IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Question on WAXING your new car

Old 07-05-14, 11:50 PM
tkr128
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theoretically a brand new car should be perfectly clean. However, this is not always the case. A lot happens between the point the car is manufactured and you take delivery. Usually, after it's made, the cars may sit on a lot for a little bit until being transported to the port where they are shipped off to other countries. There, they may sit until the ship comes in. After that, it's driven onto the ship and starts it's journey across the sea which may take weeks until it arrives at the destination port. Once it arrives, it might sit at the port for another period of time before being transported by trucks to your dealer. If you're lucky, you'll pickup the car right after it's transferred off the truck. But for many other people, the car sits on the dealer's lot until you come around to buy it. During all this time, contaminants are being deposited onto the paint surface.

Some say it's overkill to clay a new car, but I personally wouldn't want to be waxing over any contaminants. I picked up my NGP IS350 a few weeks ago and plan to clay and do a decontamination process before I put on CQuartz/OptiCoat (still deciding on which one). My car definitely needs to be clayed.
Old 07-06-14, 07:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

put your hand in a plastic bag and feel the paint on a brand new car. Its not clean. Claybar sterilizes the surface of contaminants.
Old 07-06-14, 07:16 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default let the waxing begin

I just found out my long awaited car is here,,I will pick it up on wednesday...Atomic Silver IS350. I really do enjoy waxing a beautiful new car ! Especially when IT'S MINE
Old 07-06-14, 08:12 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gm4life
I wouldn't typical clay bar an entire new car. However, I always do hit them with at least a half dozen coats of good paste wax. For my money Megs Gold Class Carnuba Paste wax is the way to go. I clay bar sometimes after the winter etc. but typically wouldn't on a brand new car. When my IS comes in the coming months - I will be doing to it exactly what I mentioned above.
Which is better the megs WAX or the sonax product mentioned earlier ?

I can buy megs WAX from local dealers , but sonax is not available and I heard that sonax product can be used to give the clear bra good shine .
Old 07-06-14, 08:28 AM
Lost808
Pole Position

If I had the choice of only one product between wax or sealant, I will choose sealant every time. SONAX sealant is great and provides 6 months protection and awesome beading. However, SONAX is not slippery feeling after like wax is. It is smooth, but not slippery if that makes sense. The wax over the sealant will give it a really great deep shine and extra protection.
Old 07-06-14, 08:30 AM
gm4life
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AMNss
Which is better the megs WAX or the sonax product mentioned earlier ?

I can buy megs WAX from local dealers , but sonax is not available and I heard that sonax product can be used to give the clear bra good shine .
This is the stuff I use...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009IQXCM?cache=3ab31541cc1bba2c2149f316feba4a04&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1404660520&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I am pretty **** about cars and for the money think this is the "stuff."
Old 07-06-14, 09:58 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lost808
If I had the choice of only one product between wax or sealant, I will choose sealant every time. SONAX sealant is great and provides 6 months protection and awesome beading. However, SONAX is not slippery feeling after like wax is. It is smooth, but not slippery if that makes sense. The wax over the sealant will give it a really great deep shine and extra protection.
I heard that the "wax effect " doesn't last long only two to three washes .
" wax effect "<== good title for you know movie ...
Old 07-06-14, 04:51 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

Wax effect of what, sealant or wax? I use detail spray and fine microfiber towel to remove light (and I mean light) dust in between washes. That helps avoid washing all the time. The slippery feel of the wax lasts for months if I take care of it. The water beading lasts even longer.
Old 07-06-14, 05:37 PM
afdavey
Driver

WAX ON !

Enjoy your new ride ...

Sent from my iPhone 5s using IB AutoGroup
Old 07-06-14, 07:29 PM
shortstop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clay bar !

Clay bar is always the first step for any clean car fanantic. Then paint correction for brand new or old cars, followed by polish, and then wax or sealers. You never want to wax over contaminants.
Old 07-07-14, 09:08 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

There is only one way to do it and that's the right way. I would head to a site like autogeek.net or detailEra domain. Buy yourself a Porter Cable 7424 kit. This would be a good starting point.

Wash
Clay
Comping
Glaze
Seal
Wax
Spray Wax ( for leftover residues )

This keeps the wax effect and keeps the paint protected. OptI pro is a great product, as well there are many other " sealants " that act as another layer of protection. Personally, I wax my car one a week/two weeks. I'm ****, detailing is a hobby and my is350 f sport is black.

Autogeek is the most informative site on the net between their people and forums. Give the a buzz
Old 07-07-14, 02:07 PM
Hupperware
Driver School Candidate

Rail dust is a thing... it sucks for car paint. Clay bar.

Use Adam's Polishes. You cannot beat them.
Old 07-08-14, 04:12 AM
skip000
Driver School Candidate

Default dealership detailing car

My sales rep called me to pick up my new car wed morning...said it is in the shop being detailed, as we speak...I wonder what does that exactly mean??? Are they simply putting a coat of wax on it, or something more involved???? Also mentioned to him about all the BAD things I'm reading on this forum, about batteries dying...cars being dead in the morning...said he will check on this for me...not exspecting anything to come out of that thou.
Old 07-08-14, 06:59 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skip000
My sales rep called me to pick up my new car wed morning...said it is in the shop being detailed, as we speak...I wonder what does that exactly mean??? Are they simply putting a coat of wax on it, or something more involved???? Also mentioned to him about all the BAD things I'm reading on this forum, about batteries dying...cars being dead in the morning...said he will check on this for me...not exspecting anything to come out of that thou.
I had an IS250 Fsport that I got last year and just flipped it for the 350.

I never had 1 issue with the car that others are reporting other than the clunking i heard first that was from the parking brake issue. that never repeated itself. Yes the nav was a bit slow, but so what, I am not in a rush to get anywhere. I really found no issues with the car and yes I am very picky and OCD and that is why I got rid of the black 250 in favor of the Ultra White 350.

So while others may have issues, don't let that taint your view of the car. It is a great car, fun to drive and there may be issues. but the dealer will fix those.

The 350 is my 6th IS, and I have never had one mechanical issue with any of them. They all were fine and fun to drive and that is the main reason i keep getting new ones.

Enjoy your car, and just have fun. Life is too short to do otherwise.

Congrats on your car…..!!!