IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Worst dealer service ever @ Maplewood Lexus in MN!

Old 07-20-14, 01:04 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think that if the general consensus of the various members who have contributed to your thread is in alignment with the general consensus of the dealership to which you went, then you probably should revisit your own held notions of mistreatment and reasonability.

food for thought.
Well perhaps but fact is I brought 1 concern and 2 issues to the dealer and they choose to do nothing on all of these. Is the problem major issues? No. Are 2 issues real issues that should be covered under warranty? Yes. Did dealer treated/accused me of lying about the scratch? Yes. Do I considered this experience bad? Yes. I'm ok if others don't agree with my assessment.
Old 07-20-14, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
You must work for a Lexus dealer because that is exactly how I felt like I was being treated. So I'm a bad customer if I want minor defects addressed?
You're a bad customer because your expectations are unreasonable, and you obviously don't respect the dealer's point of view.

How can you possibly expect someone to believe you that a scratch was introduced before you bought the car when you have already owned the car for 3 months? Just the fact that you don't understand what the issue is here shows me that you're a completely irrational customer.

Lets say someone came up to you and said "You parked next to me 3 months ago, and I have a door ding, I want you to repair it because obviously it happened when you parked next to me 3 months ago...and could not have possibly happened in the three months I've owned the car since then". Would you pay up?

When you come in ranting and raving about crazy things...dealers treat you like you're crazy and don't take you seriously. This is what has happened to you. Remember dealers get paid for warranty work, so this idea that the dealer doesn't want to fix things under warranty doesn't make any sense. They just have to prove the issue to Lexus to get paid, and if they don't think they can they won't do it.

The only issue that could possibly be legitimate is this button not sitting right in the steering wheel. Brake dusting and this scratch you're totally wrong on.
Old 07-20-14, 02:52 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post a pic of the button issue? I dont really understand but seeing it would help explain what your talking about. And, IMO i think the dealer was right 100%.
Old 07-20-14, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
When it comes to customer service, the customer is always right..
Just want to comment on this. I'm in sales, and the old addage "the customer is always right" is not correct. In fact...oftentimes the customer is wrong, and oftentimes its the salesperson or customer service person's job to help set them on the path to being right.

Some customers cannot be pleased, and will never be satisfied. If this particular customer came into my office ranting like this about things this miniscule...I'd ask him to leave. Plenty of other customers out there who can be satisfied...its a mistake to waste valuable time and energy on a customer thats just going to take and take from you and never wind up being rewarded.

I also missed above, now we all "work for the Lexus dealer" in some massive conspiracy to deprive this guy of his brake pads and his ACC button. Dealer did the right thing showing this guy the door. if I were the service manager, I'd refuse to serve him in the future too (dealers will do that for especially unreasonable or belligerent customers).
Old 07-20-14, 03:55 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just want to comment on this. I'm in sales, and the old addage "the customer is always right" is not correct. In fact...oftentimes the customer is wrong, and oftentimes its the salesperson or customer service person's job to help set them on the path to being right.

Some customers cannot be pleased, and will never be satisfied. If this particular customer came into my office ranting like this about things this miniscule...I'd ask him to leave. Plenty of other customers out there who can be satisfied...its a mistake to waste valuable time and energy on a customer thats just going to take and take from you and never wind up being rewarded.

I also missed above, now we all "work for the Lexus dealer" in some massive conspiracy to deprive this guy of his brake pads and his ACC button. Dealer did the right thing showing this guy the door. if I were the service manager, I'd refuse to serve him in the future too (dealers will do that for especially unreasonable or belligerent customers).
I know the customer is not always right. But when you work in sales, this statement is somewhat absolute lol. I had to suck it up and side with the customer, even though in my head I was thinking "He/She is wrong".

