IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

12V port socket splitter?

Old 06-21-14, 08:56 AM
dasbuch
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man, trim removal tools. That was the kind of stuff I didn't want to get into. I will take a look at the DIY thread when I get some time, but I'm just not skilled with this kind of stuff and I'm afraid I would screw something up.
Old 06-21-14, 11:19 AM
afdavey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dasbuch
I was being honest about the duffle bag scenario and the auto accident and that happened in a state where RDs are legal. Hardwired or not wouldn't matter if driving through VA. I can take it from the mirror as easily as the dashboard going through barney fife territory. When I drive through VA they are usually not detecting radar and seem indifferent as to whether I remember to take it down when I do.
dasbuch - did you move overnight? Your location yesterday was VA...today SC.
Old 06-21-14, 11:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Dont be intimidated. Trim removal tools are simple and inexpensive but incredibly useful. Used them so many times for various things and mods. Highly recommended to have a set. I most certainly wouldnt decide on a different car because of the location of a 12V socket.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20trim%20tools
Old 06-21-14, 12:42 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by afdavey
dasbuch - did you move overnight? Your location yesterday was VA...today SC.
Well I explained that in an earlier post which I left up for half a day and then edited it because it was a bit on the snarky side, and then later decided that as worded it was counter-productive so I edited it.

Basically it advised not to assume that any one person is tethered to any single residence or is always in the same place they were when they created the account.

I travel quite a bit and I guess that's all anyone needs to know. I don't think the profile of this forum is really worried about whether location means where someone lives or where they were when they signed up, so if I were you I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If it means a great deal to you, my primary residence for tax purposes is not in the state of VA.

I've now modified the value to be even more vague. Hopefully that gives you one less thing to worry about.

It's also generally not polite to imply someone is lying (re: the description of the car accident and my preference for portability), so try to figure out whether your goal is to make friends or be helpful then maybe ask yourself if your behavior is in line with that strategy.

Last edited by dasbuch; 06-21-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-21-14, 12:50 PM
dasbuch
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Dont be intimidated. Trim removal tools are simple and inexpensive but incredibly useful. Used them so many times for various things and mods. Highly recommended to have a set. I most certainly wouldnt decide on a different car because of the location of a 12V socket.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...20trim%20tools
I guess intimidated is partially the right word. Also still recovering from a recent surgery, getting into fiddly places on the car for me can literally be painful. One of the other reasons is I simply don't want the dealer to be able to say I screwed something up, and yes I'm also leery of "experimenting" on a brand new car when I have very little experience working on cars.

But, the trim tools are interesting, I thought these would be some sort of model-specific tools. It looks like they are mostly like pry bars? I really should learn how to do some of this stuff.