IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Just ordered a 2015 IS 350 AWD - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-14, 05:32 PM
sage149
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing about this is if there is a 2015 model, the 2014 models on the lot will be cheaper. Honestly not a whole lot of change between 2014 and 2015 as expected...
Old 07-10-14, 06:38 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OrionLex
Actually, I've been wondering - how useful do you find the power rear sunshade? Can you see through it while driving? Do you think it's necessary if I'm considering tinting my windows anyway?
The rear shade is really not necessary, especially if your intentions are to tint windows. I did not, and probably will not. As I have mentioned on many of my posts, this is the Mrs. car. She is not a fan of mods. And yes, I know tint is not really a mod, but it is a no go for her. The rear shade does keep down the effect the sun will have on the rear seats. You can see through it. However at night, we typically keep it lowered as it improves visibility.
Old 07-10-14, 09:16 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by Need4Speed
hmm I don't know how a dealership could allow a order if they don't know all the details about the car
I actually thought the same thing too (which is why I started this thread in the first place!), but I think that since the 2015 models are very similar to the 2014's, all the ordering codes are still the same. For example, "FJ" still denotes an F Sport Package with All Season Tires (even though the package is now improved with ventilated seats and heated steering wheel), "VN" still means Navigation/Mark Levinson Audio Package, "BD" still means blind spot monitor, etc. - so orders can still be placed the same as last year, but will come back as a 2015 model build now instead, including any relevant changes.

The problem is the F-Sport Package (FJ) was incompatible with many features last year, and it's unknown if the same artificial restrictions are in place for 2015, or if they've allowed for more flexibility when configuring 2015 F-Sports now. But from what I understand, this was a problem last year as well because many dealers weren't actually sure what was compatible with what, so they would let customers place orders and then wait and see if they were accepted or rejected by the factory - and this is basically what I have done as well. They'll be submitting my order (once I pick a color!) to see if the factory will accept it, or if they'll reject it due to feature incompatibilities with F-Sport...
Old 07-10-14, 09:25 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by sage149
Best thing about this is if there is a 2015 model, the 2014 models on the lot will be cheaper. Honestly not a whole lot of change between 2014 and 2015 as expected...
I guess this is a matter of opinion - to me the 2014 F-Sport was not an option because I absolutely wanted ventilated seats and heated steering wheel for a $50k+ car (we have all 4 seasons where I live!), so I was basically only considering a Luxury/Tech package model for 2014, even though I preferred the F-Sport styling and especially the option for Rioja Red interior.

With the addition of ventilated seats and heated steering wheel, this changes everything for me and I can finally consider an F-Sport in 2015!! It's still not perfect because many desirable features are still excluded for no good reason (no fog lights, no power steering column, no memory seats, no rain-sensing wipers, etc. etc.), but at least it's now close enough for me to consider actually buying the car!
Old 07-10-14, 09:39 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
The rear shade is really not necessary, especially if your intentions are to tint windows. I did not, and probably will not. As I have mentioned on many of my posts, this is the Mrs. car. She is not a fan of mods. And yes, I know tint is not really a mod, but it is a no go for her. The rear shade does keep down the effect the sun will have on the rear seats. You can see through it. However at night, we typically keep it lowered as it improves visibility.
Ok, thanks for the input - that's $210 I'll save by not getting the rear sunshade then (I was actually kinda worried about it being just another moving part to break anyway!)...
Old 07-10-14, 10:39 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this is a matter of opinion - to me the 2014 F-Sport was not an option because I absolutely wanted ventilated seats and heated steering wheel for a $50k+ car (we have all 4 seasons where I live!), so I was basically only considering a Luxury/Tech package model for 2014, even though I preferred the F-Sport styling and especially the option for Rioja Red interior.

With the addition of ventilated seats and heated steering wheel, this changes everything for me and I can finally consider an F-Sport in 2015!! It's still not perfect because many desirable features are still excluded for no good reason (no fog lights, no power steering column, no memory seats, no rain-sensing wipers, etc. etc.), but at least it's now close enough for me to consider actually buying the car!
I've been following your threads and I agree 100% which is why I'm waiting for the 2015's to come in. I really want ventilated seats, but also, once I heard the ML, I knew I wouldn't be happy without it, so I was at an impasse until I found out the 2015 F Sports were coming with ventilated seats. Now it's just a waiting game..

I'd also pass on the rear shade, just something else that can break. I'd say my only other complaints are no fog lights, no memory seats, and no power steering column, but I can live without those things - they aren't deal-breakers mostly because no one else will be driving my car and I can always add the JDM fogs if I REALLY want to.
Old 07-11-14, 12:43 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by moose66
Ok, thanks for the input - that's $210 I'll save by not getting the rear sunshade then (I was actually kinda worried about it being just another moving part to break anyway!)...
Damn, I may have to re-consider including the power rear sunshade again - I found out that even though my state allows tinting of all side and rear windows to 35%, my stupid city actually forbids tinting of the front side windows!!

I'm not sure the rear sunshade is still an option in 2015 though, since it's not mentioned in the product info pages anywhere: http://toyotanewsroom.com/releases/2...duct+specs.htm
Old 07-11-14, 12:51 PM
OrionLex
Driver

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I've been following your threads and I agree 100% which is why I'm waiting for the 2015's to come in. I really want ventilated seats, but also, once I heard the ML, I knew I wouldn't be happy without it, so I was at an impasse until I found out the 2015 F Sports were coming with ventilated seats. Now it's just a waiting game..

