IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

is250 trashed in Autoblog comments

Old 07-05-14, 08:16 AM
zarraz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I had a srt4 neon and it was fast, those days are gone for me now, and I love the 250 for its looks and awc for winter driving, not to mention its fun to drive
Old 07-05-14, 10:17 AM
Slplknight
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all-i am from Germany. We have no speed limit on our Autobahn on many parts.Our roads are in a lot better condition and the average speed is higher.
It's hilarious for me to read that you guys blame the car as "slow". I was a few times in the States myself. So i know how the most people drive from Florida up to Wisconsin to Nevada and New York. The max speed was 65mph on Highways? Within Town 30-40mph? Too fast for the most people there...sorry but true.And i don't believe that you guys go every weekend on a track and get the last out of the 250.The most roads are in a "ok" condition but they are no match for European standard.
So what i wanna say- you complain for something what you only can get illegal or on a race track. You guys have cars with 300,400 or 600HP but can't use them. Even on the highway or when you enter one...you kick in the cruise control on 67mph and that's it. It's pretty nice to know that i have a fast car-but i never unleash the full potential on the road.
Maybe some of you will understand what i try to say-the other half will hate me from now..but it's ok.
Old 07-05-14, 12:42 PM
Jack1995
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slplknight
First of all-i am from Germany. We have no speed limit on our Autobahn on many parts.Our roads are in a lot better condition and the average speed is higher.
It's hilarious for me to read that you guys blame the car as "slow". I was a few times in the States myself. So i know how the most people drive from Florida up to Wisconsin to Nevada and New York. The max speed was 65mph on Highways? Within Town 30-40mph? Too fast for the most people there...sorry but true.And i don't believe that you guys go every weekend on a track and get the last out of the 250.The most roads are in a "ok" condition but they are no match for European standard.
So what i wanna say- you complain for something what you only can get illegal or on a race track. You guys have cars with 300,400 or 600HP but can't use them. Even on the highway or when you enter one...you kick in the cruise control on 67mph and that's it. It's pretty nice to know that i have a fast car-but i never unleash the full potential on the road.
Maybe some of you will understand what i try to say-the other half will hate me from now..but it's ok.
The most honest response ever!
And I totally agree with you.
350 owners please dont hate as I also know it feels wayyy better when it pulls compare to 250.

I am a 250 owner, for me commuting to school and places in SoCal the 250 is more than enough. The look of the 3IS is just so eye catching sometimes I dont even notice its a 2499 c.c car. Not to mention the interior makes the driving experience much better. IMO 250 is already a fun car to drive as it corners so well and feels safe at high speed
Old 07-05-14, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Philips
Autoblog ran an article on the update of 2015 is250, I read some of the comments people made. OMG they really disliked the car. Many say it is underpowered (probably yes) , ugly (hell no), with dated technology ( not true). And of course they trashed it because of they thought it is a soaped up Toyota.

I generally don't care what other people thinks, but since I love my car so much, it still hurt a bit. It is like hearing someone criticising my daughters. But it reminds me how different in opinion we all are. I think the car is sexy as hell, while there are some who whole heartedly think it is ugly. There are a lot to love about this car, I love the way it corners, the interior design is just perfect for me. it is a very refined car.

One common comment that i always found on-line regarding Lexus is , only the American falls for Lexus, the European know too well to avoid it. This snobbery really amazed me. I think these European elitists are just narrow minded brand *****s. I am Asian and lived in the States for 4 years. I think American have the most healthy open-mindedness towards cars. Whether they are Japanese, Korean , American of European, if the cars are good, they will sell well in the States. I think European consumers are missing a lot by turning their eyes aways from the gems from Asian and European Car makers. Besides, that statement is not based on fact since, Lexus is also doing quite well in Asia too.

Hope you excuse my rant as a fellow Lexus owner.
Please tell me you aren't getting hung up by self proclaimed car guru's posting comments. Have you read other articles comments on Autoblog? A vast majority are just negative nonesense and the opinions of trolls. Who cares it doesn't change how you or our forum feel about the IS and Lexus.

Falling from the top in 2011 and now back in the running, facing adversity, recalls and mother nature, Lexus fought back. Halo LFA supercar spurred the ressurection, new design language, superior reliability (it's not even close)

IS and GS are now the Ultimate Driving Machine(s). Revamped line-up, new RC and NX addtions, more F(s), Lexus is doing quite well and will continue to do so
Old 07-05-14, 04:21 PM
gm4life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading the comments on Autoblog too... I have news for those people... I am a HUGE car buff - in my extended family we have everything from cars to a BOF frame SUV. When I was young cars had always been about straight line speed, did it have the biggest engine etc. I am happy report several of the vehicles in the fleet have the "base" engine option - not because I don't like power but because I don't need the extra power.

I use cars to go to work. Take a trip, visit family and friends - I also enjoy to be able to take a drive on a nice weekend or evening. I don't need 400hp to do that - however I like balance. I am looking forward to being a first time Lexus buyer - I have looked at the C-Class, CLA, TSX, A4, 3 Series etc. I keep coming back to the IS 250 because of its strong list of assets like a smooth (however - small) V6, great styling, decent sized trunk and fairly comfortable backseat. Having driven an IS 250 F Sport AWD - I know the RWD IS 250 F Sport will have more than enough punch for me. 0-60 in 7.2 seconds is really a seven second car to sixty - hardly slow. Will it be slower than a V6 Accord or Camry - yes however - it will have balance great handling and right wheel drive (what I call RWD vehicles - they have a balance FWD cars never will). I consider it to be a win-win mix in Toyota/Lexus build quality, reputation for reliable, long lasting cars - the IS 250 is nearly perfect. Would a new Chevrolet SS be quicker - oh yes - then again I don't want something that gets 15 MPG on a good day. Again balance comes into play.