I like working with people and helping them, but I'm glad I don't do sales anymore. Some people have insane expectations.
Old 07-20-14, 04:42 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Although I do not side with OP's position with respect to the service he received from Lexus I do however believe the statement quoted above (especially highlighted in bold) sounds a bit harsh and in some instances not necessarily correct. We, customers, are willing pay high premium for luxury cars not only for the physical product that we receive in return but also for the intangible product in the form of high quality service that we expect to receive from auto manufacturers, Lexus is being in this instance. I understand that some customers have sometimes unreasonable expectations and dealers may not like that it is however important that dealers maintain positive, respectful attitude toward a customer and try to educate them. Proper and informative communication will likely settle most disagreements.
Old 07-20-14, 05:30 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

As stated before since I didn't cause the scratch I assume it came with the car. I think you would definitely know if some event caused by you introduced the scratch. So is it your assessment that if you didn't see it initially you scratched it?
No, you wouldn't necessarily know. You've never broken a nail, and not known how it happened? Noticed a cut on your hand that you weren't sure how you got? A mosquito bite? Did your body come with these defects out of the womb?

You must work for a Lexus dealer because that is exactly how I felt like I was being treated. So I'm a bad customer if I want minor defects addressed?
I, in fact, do not work for any dealership. I do however have a moral compass that can judge between right and wrong, and you're in the wrong here. You're a bad customer for trying to shift the blame on these "defects" and make them someone else's responsibility, in addition to bashing a dealership for your own lack of sense.

Still waiting to see a picture of these defective adjustable button.
Old 07-20-14, 06:38 PM
wasupdog
Driver School Candidate

it's hard to defend dealerships but this thread title will show up in search engines for years to come.
Old 07-20-14, 08:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RoiteTrom
I know the customer is not always right. But when you work in sales, this statement is somewhat absolute lol. I had to suck it up and side with the customer, even though in my head I was thinking "He/She is wrong".

I like working with people and helping them, but I'm glad I don't do sales anymore. Some people have insane expectations.
I've been in sales for many years, I'm very good at it...the customer is not always right...and you don't have to pretend they are in order to be a good salesperson. Good salespeople are not "yes men". Good salespeople help the customer figure out what they need and want. A salesperson who just does whatever and says whatever a customer wants is of no value to anybody.

Originally Posted by salvadorik
We, customers, are willing pay high premium for luxury cars not only for the physical product that we receive in return but also for the intangible product in the form of high quality service that we expect to receive from auto manufacturers, Lexus is being in this instance. I understand that some customers have sometimes unreasonable expectations and dealers may not like that it is however important that dealers maintain positive, respectful attitude toward a customer and try to educate them.
I don't disagree, but the issue is one of respect. If a customer walks in the place disrespecting the dealership and the personnel and has completely unreasonable expectations, there is nothing the dealership can do to satiate that person. Its a notion of entitlement. Just because you pay money for a product and you pay money for a service doesn't mean you own the place and they have to do whatever you want. A lot of people feel that way, but the world doesn't actually work that way. Some people you can't educate. What I posted above assumes that he acted in as belligerent a manner with the dealer's staff as he has here.

Certainly the dealership should remain positive and respectful, even if they aren't being treated the same way in return...but that doesn't mean they have to continue to repeatedly take abuse. I've fired plenty of customers and clients in my day, I've always done so with respect and courtesy...but theres no reason to do business with belligerent entitled people.

Note the OP hasn't said anything about the dealer's staff being disrespectful, he's just pissed because they didn't bow to his feet and do whatever he wanted. Good for them.
Old 07-20-14, 08:34 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=SW13GS;8633882]I've been in sales for many years, I'm very good at it...the customer is not always right...and you don't have to pretend they are in order to be a good salesperson. Good salespeople are not "yes men". Good salespeople help the customer figure out what they need and want. A salesperson who just does whatever and says whatever a customer wants is of no value to anybody.

Don't get me wrong, I don't always side with the customer! Its only when they're stubborn and won't listen to me. That's when I go "Meh, have it your way".
Old 07-20-14, 08:50 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I hate, and yes that's a strong word, but I hate people like you. (OP)

You clearly have ZERO common sense, they should just take your car back and never allow you to buy a Lexus again. That's how STUPID you sound.

