We conduct our surveys with independent panels of wealthy consumers with results tabulated by external analytical firms. We have no consulting projects with the brands rated nor do we have advertising dependencies with them. As far as we are aware, this is the only consumer-based survey that can make those claims. Our surveys inform luxury CEOs on the health of their brands in no uncertain terms so they can take action to enhance relationships with prospects and customers. Today more luxury brands rely on the accuracy of the Luxury Institute's survey data than any other research."

Following are the 12 luxury automobile brands that were rated (alphabetical order):

1. Acura
2. Audi
3. BMW
4. Cadillac
5. Infiniti
6. Jaguar
7. Land Rover
8. Lexus
9. Lincoln
10. Mercedes
11. Porsche
12. Volvo

The proprietary Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey is the only measure of the prestige of leading brands among wealthy Americans. A national sample of 1,642 wealthy American consumers, with an average income of $349K and average net-worth of $3.7 million, was surveyed online. Survey results are weighted to match demographic and net worth profiles of the same audience according to the latest Survey of Consumer Finances from The Federal Reserve.
The article only explicitly mentions the top 3 rankings for 2008 (1. Porsche 2. Lexus 3. Mercedes) but the full results are available somewhere. Too lazy to find them now, but BMW was 4th that year and Audi was 5th. Infiniti was like 9th I think.
Old 08-06-14, 12:19 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Oh, and Volvo was last. No surprise there either, I guess. I didn't even realize Volvo was considered a luxury car.
Old 08-06-14, 12:57 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Pretty much. According to the luxury survey institute rankings, if you ask affluent people (average income ~ $350k/year, average net worth ~$3.5M) what non-exotic car brands they consider to be most prestigious, Lexus almost always ranks top 3. Porsche always ranks 1st, and Lexus and Mercedes always compete for the 2 and 3 spots. BMW is 4th. Audi is 5th. Infiniti is not close to the top 5. I think BMW actually snagged the 3 spot one year, so it's more fair to say Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all jostle for ranks 2-5. Porsche has always been rank 1 and has never been dethroned, which makes sense to me.

Again, the ultra luxury car brands aren't considered like Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, etc. Those are obviously more prestigious than Porsche.
I'm more curious why Infiniti advertised their Q50 as an overall better performance car than the 335i M Sport and IS350 F Sport. You can find it on their website or the link provided below:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/sedan/q50...rformance.html
Old 08-06-14, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

There is no big deal with the 2015's. Just get virtually the same care at a far lower price with the 2014's. As far as what you have now, I'd consider buying out the lease and gaining some equity. The Lexus is a nice car, but I don't think you are gaining huge ground with the change-out.
Old 08-06-14, 01:08 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I'm more curious why Infiniti advertised their Q50 as an overall better performance car than the 335i M Sport and IS350 F Sport. You can find it on their website or the link provided below:

Yeah this is why I only look at independent testing agencies like Road and Track or Car and Driver or Edmunds.
Old 08-06-14, 07:20 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you have to do is read. What Infiniti advertised in your link is that the Q50 is "more powerful" than the competition. That directly refers to peak horsepower and at 328hp, they are absolutely correct.

Mike