IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 Replaces Light Gray with Stratus Gray? NO TOUCH PAD?

Old 07-23-14, 06:07 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Replaces Light Gray with Stratus Gray? NO TOUCH PAD?

So I've looked at the little changes coming into the 2015 model. One of the changes is replacing Light Gray with Stratus Gray. I tried to google the images, but it isn't showing me what I want to see. Any idea on how the new Stratus Gray looks like? Why replace the Light Gray? I got Light Gray Trim on my 2014 and now I felt like I own a less valuable car

I also heard the Piano Black Trim is going to fill the cabin especially the center console? I may try to swap out the 2014 plastic like material for the Piano Black when they have the parts for sale. Piano Black definitely would look more luxurious.

Wait a minute, so they aren't replacing the mouse control for the touch pad and repositioning the cup holders? I was looking forward to them making those changes and put more leather pad along the side of the center console like the RC350.

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 07-23-14 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 06:18 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the piano black interior pieces are supposed to be an option for those who didn't like the wood look in the leather/luxury package options. Even though it's real wood some reviewers felt it didn't look real in some colors.
Old 07-23-14, 07:35 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
I think the piano black interior pieces are supposed to be an option for those who didn't like the wood look in the leather/luxury package options. Even though it's real wood some reviewers felt it didn't look real in some colors.
i have the luxury package and the wood looks okay (matte-finished wood would have looked immensely better, though), although i might be interested, depending on how the piano black trim looks, in switching the the center console piece(s) with the new option provided that i deem the new trim (subjectively) acceptable with regard to aesthetic and monetary worth.

edit: is it even new trim, though? or is it just the same black trim seen on base models, i.e., where the wood is currently on, say, my vehicle, but expanded to wider portions of the MY15 vehicle, e.g., the center console area?

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-23-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-23-14, 08:10 AM
dasbuch
Driver

I thought the wood looks fine too, but whenever Lexus can remove any possible objection from a buyer's mind, it gives the salesman a way to make them happy (so now if they want the luxury package but don't want the wood, they will have an option). It's lower-hanging fruit to introduce something like this as an option than to, for example start making leather an option on F-sport seats (because the whole seat design is different and the Fsport bolstering may not hold up well if done in leather -- this would be a much more expensive change for them and perhaps not worth it overall). The interior pieces are easier to swap out without major design changes.

I'm not sure about the specifics but this is what I understand it to be. Wood is not going away to the best of my understanding. I don't have much more info than that.
Old 07-23-14, 08:28 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

thanks for the information! indeed, it would be a shame if the wood trim were to disappear on the IS, although i also don't see that happening. perhaps, though, the wood trim will be improved upon as the generation ages.

as an aside, i don't imagine many would select the luxury package and opt for the black trim in lieu of wood. i may be totally wrong, though.
Old 07-23-14, 01:25 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

touchpad and 200t turbo model likely available for 2016 model...
Old 07-24-14, 01:31 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Seems like Lexus wants to know how consumers would like the touch pad before making the replace for the 2015 IS.
Or they might just want to save another goody for the 2016......
Sucks to get the first year of the new generation!

No one have any idea how the new Stratus Gray interior would look like?
Old 07-24-14, 08:36 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

2016 is supposedly the updated engines with Atkinson cycle also for mpg, like what the RCF has
Old 07-24-14, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I read that the black finished metal in the console that seems to scratch so easily will be replaced with some type of gray material. Not sure what that means in relation to the piano black.
Old 07-24-14, 07:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its more matte black, can see it in the RC interior
Old 07-25-14, 01:07 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Stratus Gray is just a TAD darker, infact it's barely noticeable the difference.

Old 08-05-14, 11:29 AM
OrionLex
Driver

Here are the color and trim options for 2015 (pg 24-25) vs 2014 (pt 28-29), straight from their brochures (for U.S. market) - a few notes...

- center console (including mouse control & cup holders) remains the same for 2015 (so no touchpad), except for change to a matte finish
- wood trim isn't going anywhere (why would it? although I don't like it personally...)
- Stratus Gray (2015) and Light Gray (2014) don't look all that different, but it's hard to tell from these brochure images
- Atomic Silver (exterior) is now available for F-Sport
- Flaxen (interior) is no longer available with Nebula Gray Pearl, Silver Lining Metallic, or Matador Red Mica
- Black (interior) is no longer available with Deep Sea Mica
- Illustrious Piano Black (trim) is only available with Nuluxe
- Rioja Red (interior) continues to be available only with Nuluxe
- Ultra White (exterior), Rioja Red (interior) and Silver Performance (trim) options continue to be exclusive to F-Sport only

...I don't understand the method to any of this madness, but I guess I don't care anymore 'cuz I'm excitedly waiting for my Atomic Silver (ext) / Rioja Red (int) / Silver Performance (trim)!!
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Replaces Light Gray with Stratus Gray? NO TOUCH PAD?-lexus-is-brochure-2015-.jpg   2015 Replaces Light Gray with Stratus Gray? NO TOUCH PAD?-lexus-is-brochure-2014-.jpg  
Old 08-05-14, 01:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I think some people give a touch pad more credit than it deserves.

With the mouse, you know you can move from one edge of the screen to the opposite edge with a single motion without needing to take your hands off the mouse at all. Not sure how well the touch pad would compare. Particularly if you've just handled a cold drink and your fingers are wet from the condensation. If you've ever tried to navigate a laptop with any moisture on the pad, it can be quite frustrating.

A touch pad will also undoubtedly accumulate a lot more dirt around the edges, along with more wear around the center. (unless they follow apples lead and use a glass touch pad)

Personally I think a touch pad would be the worst implementation out of all the technologies we see today. (touch screen, iDrive style ****, mouse)

Last edited by Ramon; 08-05-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 02:51 PM
nytefury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ramon
I think some people give a touch pad more credit than it deserves.

With the mouse, you know you can move from one edge of the screen to the opposite edge with a single motion without needing to take your hands off the mouse at all. Not sure how well the touch pad would compare. Particularly if you've just handled a cold drink and your fingers are wet from the condensation. If you've ever tried to navigate a laptop with any moisture on the pad, it can be quite frustrating.

A touch pad will also undoubtedly accumulate a lot more dirt around the edges, along with more wear around the center. (unless they follow apples lead and use a glass touch pad)

Personally I think a touch pad would be the worst implementation out of all the technologies we see today. (touch screen, iDrive style ****, mouse)
This is exactly my thoughts too!

I personally think that the touch pad would be a victim of more wear and tear than the mouse would be.

Last edited by nytefury; 08-05-14 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 02:57 PM
CJW
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The mouse is ok for menu selection, especially if it was quicker. But it's horrible for text entry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Replaces Light Gray with Stratus Gray? NO TOUCH PAD?