IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A few questions for IS owners

Old 07-01-14, 10:28 PM
NebulaIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I don't think it matters where you live, you can get robbed anywhere. I take the same precautions.
I think it does matter where you live...around here, neighbors see you packing up the car, THEY'LL be keeping an extra close eye on your place to keep it safe. If this guy's neighborhood sees a loaded GS pulling in and out of his garage and they're fixing to rob him they'll do it whether he's home or not

But to the OP, I think you'll really like the new IS
Old 07-01-14, 11:12 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to have a couple members here that had both a GS and an IS so they would be ideal to ask. Some liked the IS more and some liked the GS more. I'd say more gave the nod to the GS. One guy explained it as his younger friends enjoyed his IS more and his older friends preferred the GS. He thought the reason the GS had more intake noise was there was a gap from the engine compartment to the cabin. I dunno about that myself as I would probably need to see pics but I also don't own a GS so I can't say anything about that but that is one theory.

As far as the IS goes, if it interests you test drive a 350 F-Sport ...test drives are free. Maybe you might not need one now but maybe a couple years from now that is what you will be ready for. As far as the seats go, I love 'em! As soon as I sat in the F-Sport seats I compared every car I test drove (S4, 335i, C350, etc.) to them. Almost all my friends have said they absolutely love them too and not once did I brag or mention them. In fact I don't ever tell them anything about my car but I don't mind giving them rides. The seats are awesome, and one of the biggest reasons I chose this car. Shame Lexus cars are still made for short people as finding a seat position where my legs can spread out but my arms aren't too far from the steering wheel is still my #1 cabin complaint about Lexus cars. Though there are other cabin complaints about the IS too. It is completely a driver's car so extra special attention is given in that arena but your passengers aren't given the same amount of attention to detail. This becomes obvious when you put your drink in the cupholder and your passenger can't rest their arm on the armrest. But the added room in the back is definitely noticeable over the 2IS so outside of my 6'2"+ friends everyone can sit in the back comfortably ...at least for short trips, maybe not long road trips. It's still not really a family car. You will want another car for that purpose even with just 1 kid.

When my mom came to visit she actually thought the car was very smooth and quiet and she won't let me play the radio when I drive her. I personally don't have any issues with the road noise but I don't want vault silence either as I find that to be too disconnected from the road. Everyone has different expectations in this area so you really just have to test drive the car yourself rather than going by what people on the internet say.

I think the GS is step up from the IS but the IS definitely fits my personality better so I can't blame you for wondering. I also don't think it's weird you want to pack your car without your neighbors knowing. My dad grew up on a farm where you could leave your doors unlocked and he always taught me to not advertise when you leave town. I say test drive it, the 350 that is. My mom even noticed the difference in the seats from the 250 non-F-Sport loaner car I had for a month and the F-Sport seats and she is no where near a car person. My "boss" hated the seats in his wife's 2IS but loves the 3IS seats. He's not happy with the lack of ventilated seats though as he is always whining about "swamp *****" lol. The GS is kush though, I can see why more people preferred that ride.
Old 07-02-14, 09:18 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NebulaIS
jesus lol what kind of neighborhood do you live in?
I live in a nice neighborhood that thieves would be inclined to target.
Old 07-02-14, 09:42 AM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only reason to pick the IS Fsport vs the GS Fsport is the IS is a nimbler driver's car with it's tactical gauges.
Old 07-02-14, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yeah, I hear you but I understand the IS F Sport seats fit like a glove so they don't need adjustable bolsters.
True but then not all humans are the same size
Old 07-02-14, 08:11 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After 2 days with the IS loaner I decided to keep the GS. On the positive side, even the IS250 (non F Sport) was tossable and fun to drive and had good torque off the line. I also liked the cool design of the interior. However, getting back in the GS really reinforced what a step up in quality the interior is and how much less road noise there is. With my new Michelin Pilot Super Sports, my GS now handles about 8/10ths like the IS (probably because the IS is 8/10ths the size).

If I was going for my first Lexus the IS would fit the bill nicely, but after being coddled by the GS it's hard to justify.

Still going to check out the new RC and NX.