IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 AWD as my first car?

Old 07-14-14, 10:27 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 AWD as my first car?

Hi everybody, I just turned 17 two days ago and I'm looking to purchase my first car. Obviously I'm here to ask you guys if the IS350 awd is a good choice. I have about $35,500 saved from the past few years. My father will also give me his old car (he is getting a new one too). He is giving me his 2008 LS600hL. The car is worth about 35k. So if I sell his car I will have enough for the 350, and some left over for general savings and investing. But what I'm here to ask is, is this a reliable first car? My parents are huge fans of Lexus they claim that they have never had a single problem with any of their Lexus's. Pease tell me any main problems and inconveniences this vehicle has. The AWD is necessary because i plan to drive this car to more northern states for weekend skiing.

I plan on making 2 upgrades to the car, TRD rear spoiler, and TRD Diffuser, that is all.
Old 07-14-14, 10:30 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus' are extremely reliable.
My advice to you is to drive the '08 for a year then consider purchasing a new car.
That year's worth of experience will be much needed.
My two cents, from a 25 year old.
Old 07-14-14, 10:39 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdotk
Lexus' are extremely reliable.
My advice to you is to drive the '08 for a year then consider purchasing a new car.
That year's worth of experience will be much needed.
My two cents, from a 25 year old.
I actually thought about that and maybe saving my money to start something. Investing, business, saving.
Old 07-14-14, 10:48 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn bro, how do you save up that much money at 17 yrs old LOL.

Anyways, when I was your age, I also wanted the IS ( along with EVO, STI, G35, E46, etc) but never got the chance to. Now to look back at it, I was happy I never got it. I wouldn't have been able to afford to maintain such luxury/sports cars (insurance, mechanical repairs, etc). By all means, if you can, go for it. All I could really tell you is to take car of your car and be safe. I don't have any issues with my 2014 IS350 F except that one time that NAV froze for like 10 minutes lol. I drive to work for about 4 miles, and the same going back. My MPG is ****, 16 MPG, since it's all city driving no more than 50 mph speed but happy that I don't drive far at all so I only gas it up every 2-3 weeks.

It's good you're consulting forums, since you'll get a bunch of grown ups giving you advice. I don't consider my self a grown up, I'm only 25, but I promised myself when I graduate and get a job, I will get the car that I've always wanted, if not, a better one.
Old 07-14-14, 10:57 AM
NebulaIS
Rookie

If I was in your boat financially when I was 17 my username would be Happyman too. Yeah it's defs reliable and if it's what you really want go for it...my advice as someone with some age behind them though is to drive the LS until the wheels fall off and keep your $35k for travel or investing. Honestly, I love cars but definitely regret spending as much as I did on them when I was younger.
Old 07-14-14, 11:26 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drbazing
Damn bro, how do you save up that much money at 17 yrs old LOL.

Anyways, when I was your age, I also wanted the IS ( along with EVO, STI, G35, E46, etc) but never got the chance to. Now to look back at it, I was happy I never got it. I wouldn't have been able to afford to maintain such luxury/sports cars (insurance, mechanical repairs, etc). By all means, if you can, go for it. All I could really tell you is to take car of your car and be safe. I don't have any issues with my 2014 IS350 F except that one time that NAV froze for like 10 minutes lol. I drive to work for about 4 miles, and the same going back. My MPG is ****, 16 MPG, since it's all city driving no more than 50 mph speed but happy that I don't drive far at all so I only gas it up every 2-3 weeks.

It's good you're consulting forums, since you'll get a bunch of grown ups giving you advice. I don't consider my self a grown up, I'm only 25, but I promised myself when I graduate and get a job, I will get the car that I've always wanted, if not, a better one.
Been saving and I invested some money with a great outcome.
Old 07-14-14, 11:36 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Not only that but I was at the dealership the other day and they said that they had one going for 42k with 1,000 miles on it. That's a good deal, right?
Old 07-14-14, 11:48 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

With that amount of "cash" you can low ball the dealer and write them a check and say "take it or leave it". That's what my cousin did for his used CLK500, $36k invoice and wrote a $33k check, said the above line, then got it.

