IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cars Challenging Our IS350's In Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 04:19 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars Challenging Our IS350's In Streets?

So have anyone ever had a car challenging their 3rd Gen IS350 F Sport in the street? As if they would pull up around you, tail gate, and drive pass you? Probably yes, but whats worse than having another IS250/IS350 do this to you? What would you do then?

Today I had a terrible encounter with a brand new 3rd Gen IS250 non F Sport who decided to show me and my 3rd Gen IS350 F Sport his presence by driving near me going faster than I was (I was already going about 80 MPH on the freeway). We've spotted each other before entering the freeway where I was in back of him and saw his 250 badge, then I change lanes to get forward (not cutting him), afterwards he decided to go to the left of my lane and sped up to enter the freeway. I was in a hurry to Costco because they close early on the weekend, so I sped up and was driving fast too. I drove past him through the traffic and he later pull up in back of me quite close tail gate-like and we both were driving around 75-80 mph. Few seconds later he changes lane all the way to the right and was going I believe 90 mph. I don't know if he was in a hurry or not, but in my opinion he was probably so excited to drive his brand new IS250 in sport mode (he didn't even have a license plate yet) and was probably an immature kid in his teens or early 20s who thought he just got a bad *** car. From what I saw, the time it took for him to sped up, he was flooring his IS250. I hope he was blind and didn't see my IS350 F Sport badge or else that would upset me He was so lucky I wasn't in a hurry to Costco or I'd show him what the IS is really made of. Haha I sound a bit childish there, but I'm learning and hopefully I can be mature enough to not care about taunts and road rage etc, rather just drive peacefully and safely to enjoy the IS

And that moment of encountering him just ended when he sped up to 90 mph on the right lane to another part of the freeway. Sometimes I might think too much and maybe he wasn't showing off and taunting? Who knows, glad I got the IS350 though

Last edited by FinaLpeace; 06-29-14 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 04:34 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

From how you describe it, he was probably just happy to see another 3rd Gen IS instead of it being road rage.
Old 06-29-14, 06:23 AM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've cruised around with a few people. Some with nice cars and some with normal carsNever raced with anyone, more just two people who enjoy driving cars fast/aggressively. Some of it was definitely not the smartest haha. I was in Lake Forest IL by the 294 on ramp. Roads are very open there and a modded Ford Fusian was tailing me so I let me him go ahead because he had a radar. We went back and forth between cars and sped around eachother a few times. Eventually had to split ways, gave eachother a thumbs up and that was it. Another time a new Chevy Camaro SS was behind me when I was driving to the gym. Obviously that car is faster than the 3IS so I didn't push my luck haha. Both just zipped around some open roads for a while. I think she was impressed with the performance of the 3IS though. We pulled up next to eachother at a light and talked. She said she loved my car. Split ways after that. Gotta love cruising with people who enjoy nice cars and aren't afraid to let them breathe
Old 06-29-14, 06:46 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

----------

Last edited by davyjordi; 04-27-15 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 08:09 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
and was probably an immature kid in his teens or early 20s who thought he just got a bad *** car.
I'm 16 and drive a 250 F-Sport and I can confirm this is how it is with me but I am not like this kid. When I see another IS on the road whether it's driving on the highway or city at a red light, I tend to pull up right next to them and wait for the stare (I have dark tinting so they can't see me) and then they ask questions about my car. All of the people I have encountered who decide to talk to me have been nice so far and I have yet to come across someone who drives aggressively because we have the same car but I can admit that when I see a few of them on the highway, I tend to pass them a lot because of the joy of seeing them in my mirrors

tl;dr similar 250 driver, not as stupid
Old 06-29-14, 08:14 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

honestly, i don't know how many people are really challenged in areas where isx50s are found on every street corner. they, along with the 3 series, c-class, and a4 lineup comprise the plethora of entry-level luxury sedans on the streets of southern california.

dime a dozen.
Old 06-29-14, 09:13 AM
MGB1120
Pole Position

The IS is a Luxury Sports Car, Classy. I bet it turns alot of heads. I get annoyed when people used to either ride right next to be or ride my bumper to get my attention with the G8, its just immature, not looking for that! Ill go on a track if i am.
Old 06-29-14, 12:51 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

