Remote touch vs Dial Knob - 2014 IS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 06:24 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Remote touch vs Dial **** - 2014 IS350 F Sport

Hello,

First post here. I'm looking to buy my first Lexus. Why do some cars come with the Remote Touch and other with the standard dial ****? Is there a difference?

Do all IS350 F Sports come with Navigation standard?

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...-dashboard.jpg
http://limitedslipblog.files.wordpre...s-is350-10.jpg

Thank you
Old 07-23-14, 06:28 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

and this is a picture of the interior of the car in question. Is this something I should avoid?

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DM.../N15245/06.jpg
Old 07-23-14, 06:34 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dial **** is for non-navigation models. If you don't need or want built in nav, Its kind of nice because you get tactical feedback (easy to use without looking at the screen), it's not subject to the slowness issues some have reported, and has a tray to keep your phone in.

F-sports are available with or without nav.
Old 07-23-14, 06:42 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

When I build the car on Lexus.com, even with the cheapest F-sport package, it says that the car has Navigation. In fact, adding a navigation is not an option... I'm a bit confused.

The car is out of state that I'm looking to have delivered as there are no RWD cars in Illinois.
Old 07-23-14, 08:22 PM
dasbuch
Driver

The build configurator operates off zip code, and there are differences in specific configuration options in different zip codes, so it's possible that F-sport unconditionally comes with nav in that particular area. Not sure about that one. In general (or maybe I should say in some zip codes) you can get an F-sport with or without nav.

The picture you posted in post #2 depicts an F-sport without Nav (you can see the dial and the phone tray I mentioned on the console in that pic).
Old 07-23-14, 08:53 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

Hmmm...and I thought I was getting a stellar deal.

Thanks for your help.

The search continues!!!
Old 07-24-14, 09:02 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Sorry for the rather basic question, but what exactly are the differences in the pictures that you posted in the original post and in your second post?

I am seeing cup holders, a little cubby, and then a dial **** to control the screen in all of your pictures.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 07-24-14 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 09:06 AM
dasbuch
Driver

His first pics were a non F-Sport with different color interior.
Old 07-24-14, 09:48 AM
criticalgt
Pole Position

The fist pictures were so I can show better what I was talking about... the second picture is of the actual car I'm trying to purchase which is an is350 Fsport.

So the dealer is telling me that the car does have a NAV but it has the dial **** instead...??? wtf?

I've asked for pictures...
Old 07-24-14, 10:18 AM
Celledral
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember a year back when configuring my 3is, it gave me separate options for Nav, ML audio, Fsport. Now it's either fully loaded or base.
Old 07-24-14, 11:53 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by criticalgt
The fist pictures were so I can show better what I was talking about... the second picture is of the actual car I'm trying to purchase which is an is350 Fsport.

So the dealer is telling me that the car does have a NAV but it has the dial **** instead...??? wtf?

I've asked for pictures...
I'm stumped about that, then. I haven't seen the dial combined with the nav before.
Old 07-24-14, 11:54 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by Celledral
I remember a year back when configuring my 3is, it gave me separate options for Nav, ML audio, Fsport. Now it's either fully loaded or base.
I wonder if the website is hooked into actual inventory which is thinning because 2014 model production stopped?
Old 07-24-14, 11:56 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
His first pics were a non F-Sport with different color interior.
Thank you both for the quick responses and clarification. Now I understand better what was being asked by the OP - I guess that instead of all pictures with the dial ****, I was expecting to see two different sets of pictures 1) an IS350 with the remote touch and 2) an IS350 with the dial **** -- this way asking what the difference between would make more sense (to me anyway) lol. I'm too much of a visual person.

But the OP wasn't only asking about the difference between having the two different controls of the display, but also inquiring why if all IS350 F-Sports come with navigation as STANDARD.

So basically what can be concluded regarding the display controls:

Navigation models (regardless of F-Sport trim or not) have the 2nd generation remote touch "pad" (that's what I call it anyway). Here are two great pictures of it:

Non-Navigation models (regardless of F-Sport trim or not) have the dial **** to control the display screen. It's surprisingly difficult to find a close up on JUST the "dial ****" online (despite looking through several Google Image pages). If anyone that own the non-navigation model could take a closeup of just the dial **** in a high resolution image, it would be awesome to reference for the future.

The best picture that I could find is the same one that criticalgt posted:

Once again the **** that we are referring to is the one to the RIGHT of the gear shift (NOT the one below it which has "Eco" "Normal" "Sport").

Thanks all,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 07-24-14 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:28 PM
criticalgt
Pole Position

nailed it...

Cars with NAV could come with or without ML.

I've only heard the standard audio and that was pretty decent.
In all honesty, I'm coming from an 2011 STI and the standard audio in the IS blew me away. Car before that was a E46 BMW with Harmman Kardon and that was awesome.

Is the ML worth the extra cash?
Old 07-24-14, 04:20 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the ML worth the extra cash?
In my opinion... yes. I did a side by side at the dealership with my own music and there was a clear difference to me.

One salesman tried to tell me that if I weren't listening to something in 5.1 that I wouldn't hear a difference, and that just isn't the case.

Quick Reply: Remote touch vs Dial Knob - 2014 IS350 F Sport