IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS has a new spoiler option, plus other random tidbits...

Old 07-25-14, 12:41 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^

Before buying the 3is I thought that the spoiler is too much ,since I didn't see any pic of the car with a spoiler .
After buying a 3IS with the spoiler I think the spoiler gives it more aggressive look . Additionally I feel that the 3is looks low optioned and bald without the spoiler ( no offense ).

Here are some pics:

Old 07-25-14, 12:45 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics! I went ahead and told them to add the spoiler to my car.
Old 07-25-14, 01:32 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wednesday
Thanks for the pics! I went ahead and told them to add the spoiler to my car.

Good choice
Old 07-25-14, 01:52 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

If you look at the two spoilers closely that Euro/JDM spoiler people have on 2014 looks much different than the one the OP posted of the addon option of 2015 in this thread.
Old 07-25-14, 03:49 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
If you look at the two spoilers closely that Euro/JDM spoiler people have on 2014 looks much different than the one the OP posted of the addon option of 2015 in this thread.
Yup, noticed that too specONE.

As dasbuch pointed out earlier in the thread, I think the U.S. spoiler option looks way too much like a bolt on accessory and retracts from the original design.

If the spoiler was more "integrated" (as in, you don't actually see where the end of the original truck is and where this spoiler begins like in this picture: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-image010.png), it would look A LOT better imho.

The spoiler is a lot more "integrated" in the Europe/JDM (foreign) markets. Compare the picture of the spoiler in my link above to the pictures that AMNss posted. There is a huge difference and the spoiler in AMNss' pictures looks a lot more "clean" to me because you don't see a separation.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 07-25-14, 04:28 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

But the Euro/JDM spoiler has this weird shape in certain angles at the end of the spoiler. Creates odd shadows in certain angles from the pictures i've seen which makes it look like its not even sitting flush on the trunk.

You can see what i mean in this photo.
http://m3.miiduu.com/store3/3846/ima...Spoiler-01.jpg
Old 07-25-14, 04:48 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

I would take any of them , the US option spoiler or the EU one.
Anyway we will have to wait for the 2015 specs , maybe the EU 3IS will get this new spoiler too.
Old 07-25-14, 04:48 PM
zarraz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the trd spoiler looks the best, but they don,t sell it in North America
Old 07-25-14, 06:05 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nytefury
Also, don't see fog lights for fsport or did I miss it?
Naw, you didn't miss it - we still don't get fog lights in our F-Sports here, even though there's literally no reason why not, other than possibly cost or purposeful withholding for future model year additions (they're already in most other markets, and could at least be a paid option for us - wtf Lexus U.S.A.?!?)...

...I'll update my original post to include this as well, thanks for bringing it up!
Old 07-27-14, 06:04 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Spoiler looks good.
Old 07-27-14, 09:30 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree the 2015 spoiler looks good to me.

When I got my 2IS the dealer found the exact car I wanted with all options except the rear park distance and the spoiler. I decided I didn't need the park distance with the navi but they held the car when it got to the port and installed the spoiler at the port in Jax. I'm so glad because they did a excellent job putting the spoiler on at the port.

Thanks for the pics and the new catalog brochure link.

I'll probably be waiting for the 2016 with the trackpad instead of mouse and hopefully more HP in the engine.
Old 08-05-14, 09:38 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by magne
All of these options was avalible as extra add ons on the EU lexus IS when it was relased a year ago..

Had the pre sales brouchure with pictures of the the rims, spoiler and exhaust. That brouchure I got sometime around may 2013..

Sometimes I can't belive how far behind the US market is when it comes to lexus parts.

Btw. The only option out of all avalible parts and packages for the f-sport in Europe (Norway) that can't be ordred, is the rear power sunshade.
EVERYTHING else can be added with the f-sport... except for the 350 version. We only get the hybrid and the 250 in europe.
Originally Posted by rayaans
We've have these options for about a year now in the UK.
It really is quite frustrating to have all these artificial limitations in place for all the different markets - I feel like Lexus is generating unnecessary ill will with their fans, and leaving money on the table due to lost sales (even though their sales numbers are going up, it never hurts to have even more, right?). I can understanding Lexus USA wanting to keep their cars under certain price points to be competitive, but if a customer is willing to custom order a car then all possible options should be available (since price is obviously not the priority anymore), right??

Originally Posted by moose66
This is sort of like fashion. Some of the things marketed in the European and Asian markets eventually make it to the US.
Except the difference is that fashion is mostly about aesthetics, whereas many of the unavailable features in the US (w/ F-Sport anyway) actually serve some functional utility:

- "parking assist" would be quite beneficial, especially in the front to help preserve that F-Sport grill(!)
- "lane departure alert" can help prevent unintentional swaying
- "fog lamps" assist with visibility in certain suboptimal weather conditions
- "automatic high beams" can help prevent blinding drivers of oncoming cars
- "auto intermittent wipers" would be a nice convenience feature
- "power/memory seats/steering column/mirrors" are a great convenience to many people
- (etc.)