2nd gen 350 here. was "challenged" by a previous gen bmw 328.. i felt bad for him and his bimmer. so many bmws sound like their engines are under load driving around town when they really aren't.
Old 06-29-14, 02:44 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

I had posted something similar a while back about our cars that want to constantly race against the 3IS. From my experiences, they are Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, and Camaros. I hate all 4 of those cars. WIth a passion. Them with their stupid racing stripe decals.
Old 06-29-14, 03:06 PM
scarboy693
Rookie

Hyundai Drivers most often for me.... Especially the 2.0T Genesis Coupes.... Man was it funny to see their faces when I pulled away
Old 06-30-14, 01:29 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bucanero
I had posted something similar a while back about our cars that want to constantly race against the 3IS. From my experiences, they are Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, and Camaros. I hate all 4 of those cars. WIth a passion. Them with their stupid racing stripe decals.
Why the hate? Because you would lose?
Old 06-30-14, 01:00 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akshunj
Why the hate? Because you would lose?
Haha, lose what? A street car race?

My main reason to my dislike of those cars is quite simple. MOST of those car owners mindset.
"Let me get the loudest most obnoxious exhaust to show everyone I have a faster car."
"Why would you buy a 50k car that is so slow? I would have gotten a ___________."
"What the hell? My wheels aren't chrome? It's just a plastic cover that looks chrome? What a rip off."
"I buy American and support American workers." (The Mustang is the only one currently manufactured in the USA)

I could give 2 ****s less if their cars are faster, if I wanted a fast car I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't have chosen the IS350 platform. It's just annoying how often I will have one of those cars tailgate me or get next to me and rev their super hyper cool laser throwing engines.

I just recently purchased an new Chevy 2500HD LT truck, so I had the pleasure of being inside a Chevy dealer... They had a Camaro with some ZL1 package or whatever in the show room. It caught my eye so I went over and asked the sales guy if he could open it up. Worst mistake. I would have left more impressed if I hadn't gotten inside the car. Ridiculously tacky and cheap, this from a 55k+ car. They called it the "Most technologically advanced Camaro" they have ever produced. That kind of blew my mind, isn't the newer more expensive vehicle ANY company manufactures supposed to be the "most technologically advanced car" they have produced? As opposed to least or less? Either way, the Lexus had a way better driver side experience (comfort and layout) than the Camaro.

#rant
Old 06-30-14, 02:29 PM
makoto
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randre19
I've cruised around with a few people. Some with nice cars and some with normal carsNever raced with anyone, more just two people who enjoy driving cars fast/aggressively. Some of it was definitely not the smartest haha. I was in Lake Forest IL by the 294 on ramp. Roads are very open there and a modded Ford Fusian was tailing me so I let me him go ahead because he had a radar. We went back and forth between cars and sped around eachother a few times. Eventually had to split ways, gave eachother a thumbs up and that was it. Another time a new Chevy Camaro SS was behind me when I was driving to the gym. Obviously that car is faster than the 3IS so I didn't push my luck haha. Both just zipped around some open roads for a while. I think she was impressed with the performance of the 3IS though. We pulled up next to eachother at a light and talked. She said she loved my car. Split ways after that. Gotta love cruising with people who enjoy nice cars and aren't afraid to let them breathe
Yup, this has been my experience as well. No one has really "challenged" me, but I have had a few fun experiences with other people driving sporty cars. Last one I can remember is when a 350Z and another 3rd gen IS350 appeared, and we all just zipped around the freeway for a while. Another time, a Focus ST trailed me for a while, then we just cruised around. Always puts a smile on my face, haha.
Old 06-30-14, 03:25 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm getting spanked by SUVs, Vans, etc. That's because I'm just being a *****. Maybe in a year, when I'm more comfortable.
Old 06-30-14, 09:59 PM
sumohax0r
Rookie

2014 IS 350 F-Sport here, I've had a few of these encounters with other cars, and I've had at least 5 people give me complements about it. It really is a head turner, but I do wish this car had a higher stock power to weight ratio. I mean they really sell it as a sports car, but with ~ 3700lbs and only 306hp it's slightly underwhelming. I've leased my car so I won't be making any upgrades but I would really like to see them consider a more powerful engine in the future, ~400-450HP would make this car truly remarkable on the track and the street, worthy of the F-Sport name.

Quick Reply: Cars Challenging Our IS350's In Streets?