I'd also pass on the rear shade, just something else that can break. I'd say my only other complaints are no fog lights, no memory seats, and no power steering column, but I can live without those things - they aren't deal-breakers mostly because no one else will be driving my car and I can always add the JDM fogs if I REALLY want to.
Did you want an F-Sport as well, or were your requirements just ventilated seats and Mark Levinson? I could be mistaken, but I think you could've ordered a luxury model with both those features, if that's all you were looking for...

I agree that the other features aren't absolute dealbreakers for me either (unlike ventilated seats and heated steering wheel!), but I would've really liked to have fog lights and rain-sensing wipers as well (and it sounds like a lot of people on here really wanted memory seats!). My suspicion is that Lexus will slowly add them in over the next few years, which is quite annoying - I don't expect them to include every single feature in their normal builds (for obvious cost reasons), but if a customer wants to custom build a car I don't see why they should be artificially restricted from paying for whatever features he/she wants...
Old 07-11-14, 03:57 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Did you want an F-Sport as well, or were your requirements just ventilated seats and Mark Levinson? I could be mistaken, but I think you could've ordered a luxury model with both those features, if that's all you were looking for...
I originally wanted a luxury w/ ML, but there were none to be found and I don't care to wait for a custom build. While I wasn't keen the grill or the tach of the F Sport at first, I have to say the former has grown on me and I think the tach will just take some getting used to. I also LOVE the f-sport wheels, to the point where I would have sourced them or purchased them later. I don't care one way or another for a lot of the features (aside from the ones mentioned in my other post; fogs/memory seats/power steering column), and I do like the adjustable suspension.

I went to a local dealer and test drove them both, listened to the sound in them both, and if it weren't for the ventilated seats coming in the 2015, I would have bought the f-sport that day, in spite of not having ventilated seats.
Old 07-13-14, 01:59 AM
OrionLex
Driver

I originally wanted a luxury w/ ML, but there were none to be found and I don't care to wait for a custom build. While I wasn't keen the grill or the tach of the F Sport at first, I have to say the former has grown on me and I think the tach will just take some getting used to. I also LOVE the f-sport wheels, to the point where I would have sourced them or purchased them later. I don't care one way or another for a lot of the features (aside from the ones mentioned in my other post; fogs/memory seats/power steering column), and I do like the adjustable suspension.

I went to a local dealer and test drove them both, listened to the sound in them both, and if it weren't for the ventilated seats coming in the 2015, I would have bought the f-sport that day, in spite of not having ventilated seats.
I was very tempted to buy a 2014 non-F Sport model fully loaded but the lack of Rioja Red interior and the F-Sport grille ultimately kept me from pulling the trigger. Now, with 2015 builds I can finally have those along with ventilated seats and heated steering wheel, but lose out on a host of several other features instead - guess we can't win 'em all (in the U.S. market anyway)...
Old 07-13-14, 09:32 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

I was very tempted to buy a 2014 non-F Sport model fully loaded but the lack of Rioja Red interior and the F-Sport grille ultimately kept me from pulling the trigger. Now, with 2015 builds I can finally have those along with ventilated seats and heated steering wheel, but lose out on a host of several other features instead - guess we can't win 'em all (in the U.S. market anyway)...
No you can't win them all, but we can get pretty close, at least to the point where we won't have buyer's remorse! I've also come to the conclusion that you can't get everything you ever wanted out of a single car. I think the IS will make a fantastic daily driver, but you won't ever get the same feeling that you might get from an NSX, or the hauling capacity of an Escalade. But I also have no desire to drive those cars on a daily basis. Well.. maybe the NSX! But that's not quite practical..
Old 07-13-14, 11:39 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

No you can't win them all, but we can get pretty close, at least to the point where we won't have buyer's remorse! I've also come to the conclusion that you can't get everything you ever wanted out of a single car. I think the IS will make a fantastic daily driver, but you won't ever get the same feeling that you might get from an NSX, or the hauling capacity of an Escalade. But I also have no desire to drive those cars on a daily basis. Well.. maybe the NSX! But that's not quite practical..
I have a friend and his daily driver is a spotless black NSX. His vanity plate is "NO WIFE".
Old 07-14-14, 08:04 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, I may have to re-consider including the power rear sunshade again - I found out that even though my state allows tinting of all side and rear windows to 35%, my stupid city actually forbids tinting of the front side windows!!

I'm not sure the rear sunshade is still an option in 2015 though, since it's not mentioned in the product info pages anywhere: http://toyotanewsroom.com/releases/2...duct+specs.htm
Isn't there a virtually clear tint that is good at blocking sun and heat, it is what I was considering for the car I have now(I don't like dark tint) but just never got around to it I think it was ceramic and might have been llumar but I can't really remember.
Old 07-14-14, 08:21 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

I custom ordered my car and wanted the rear window shade...it was not alot of extra money at all...and it is so neat having it...It is not found on many cars, and does impress the friends.Also, when I park outside in the sun, it is one extra feature that will keep the car cooler. For me, ordering that was a no brainer
Old 07-14-14, 08:26 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
Isn't there a virtually clear tint that is good at blocking sun and heat, it is what I was considering for the car I have now(I don't like dark tint) but just never got around to it I think it was ceramic and might have been llumar but I can't really remember.
3M Crystalline, they have a 90% one that blocks 99.9% UV and 34% heat rejection. Lexus side glass for sure is UV rated but not sure about front and wear windshields. I was thinking about putting 90% on the windshield, its a bit pricey though

Quick Reply: Just ordered a 2015 IS 350 AWD - help!!