...in crippling the F-Sport options for the US market (likely so that they can be announced as "upgrades" in future model years), Lexus has arguably made the IS a less convenient, safe, and fun car vs in other markets! Oh well, I'm sure I'm still gonna love my 2015 IS350 AWD F-Sport once it arrives (just not as much as I could have, if optioned the way I would've wanted it!)...
Old 08-05-14, 09:51 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by magne
All of these options was avalible as extra add ons on the EU lexus IS when it was relased a year ago..

Had the pre sales brouchure with pictures of the the rims, spoiler and exhaust. That brouchure I got sometime around may 2013..

Sometimes I can't belive how far behind the US market is when it comes to lexus parts.

Btw. The only option out of all avalible parts and packages for the f-sport in Europe (Norway) that can't be ordred, is the rear power sunshade.
EVERYTHING else can be added with the f-sport... except for the 350 version. We only get the hybrid and the 250 in europe.
Originally Posted by rayaans
We've have these options for about a year now in the UK.
Originally Posted by AMNss
^

Before buying the 3is I thought that the spoiler is too much ,since I didn't see any pic of the car with a spoiler .
After buying a 3IS with the spoiler I think the spoiler gives it more aggressive look . Additionally I feel that the 3is looks low optioned and bald without the spoiler ( no offense ).
Quick question to those of you in other markets who have already had spoiler options for the 3IS - have any of you ever seen the exact spoiler which I posted in the very beginning of this thread? All the spoiler pics I've seen so far have actually been different, so I'm wondering if the factory direct option from Lexus (for U.S. market 2015) is actually brand new?
Old 08-05-14, 10:29 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Just my opinion, I think the rear spoiler looks wrong on the 3IS. On the 2IS body style, I felt it looked naked and too plain without it. But, the rear lip looked flush with the trunk and like it was part of the car. This option looks bolt-on to me. Plus, the 2IS body style in it's initial incarnation was fairly plain, so things like the spoiler and some of the later additions added some charisma and appeal to it. But the 3IS was born with a lot of charisma built into the basic body design, and trying to add more lines just for upsell purposes starts to make it look a little too busy.

The reason the rear spoiler looked great on the 2IS, I think was because the trunk was mostly straight or downsloping looking without it. The 3IS already has its *** in the air, turned up a little. It doesn't need a bolt-on Brazilian butt lift or whatever -- cheapens the look.

As I said, one man's opinion only
Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Yup, noticed that too specONE.

As dasbuch pointed out earlier in the thread, I think the U.S. spoiler option looks way too much like a bolt on accessory and retracts from the original design.

If the spoiler was more "integrated" (as in, you don't actually see where the end of the original truck is and where this spoiler begins like in this picture: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-image010.png), it would look A LOT better imho.

The spoiler is a lot more "integrated" in the Europe/JDM (foreign) markets. Compare the picture of the spoiler in my link above to the pictures that AMNss posted. There is a huge difference and the spoiler in AMNss' pictures looks a lot more "clean" to me because you don't see a separation.

~ Im2bz2p345

It's obviously a matter of opinion, but I rather like this particular spoiler option - I don't mind the "bolt-on" look actually, 'cuz I think it frames the rear of the car nicely, along with the bumper at the bottom. From a side view of the car, I also think it helps even out the look by protruding the top of the trunk out/back a little bit, since the rear bumper already juts out more than the rest of the car. And because of the curve carved out of the middle for the Lexus emblem, it's obvious this spoiler is made specifically for this car, and is not just some random spoiler add-on. Besides, in opting for this car, and especially the F-Sport model, I'm already choosing a less "clean" or "smooth" look, and instead going for more "aggressive" and "sporty" (look at the front of the car - it's full of angles and jagged edges!) - this spoiler simply continues along that theme for me...

Originally Posted by specONE
nice, thanks for sharing. Time i go buy that spoiler for my '14
=D
Originally Posted by NickD82
That spoiler looks great!
Originally Posted by AMNss

Good choice
Originally Posted by steig
Spoiler looks good.
Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I agree the 2015 spoiler looks good to me.
...I agree with these guys! One of my biggest pet peeves with cars is ugly rear ends (one of the main reasons I've always found Nissans/Infinitis to be ugly!) - my Audi A4 (B5 generation) has a nicely sculpted behind, but the subsequent B6 and B7 generations were way too "bubbly butt" and quite ugly in my opinion - their current B8 behind finally looks good again, but I've had it with Audi's unreliability!! The 3IS rear end looks "ok" to me, but even with the slightly upturned lip on the trunk, I feel it could still use a little more character, which this spoiler helps provide (for me, at least - this is all opinion!)...
Old 08-05-14, 01:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Don't forget the base model now joins in the standard LED Fogs dept...

~ Joe Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 IS has a new spoiler option, plus other random tidbits...