When a CLA 250 rings in right at 40K and an IS 250 F Sport RWD rings in at 41K - I will pay a grand more for a quality car with a silky V6, RWD and Toyota longevity. Do I care the Benz is a hair quicker to sixty? Hell - no. Do I want a buzzy turbo 4 in my luxury sports sedan? Hell - no. The IS 250 is a great car with wonderful balance even for people who "love cars."
Old 07-05-14, 07:23 PM
tkr128
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The IS250 is a fine car. Yes, it lacks some power compared to some of the turbo powerplants the Germans are using. However, the V6 in the IS250 is a smoother powerplant and in normal driving is powerful enough. In the LA area, you will see a lot more 250s than 350s since we're stuck in traffic all the time and can't really use all that power.

I did buy the 350 for a few reasons, but the 250 is still a fine car and good enough for everyday driving.
Old 07-07-14, 09:19 AM
stevieb54
Driver School Candidate

Wow I enjoyed reading this post, it made me feel better about my 14 250 F Sport. Ive been thinking if it was a mistake not to have bought a 350, but since its the wifes daily driver she got to have the final say in what she wanted. The few times I have taken it out it handles like a dream and I have had/driven many fast sports cars. What it lacks in power is made up with comfort and balance and looks.
You can sure tell the maturity levels of some owners by their posts. I like the reference to zits and McDonalds, of course I have yet to see any IS's with the lighted magnetic pizza delivery signs. LOL
Old 07-07-14, 12:22 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Why does everyone get upset when their car gets a bad reviews. You liked the car enough to buy it, in most cases and should be proud of your purchase. Who gives a crap what others think, professional or not.

I am also British and now live in the US and there could be any number of justifications for a poor review on a Lexus but as was previously mentioned, you dont see tons of them driving around. What you DO see lots and lots of is European cars, BMW especially.

At the end of the day, a bad review for the 250 IS in the UK isnt going to do much to or for Lexus corporate. And these days, with blogging and web reviews, there tend to be way, way too many reviewers these days anyway.
Old 07-07-14, 12:34 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I disagree with the opinion that the IS 250 is not a fun car. I just ripped mine through a decreasing radius turn this morning and the Mini Cooper douche who was trying to push me at the entrance to the turn was nowhere to be seen at the exit. I couldn't even spot those goofy little headlights. I don't care much about 0-60 and the car gives me the power I want when I want it. It's smooth. There was 1 occasion where the extra 100 ponies in the 350 would have been helpful, but otherwise, I have no complaints.
Old 07-07-14, 01:16 PM
lhn9021
Driver School Candidate

cant wait for the turbo is250 next year.
Old 07-07-14, 02:25 PM
TheForce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Philips
One common comment that i always found on-line regarding Lexus is , only the American falls for Lexus, the European know too well to avoid it. This snobbery really amazed me. I think these European elitists are just narrow minded brand *****s.
Well I am European (Dutch), and I fell for Lexus like many other people in Europe. First do some research before you say something, maybe there is another reason...My Lexus IS300H F Sport cost 62.000 Euro, about $80.000, so maybe it is too expensive in Europe compared to US which is to my opinion a better reason !!!
Old 07-07-14, 03:59 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheForce
Well I am European (Dutch), and I fell for Lexus like many other people in Europe. First do some research before you say something, maybe there is another reason...My Lexus IS300H F Sport cost 62.000 Euro, about $80.000, so maybe it is too expensive in Europe compared to US which is to my opinion a better reason !!!
Yep, this is what I meant in post #15 about these cars being crazy expensive over there. But then again, rarity comes at a premium anywhere.
Old 07-07-14, 10:59 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lhn9021
cant wait for the turbo is250 next year.
year after next.
Old 07-07-14, 11:58 PM
Slplknight
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
Yep, this is what I meant in post #15 about these cars being crazy expensive over there. But then again, rarity comes at a premium anywhere.
Yep!
Lexus is the premium brand of Toyota,so they act as premium dealers. The 350 you can't order in Germany and you only get the 250 or 300h. For a 250 F Sport (without the ML Audio by the way-can't order it here) you pay 40.150€ (55.600$).Lexus is just pricey..don't ask for Infinity,Acura or other Premium brands-they don't exist here. Ok infinity now has dealers but they only got 2-3 models and they start at 80.000$-high class.
The "lack" of power on a car with 208hp is still hilarious...or the need for turbos..so you can reach the 60mph in no time?!Or highway speed in no time? Once again-nice to have a car with infinite HP but cant use it properly! The 250 is a sporty cruiser not a sportscar.
Old 07-08-14, 12:21 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

90% of all production cars, people wish to have 20% more power. haha. the power struggle will never end. almost like money.

i drive a cayman S, wish i had another 30 more horses
i drive a ford fusion, wish i had another 20 more horses
i drive an IS, wish i had another 25 more horses

i have $60,000 a year job, i wish i am making $72,000
I have $1,000,000, wish I had more.

Ask an is350 owner, they wish they have 35 more horses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is250 trashed in Autoblog comments