Originally Posted by Happyman
I actually thought about that and maybe saving my money to start something. Investing, business, saving.
Save it for education? If you're into that.
Old 07-14-14, 11:56 AM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drbazing
With that amount of "cash" you can low ball the dealer and write them a check and say "take it or leave it". That's what my cousin did for his used CLK500, $36k invoice and wrote a $33k check, said the above line, then got it.

Save it for education? If you're into that.

Well I'm pretty sure the dealer wouldn't take 35.5k for a 45k car, but good suggestion, maybe I'll go like 40k. And anyways I'm going abroad to study in Germany, the tuition there is 1,000 euro per year, like 1,300 USD, so that's not a concern, and i case you're wondering, I'm having hat ever car I get shipped there.
Old 07-14-14, 11:57 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Happyman
Hi everybody, I just turned 17 two days ago and I'm looking to purchase my first car. Obviously I'm here to ask you guys if the IS350 awd is a good choice. I have about $35,500 saved from the past few years. My father will also give me his old car (he is getting a new one too). He is giving me his 2008 LS600hL. The car is worth about 35k. So if I sell his car I will have enough for the 350, and some left over for general savings and investing. But what I'm here to ask is, is this a reliable first car? My parents are huge fans of Lexus they claim that they have never had a single problem with any of their Lexus's. Pease tell me any main problems and inconveniences this vehicle has. The AWD is necessary because i plan to drive this car to more northern states for weekend skiing.

I plan on making 2 upgrades to the car, TRD rear spoiler, and TRD Diffuser, that is all.
I say go for the 350.

And, ANY new car is going to be reliable in the sense that it is fully warrantied, even if you bought a new Kia, if something happened to it, its not like you'll go out of pocket fixing a new, warrantied car..

Ask your dad if he is ok with you trading in the the LS for IS. The LS is an old man car (I'm 40 btw). Get the 3IS, its younger, sporty, catches the ladies eyes etc...
Old 07-14-14, 12:00 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

350, but at your age, I would just save the money and drive your dad's car
Old 07-14-14, 12:10 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

The 350 awd is gonna be a great car for all skill levels but if your not used to driving on the road regularly, I would hold off on it. It is a more compact car than most and has a bit of power to it but nothing you cant handle. I personally would drive the LS600hL because its an amazing car, large hand has everything anyone can ask even though it is sometimes considered an "old mans" car. My advice to a 17 year old (even if I can go back and tell my self when I was 17). Keep the car, and save the money you have for college. If your parents are paying for college, save it for the nights you have to go out in college, dont spend it on a car.

Plus the LS is honestly a bigger chick magnet then the IS from my experience regardless of how old it is. Its not everyday you see a car with 450 hp with rear reclining seats.

Also if you are having the car shipped to germany, why not just buy a car there
Old 07-14-14, 12:21 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem pretty savvy, an IS350 AWD will hold it's value better than say a Mercedes.. but if you're going to Germany, you can always get a Mercedes or any other German car there, then a lot of times they will ship it back for free, that way you save the cost of shipping a car (2x), as well as paying taxes on it.

The LS is a nice, big car - but I wouldn't want one now, let alone when I was 17. It's just too much car, in my opinion. Plus with it being a hybrid, you have 2x as many systems that can break. Pick a reasonably nice car that you're comfortable in, then invest the rest.
Old 07-14-14, 12:29 PM
Happyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
You seem pretty savvy, an IS350 AWD will hold it's value better than say a Mercedes.. but if you're going to Germany, you can always get a Mercedes or any other German car there, then a lot of times they will ship it back for free, that way you save the cost of shipping a car (2x), as well as paying taxes on it.

The LS is a nice, big car - but I wouldn't want one now, let alone when I was 17. It's just too much car, in my opinion. Plus with it being a hybrid, you have 2x as many systems that can break. Pick a reasonably nice car that you're comfortable in, then invest the rest.
I'm honestly not the greatest fan of German cars, all the same and many problems the only German cars I'm really a fan of are like AMGs, M3s, and S4s. But honestly I'm a huge fan of Japanese cars because of the amazing reliability and ability to perform.
Old 07-14-14, 06:26 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is a great japanese brand, just do your research before buying as well. If your looking for an amazing reliable car then YES but if your looking to mod as well down the line, you will realize its not the best starter platform

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 AWD as my first car?