Brake dust? really? All IS' have this issue, LIVE WITH IT!
A button? I'm speechless for this.
A scratch after MONTHS of owning the car?! Should they provide you with a full detail as well to make the car look like new again....

WOW, simply WOW!!
Old 07-20-14, 09:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

GeorgeR please exit this thread. You can disagree politely without the aggressive name calling.
Old 07-20-14, 09:30 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I'm just sharing my personal experience and how I felt afterwards and I'm ok if you don't agree with my assessment but personal attacks are unwarranted.

This is my first car purchase in 13 years and I have to say it seems I assumed wrong that I could bring these issues during my 6mo checkup and assumed that dealer would trust the owner to tell the truth (to his best knowledge) and address these minor issues without any hesitations. As mentioned brake pads were more of a concern and I was hoping dealer would offer an exchange but that is not my main complaint.

Below are some pictures as people have asked for.

Picture of left side of steering wheel button height I consider normal

Picture of right side of steering wheel buttons where ACC button is sunk in lower then button above making it hard to press.

Picture of steering wheel scratch from normal driver view. Yeah I know you don't see it. That's the point. While I agree that some people's question of how do I know I didn't cause it is good question, all I can say is to have some event that would cause the plastic trim to be scratched would be something I would definitely notice and I would tell the truth if that was the case and not ask for repair. Fact is nothing like that happened. I'm not sure what type of predelivery inspection dealer does but how can they say for sure this wasn't there or it didn't happen when they took the steering wheel off and installed my fog light stalk?

Picture of the scratch when zoomed in.
Old 07-20-14, 09:38 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I've been in sales for many years, I'm very good at it...the customer is not always right...and you don't have to pretend they are in order to be a good salesperson. Good salespeople are not "yes men". Good salespeople help the customer figure out what they need and want. A salesperson who just does whatever and says whatever a customer wants is of no value to anybody.

I don't disagree, but the issue is one of respect. If a customer walks in the place disrespecting the dealership and the personnel and has completely unreasonable expectations, there is nothing the dealership can do to satiate that person. Its a notion of entitlement. Just because you pay money for a product and you pay money for a service doesn't mean you own the place and they have to do whatever you want. A lot of people feel that way, but the world doesn't actually work that way. Some people you can't educate. What I posted above assumes that he acted in as belligerent a manner with the dealer's staff as he has here.

Certainly the dealership should remain positive and respectful, even if they aren't being treated the same way in return...but that doesn't mean they have to continue to repeatedly take abuse. I've fired plenty of customers and clients in my day, I've always done so with respect and courtesy...but theres no reason to do business with belligerent entitled people.

Note the OP hasn't said anything about the dealer's staff being disrespectful, he's just pissed because they didn't bow to his feet and do whatever he wanted. Good for them.
SW13GS,

You are making a lot of assumptions and stating things which are not correct. I never disrespected anyone at the dealership. I gave them my list of concerns/issues and waited 1 hour 45 minutes (even though they told me it would be 1 hour wait) for them to get back to me in their waiting room. When I went to check to see if my car was done service manager asked me to show him to scratch because he couldn't find it. I showed him and he told me he would have to check with sales manager and get back to me so I went back to work. When he called next day and told me that they wouldn't do anything is when I contacted Lexus customer service.

I appreciate you contributing to the thread but please do not portray me to be something I wasn't.
Old 07-20-14, 09:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean...I see what you mean about the button but I wouldn't bother to do anything about that.

You have to see the dealers position about the scratch. You say why shouldn't they believe you, but why should they believe you? You also never addressed my hypothetical question about the door ding. If someone came up to you and said you dinged their door 3 months ago and they never got around to telling you...but could offer no proof...would you fix their door? Bear in mind this is a stranger...not a friend. Be honest.

As for the promised hour being an hour and 45 minutes...have you ever been to a dealership before? Ever been to a doctors office? I have literally never waited in a car at any dealership or mechanic that was ready when they said it would be lol.

You need to adjust your expectations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst dealer service ever @ Maplewood Lexus in MN!